Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #1

George Lepp Workshop

I attended an 8 hour workshop Sunday (5/23) at UCONN in Storrs, CT. For those of you who may not know who Mr. Lepp is, just pick up an issue of Outdoor Photographer magazine. You'll find him in there. ;-)

It was a very good and informative class and Mr. Lepp was delightful, funny and obviously a real pro in every sense of the word. He spoke of "Capturing the POSSIBILITIES" when you take photos. I'm working here from my notes (which were 8 pages long) so I want to quote a few key things he said that stood out for me: The first is that "I've been using Photoshop for 10 or 12 years and I still don't know how to fully use it". (That made me feel better about my skills, but also 'worried' about the plausibility of anyone being able to master that piece of software...other than Scott Kelby. lol)

There were also tips offered about other software plug-ins we could/should use to help us develop our work.

Another thing he said which spoke volumes was "Ansel Adams spent more time in the dark room than he did taking photos". Meaning, AA had a vision of what he wanted to capture and then went back to his darkroom and created the photo he saw in his mind from the raw work. Now there's no doubt some may disagree with Mr. Lepp's opinions about creating the image YOU want to see, but it is one that I happen to agree with him upon. That is not to say, however, that one should not strive to take the 'perfect' photo in its raw state. But what Mr. Lepp did emphasize is to "USE YOUR SOFTWARE". He also spoke to previsualizing; How do you want the picture to look (another reference back to Ansel Adams).

Mr Lepp also discussed what the keys to obtaining a sharp image are: Know how to optimize your lens output. Use good hand technique. Know how and why to lock up your mirror and when to turn OFF IS or VR (i.e. shake reduction).

And then of course he went into more detail about the aforementioned. He also lectured on how to get the correct exposure, how many MP do you 'NEED' (and that not all MP are created equally), and learn to paint with light, among a myriad of other sub topics including HDR, Gigapans and Gigaramas, time lapse, HD video, etc. And toward the end he got into things that I know I will never do (e.g. gigaramas from helicopters and such, lol), but it was interesting nonetheless. In summation of the program he said to "Know what the possibilities are".

■Capture
■Edit
■Optimize
■Save Safely
■Share

Oh yes and one other key thing that he put much emphasis on: DO NOT KEEP IMAGES YOU DON'T NEED! In essence, in the world of digital photography there is no need to clutter up your hard drive (or other saving devices/media) with poor and/or duplicate photos. Keep the best, get rid of the rest. I liked that actually...

In closing, I walked away feeling still humbled by how much I don't know, but also pleased that I can take the knowledge I aquired yesterday down that long road that leads to an educated photographer.

Peace guys and keep 'shooting' for the pure joy of it.

Laurette (Laurie)

PS I forgot to add that the whole workshop was very well done so kudos to Photo Connection! They not only fed us well but they presented everyone with a Canon 'goody bag' upon entering. Now being a Pentax owner/user...I'm still sorting out how I feel about that.

;-) In all seriousness, it was much more than I expected and I will definitely attend their workshop offerings in the future.

Last edited by Naturenut; 05-28-2010 at 10:35 AM.
05-30-2010, 07:33 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great insight, sounds like it was a wonderful workshop. I have admired George Lepp's work for a while.
05-30-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Thank you for that report - it sounds like an interesting experience. However I think the issue about not keeping duplicate/similar images isn't clearcut. If an image is something you wouldn't want even if it was technically correct, then obviously get rid of it. But as I learn more, and use different software, sometimes I'll find I can do more with a different exposure bracket, for example, than the one I might have chosen at first. And I've also had cases with "duplicates" where I've noticed something just slightly different about one or another long after initially examing the images. Probably for someone as experienced as Mr Lepp, it's easier to know which images to keep and which to discard, but for the rest of us it might be better to keep some questionable images around a while.

Paul
06-02-2010, 06:15 AM   #4

Original Poster