Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2010, 04:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member
spystyle's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 424
Are cameras evolving into cell phones?

The new micro 4/3 has no mirror or viewfinder and tiny lenses, it has me wondering - at which point in camera evolution will someone walk up to a photographer and ask - "Hey can I make a quick call with that?"

At which point could $1000 "SLR's" be mistaken for a Kodak EasyShare? Side by side the shooters stand with arms stretched out, composing on the LCD, which one is a Dad holding Mom's $100 EasyShare and which one is the guy with the $1000 "mirror-less SLR" ? They look the same

I'd rather see the opposite trend, where viewfinders get bigger and bigger, even bigger than the old film cameras - where you look in the viewfinder and see through the lens so clearly, you can make very thoughtful compositions... and it's never mistaken for a cell phone or EasyShare

What do you think ?

05-28-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member
spystyle's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 424
Original Poster
Well no replies, I guess cameras are not evolving into cell phones
05-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 49,307
But cell phones are evolving into compact P&S cameras! Not the other way around, yet, but I bet that eventually you'll be able to make calls from your Pentax DSLR tongue
05-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member
justinr's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tipperary
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 394
It's not the making of calls but the receiving of them that would fry my head! Do you really want a ringtone going off when you are busy with the camera?

Nope, phones and proper cameras should be kept as separate tools performing quite separate tasks and may the fleas of a thousand camels infest the armpits of the first person to combine the two.

05-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,385
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
But cell phones are evolving into compact P&S cameras! Not the other way around, yet, but I bet that eventually you'll be able to make calls from your Pentax DSLR :tongue:
There may be a benefit to that. Journalists, sports photographers, etc could instantly email high quality pictures without having to download to a computer first.
05-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member
justinr's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tipperary
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 394
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
There may be a benefit to that. Journalists, sports photographers, etc could instantly email high quality pictures without having to download to a computer first.
True, but it doesn't have to be built into the camera itself. It could fit like an external flash or battery pack.
05-29-2010, 04:49 AM   #7
Senior Member
TheTenaciousOne's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Adelaide, SA, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 111
Camera phones are getting better and better but they wont ever be able to get a high quality lens in there. Its physical restraints. While one day the sensor in a cell phone may be as good as those in p&s from today, im sure the sensor in a dslr is going to be even better still.
Phone cameras are getting fair good these days though and i use mine alot to copy documents for later reference
05-29-2010, 04:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member
eccs19's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lisle, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,505
QuoteOriginally posted by TheTenaciousOne Quote
Phone cameras are getting fair good these days though and i use mine alot to copy documents for later reference
Sounds like your James Bond. Using for phone for spy stuff.

05-29-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Steve Beswick's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ontario, California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,689
QuoteOriginally posted by justinr Quote
Nope, phones and proper cameras should be kept as separate tools performing quite separate tasks and may the fleas of a thousand camels infest the armpits of the first person to combine the two.
Well, if P&S counts, that would be Samsung:
Samsung releases AMOLED 12M Camera/Phone: Digital Photography Review
05-29-2010, 12:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member
justinr's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tipperary
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 394
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Mmmmm..... That's probably worth 500 camels.
05-29-2010, 04:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member
Mike Cash's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Japan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,952
QuoteOriginally posted by spystyle Quote
The new micro 4/3 has no mirror or viewfinder and tiny lenses, it has me wondering - at which point in camera evolution will someone walk up to a photographer and ask - "Hey can I make a quick call with that?"

At which point could $1000 "SLR's" be mistaken for a Kodak EasyShare? Side by side the shooters stand with arms stretched out, composing on the LCD, which one is a Dad holding Mom's $100 EasyShare and which one is the guy with the $1000 "mirror-less SLR" ? They look the same

I'd rather see the opposite trend, where viewfinders get bigger and bigger, even bigger than the old film cameras - where you look in the viewfinder and see through the lens so clearly, you can make very thoughtful compositions... and it's never mistaken for a cell phone or EasyShare

What do you think ?
SLR is not a synonym for "high-end camera" and a high-end high-dollar camera not of SLR construction is not an SLR. The English language has been butchered and bastardized quite enough over the last couple of decades without our further exacerbating the problem.

See: Rule 13
05-29-2010, 04:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member
spystyle's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 424
Original Poster
13. Use the right word, not its second cousin.

I agree, they shouldn't be able to call it a "mirrorless SLR" if it doesn't actually "reflex" LOL

No mirror means it can't be a "reflex" camera because it isn't reflecting.

No rangefinder, no twin lens, not even a viewfinder ...

I guess technically it is a "point and shoot" with interchangeable lenses

Last edited by spystyle; 05-29-2010 at 04:51 PM.
05-29-2010, 06:05 PM   #13
Pentaxian
reeftool's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,683
I think the OP's main gripe is that an expensive, high quality camera should somehow look like one. The problem is, we live in a monkey see, monkey do world. That's why Hyundai builds cars that look like Jaguar's.
05-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #14
WJW
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 382
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I think the OP's main gripe is that an expensive, high quality camera should somehow look like one. The problem is, we live in a monkey see, monkey do world. That's why Hyundai builds cars that look like Jaguar's.
Or else they still have some British Leyland or Ford people working there.
05-30-2010, 03:50 AM   #15
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 29
Cameras aren't evolving into cell phones. Human beings are evolving into cell phones and cameras. Soon, they're going to be able to implant chips in our brains, so you can make a phone call just by thinking it. You'll also be able to take pictures of things by blinking in their general direction, and then eject a 400dpi colour-calibrated print from your arsehole.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, cameras, cell, easyshare, photography, viewfinder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Driving & Cell Phones BillM General Talk 38 01-25-2010 06:28 PM
Cell phone batteries Ratmagiclady General Talk 35 12-05-2009 04:32 PM
cell phones- this is for poeple in the US redpigeons General Talk 34 09-15-2009 08:45 AM
How good is your cell phone cam? K-9 Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories 14 08-14-2009 05:33 PM
street shots with the DEE VEE STYLE.. its evolving! distorted_vision Post Your Photos! 39 05-02-2008 05:21 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:15 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top