Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-28-2010, 04:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Are cameras evolving into cell phones?

The new micro 4/3 has no mirror or viewfinder and tiny lenses, it has me wondering - at which point in camera evolution will someone walk up to a photographer and ask - "Hey can I make a quick call with that?"

At which point could $1000 "SLR's" be mistaken for a Kodak EasyShare? Side by side the shooters stand with arms stretched out, composing on the LCD, which one is a Dad holding Mom's $100 EasyShare and which one is the guy with the $1000 "mirror-less SLR" ? They look the same

I'd rather see the opposite trend, where viewfinders get bigger and bigger, even bigger than the old film cameras - where you look in the viewfinder and see through the lens so clearly, you can make very thoughtful compositions... and it's never mistaken for a cell phone or EasyShare

What do you think ?

05-28-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well no replies, I guess cameras are not evolving into cell phones
05-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But cell phones are evolving into compact P&S cameras! Not the other way around, yet, but I bet that eventually you'll be able to make calls from your Pentax DSLR tongue
05-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's not the making of calls but the receiving of them that would fry my head! Do you really want a ringtone going off when you are busy with the camera?

Nope, phones and proper cameras should be kept as separate tools performing quite separate tasks and may the fleas of a thousand camels infest the armpits of the first person to combine the two.

05-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
But cell phones are evolving into compact P&S cameras! Not the other way around, yet, but I bet that eventually you'll be able to make calls from your Pentax DSLR :tongue:
There may be a benefit to that. Journalists, sports photographers, etc could instantly email high quality pictures without having to download to a computer first.
05-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
There may be a benefit to that. Journalists, sports photographers, etc could instantly email high quality pictures without having to download to a computer first.
True, but it doesn't have to be built into the camera itself. It could fit like an external flash or battery pack.
05-29-2010, 04:49 AM   #7

Camera phones are getting better and better but they wont ever be able to get a high quality lens in there. Its physical restraints. While one day the sensor in a cell phone may be as good as those in p&s from today, im sure the sensor in a dslr is going to be even better still.
Phone cameras are getting fair good these days though and i use mine alot to copy documents for later reference

05-29-2010, 04:55 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TheTenaciousOne Quote
Phone cameras are getting fair good these days though and i use mine alot to copy documents for later reference
Sounds like your James Bond. Using for phone for spy stuff.
05-29-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by justinr Quote
Nope, phones and proper cameras should be kept as separate tools performing quite separate tasks and may the fleas of a thousand camels infest the armpits of the first person to combine the two.
Well, if P&S counts, that would be Samsung:
Samsung releases AMOLED 12M Camera/Phone: Digital Photography Review
05-29-2010, 12:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Mmmmm..... That's probably worth 500 camels.
05-29-2010, 04:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by spystyle Quote
The new micro 4/3 has no mirror or viewfinder and tiny lenses, it has me wondering - at which point in camera evolution will someone walk up to a photographer and ask - "Hey can I make a quick call with that?"

At which point could $1000 "SLR's" be mistaken for a Kodak EasyShare? Side by side the shooters stand with arms stretched out, composing on the LCD, which one is a Dad holding Mom's $100 EasyShare and which one is the guy with the $1000 "mirror-less SLR" ? They look the same

I'd rather see the opposite trend, where viewfinders get bigger and bigger, even bigger than the old film cameras - where you look in the viewfinder and see through the lens so clearly, you can make very thoughtful compositions... and it's never mistaken for a cell phone or EasyShare

What do you think ?
SLR is not a synonym for "high-end camera" and a high-end high-dollar camera not of SLR construction is not an SLR. The English language has been butchered and bastardized quite enough over the last couple of decades without our further exacerbating the problem.

See: Rule 13
05-29-2010, 04:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
13. Use the right word, not its second cousin.

I agree, they shouldn't be able to call it a "mirrorless SLR" if it doesn't actually "reflex" LOL

No mirror means it can't be a "reflex" camera because it isn't reflecting.

No rangefinder, no twin lens, not even a viewfinder ...

I guess technically it is a "point and shoot" with interchangeable lenses

Last edited by spystyle; 05-29-2010 at 04:51 PM.
05-29-2010, 06:05 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the OP's main gripe is that an expensive, high quality camera should somehow look like one. The problem is, we live in a monkey see, monkey do world. That's why Hyundai builds cars that look like Jaguar's.
05-29-2010, 06:45 PM   #14
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I think the OP's main gripe is that an expensive, high quality camera should somehow look like one. The problem is, we live in a monkey see, monkey do world. That's why Hyundai builds cars that look like Jaguar's.
Or else they still have some British Leyland or Ford people working there.
05-30-2010, 03:50 AM   #15

Photos: Albums
Cameras aren't evolving into cell phones. Human beings are evolving into cell phones and cameras. Soon, they're going to be able to implant chips in our brains, so you can make a phone call just by thinking it. You'll also be able to take pictures of things by blinking in their general direction, and then eject a 400dpi colour-calibrated print from your arsehole.