Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2010, 08:14 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Going to Prague in a few days...

...and since my wife won't be joining me it's the perfect time to treat my LBA...

Anyone here got any good tips on where to go, perhaps what to shoot (or what not to shoot)? I'll be looking for some old glass, any good stores? Perhaps stores I should avoid?

I'm also taking my dad's old Ricoh KR-5 and shooting my first rolls of film!

05-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pontusadefjord Quote
...and since my wife won't be joining me it's the perfect time to treat my LBA...

Anyone here got any good tips on where to go, perhaps what to shoot (or what not to shoot)? I'll be looking for some old glass, any good stores? Perhaps stores I should avoid?

I'm also taking my dad's old Ricoh KR-5 and shooting my first rolls of film!
I visited Prague for a few days a couple of years ago.

While I went for a conference, I had a few spare days to tour because I needed to stay over a saturday to get a low airfare.

I travelled light, sigma 10-20, tamron 28-75F2.8 and SMC 135mmF2.5 one body only.

There is a lot to see, and you can walk around from place to place.

There are many open churches, and all are in wonderful condition. some will allow photography, others will not, but it is usually posted.

Also there is the charles bridge, the castle (the self guided tour and admission fee is worth it), the parliment, and the old town center.

Took about 1500 shots in total and am dying to go back.

Great food and beer also

I didn't see any real bargons on lenses. I thought there might be some old east block glass but where I was, I didn;t see any.
05-28-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I went there in October of 2005. We stayed between Old Town and Wenceslas Square. What was good was amber jewelry and crystal although it's mostly Polish (good but not really local). We took a walk from our location to the finnuclar rail way on the west side of the river. It get's you up on the hill to see their version of the Eiffel tower (very cool and interesting location). You can then hike from there north to the Charles Castle complex and return via the Charles Bridge (very famous and interesting). That should provide a lot of photo ops. We also went to the State opera house for a show - it's really quite interesting and you can reserve online ahead of time. Old town square and churches are also excellent for photography. Be able to photograph in low light without flash inside a lot of those.

Only bad thing was watch out for pick pockets. We encountered one on the subway. He got nothing but distracted us as the train started by grabbing my wife's hand as if to help while the other went through her purse.

I wish I'd done the river cruise and wish I'd gone to Pilzen (where pilsner beer was created).

I didn't have my DSLR then only a point and shoot. But, I'd agree with Lowell's suggestions above for lenses UWA for architecture, fast lenses for low light.

I recall that Prague is called the city of a thousand steeples - with good reason.

Oh, one eating recommendation. Look up Buffalo Bill's Restaurant off of Wenceslas Square (just west of the north end). It was founded by a guy from Iowa as I recall. Best Mexican Food in Prague! Really! Fun place.
06-01-2010, 06:24 AM   #4
axl
Inactive Account

There is a lot to see in Prague and lot to photograph.
Mainly around the historic old city, castle and it's majestic cathedral, many bridges etc. I was there some 10 years ago but I'm definitely planninng to come back with cameras...
From my mmories, good UWA/WA is must IMO
my 2p

06-01-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
rkt

Coincidently I am about to visit Prague as well over the coming days ... and I thought of the exact same thing ... though my research showed that the prices there are not any better than Germany ... though it seemed some shops had a larger selection (at least online) ... so here are a few links I found ...

Objektivy Pentax

Výsledky hledání: pentax

Digitální fotoaparáty\Zrcadlovky\Objektivy\Pentax - Czech Computer | czc.cz

Objektivy Pentax| Megapixel.cz

Jan Pazdera - Fotopřístroje a videokamery

Now just hope that I get some nice snaps while I am there ...
06-01-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I think this shot pretty much captures the essence of Prague...
It is from the old city at dawn.

Seriously speaking: a lovely city with really a lot to see and to shoot. The old city, the river and the castle hill are quite sufficient for several days.

Last edited by PePe; 07-21-2013 at 02:32 AM.
06-02-2010, 06:59 AM   #7
Forum Member

since i lived there some short time ago, the best recomends: if u into architecture, than old tow, as guys here described. Castle, Charles bridge (currently under reconstruction), Dancing house, Prasna brana (Prasna gate), Old Museum with Vaclav square, and u can get amazing overwiev from park Letna, or from tower on top of hill Petrin (walking distance from castle). if u need some tips on where to eat or pubs, write what ur about like and i might b able to help u pinpoint something 4 u

06-02-2010, 07:06 AM   #8
Forum Member

and about the shops: well, i buy there most things online, but u might want to give this one chance: eBazar Centra FotoŠkoda – použitá a starší fotografická technika nejen pro sběratele . It's located just of Vaclav square in Old town near tram stop, so there is no chance u won't go around, and they got there sometimes some lovely second hand/vintage stuff, as well as of course new one
06-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #9

Original Poster
Right now I'm on my way home. Had a lot of work and not much time for taking pictures, but I got a few. I was at FotoSkoda and the store with old stuff just across the street - great stores both of them. Found a sweet DA 40 ltd I just had to buy. :ugh:

I'll post some pictures later in the weekend if I can find the time...