Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Removing those "old school" labels from your gear?

Ok I searched high and low, on the forums and on the web. I guess part of the problem is I don't even know exactly what to call them.

Remember those old school labels that were all that back 30-40 years ago? You know the ones that you dial in a letter, squeeze the handle, and then proceed to do this until you're done with the label? Yeah these things:

I see these on quite a bit of old camera equipment I come across...and usually removing these types of labels almost always involves some type of paint/finish loss because the things were just so darn sticky.

Here's my dilemma. I've recently purchased someone's entire collection of Pentax K-mount stuff...and while almost everything is in Mint Condition with the boxes....just about every lens, camera body, and some of the accessories have these types of labels on them.

So...anyone have any pointers on getting this type of label off while not damaging any of the finish on the equipment?

06-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
They are called Dymo labels (the name on the gun is a hint) and the glue was designed to stick so well that any attempt to remove the label would require enough force to mar the equipment.
I've had some success burning the labels off of tools, but I wouldn't want to do that to a camera body.
06-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Use naphtha, available at the paint department of your local hardware stores.

If you don't want it in large quantity (quart), it's also available as "lighter fluid" (Zippo or Ronsonol) from your department stores.

Read this.
06-02-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Funny, even as a kid I've always had problems getting those labels to stick for more than a few days. The old ones must be made better.

Will "GooGone" (or "LabelLifter") work?
It won't soak through heavy plastic like it will with paper labels, of course, but maybe you can slowly loosen the edges until its off. It works a bit better than lighter fluid. Still flammable though. :-)

06-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Have you tried 3M adhesive remover? Can usually find it in Walmarts automotive section..its in a spray can...that stuff works great.
06-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See what ethyl or methyl alcohol does. I use it to remove label adhesives from a lot of things.
06-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #7

Wd 40

As a printer {among other things}, I work with pressure sensitive materials pretty regularly. The best thing I've found to remove them is WD 40. All you have to do is get a small area up from the surface and spray the stuff well with WD40 and it will come loose!
06-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Just one note, be careful about some solvents.
They will eat away plastic and rubber as well as the label goo.
Not sure of any of the ones listed above fall into that category, but I'd read up a bit on any solution before going hog-wild on the labels.

Last edited by amoringello; 06-02-2010 at 04:25 PM.
06-02-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Just one note, be careful about some solvents.
They will eat away plastic and rubber as well as the label goo.
Bot sure of any of the ones listed above fall into that category, but I'd read up a bit on any solution before going hog-wild on the labels.
You are spot on about using extreme caution with solvents. Methyl Alcohol (wood alc.) can do bad stuff to many plastics. Acetone can as well.
06-02-2010, 05:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Geez, I don't see an issue with these labels.
As long as they don't interfere with how the gear works. Leave them onboard. Take it as part of the novelty of buying older equipment.
It's part of the charm. It's not like one was the original owner.
I don't understand the need to remove. But best of luck in the removal.
06-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Don't have any suggestions on how to remove the labels but there's one of the Dymo guns laying around my office, you can put your own labels over the top.
06-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Canola Oil Believe it or not, canola oil, corn oil, or other cooking oils are great for removing adhesive stick'um. Then you have to remove the oil with soapy (detergent) water. This is a viable option if you cannot use solvents.

You just take a tissue or wad of toilet paper, put on a drop or two (depending on the size of the adhesive smear) of the cooking oil, and smear it on the adhesive. Then take a clean tissue and wipe the oil and adhesive off. Takes a bit of patience, but it usually works very well, in my experience.
06-03-2010, 07:04 AM   #13
Banned

Try applying a little heat, a blow dryer will do, warming the label should help loosen the glue. You can then use a light amount of adhesive remover to wipe away any residue.
06-03-2010, 08:20 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone...

I took one of the cheaper items to test it out "just in case", tried a drop of Ronsonol on a q-tip and just rubbed lightly around the edges of the labels...after a minute or so the corners lifted up and the rest came off pretty easily...any remaining residue came off with the same q-tip....with no damage to the finish whatsoever.
06-03-2010, 06:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

GooGone is an orange oil based adhesive remover if the smell of the other stuff gets to you.