Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2010, 03:19 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Taking photos for money

I started a thread something like this some time ago, but the job fell through.

Something else has popped up. My family are selling the house and the photographer from the real estate agent came around tonight. I started having a chat with him and he invited me to follow him around the house giving me a few tips. As it works out, he is looking for a photographer to employ, but is not looking for someone in the real estate game for fear of losing clients.

Now, the terms and conditions seem to drift towards a Canon kit. From what I could see, it was the body that was the most expensive part of his kit. He used a 7d with a 10-22/f3.5-4.5, with another non-L series zoom & 50/1.8 that stayed in the bag. This, along with two flashes & a manfrotto tripod, is apparently worth around the $AUD 5,000 mark. I think I'll tag along with him to a few houses to see if it works. I've some things to learn about flash.

Could the kit be had for any cheaper than that though? I would imagine the 7D could be substituted for a 50D or even 40D with good glass.

OR, is it worth trying to convince him that a K7 & the Sigma 10-20/4-5.6 can do half the job? I don't really know too much about Pentax flash units either.

06-03-2010, 05:25 AM   #2
Ari
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do real estate work, from pre-foreclosures to multi-million dollar homes with my k7d, sigma 10-20, my manfrotto tripod and a couple of flashes. Haven't had a client complain about my work yet. This is mostly for multi-listing services, preparing displays for realtor owned properties and other websites (not real estate magazines), but I get very satisfactory results with my gear.
06-03-2010, 05:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I am sure that for that job the K7&Sigma are more than capable. For flash you can use a Vivitar auto flash because your subjects will not run away or move so you'll have time to set it up properly

Regards,

k
06-03-2010, 06:05 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
I do real estate work, from pre-foreclosures to multi-million dollar homes with my k7d, sigma 10-20, my manfrotto tripod and a couple of flashes. Haven't had a client complain about my work yet. This is mostly for multi-listing services, preparing displays for realtor owned properties and other websites (not real estate magazines), but I get very satisfactory results with my gear.
Thanks, that's nice to know.

06-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #5

I don't see how the 7D would be beneficial at all when shooting houses.

Dxomark rating for the sensor is actually lower (per pixel level) for that one vs the D90 and k-x for instance.

Fast FPS and autofocus I can't see how it can help either.

The 7D can trigger remote flashes though, but so can a D90 for instance to, earlier Canons couldn't.

I doubt there was anything special with his lenses either.

I assume that maybe being able to handle multiple flashes at once for shooting indoor/rooms may be beneficial, what do I know. I also expect that maybe a faster glass would work to.

Over here in Sweden lots of cameras can be bought used or still boxed for a lower price than new, the 7D cost 14000 SEK, 16500 SEK with the kit-zoom. I saw one earlier this week for 11000 SEK with the kit-zoom and 59 exposures.

But yeah, can't see how that camera will help. The 550D would have the same sensor and it's not like the house will move or anything. Don't know about the flash though ... The D90 have lower resolution but better pixel performance and can be had still boxed for 4000 SEK over here.. And can handle the flashes as said.

It would be more understandable with a 5D, used I've seen it for as low as 6500 SEK or 5DmII because they are full-frame, got better sensor performance, higher resolution in the case of the 5DmII and be full-frame.

But isn't most advertisement images very low res and mostly shown on screens anyway?
06-03-2010, 12:12 PM   #6

the only advantage that i can see to a canon system is that you can get their (really expensive) TS lenses for architecture photography.

with regard to sensors, since your subjects don't move you can set up a tripod and shoot at the lowest ISO and any modern sensor will give good output.
with regard to lenses, you can get good lenses for any system (see the caveat about TS lenses above).
with regard to lighting, again, you can get flashes or studio strobes for any system although if you want wireless TTL radio triggers you'll have to go with canikon. otherwise you can do without TTL or without wireless on pentax and other systems.

so if you're good and you have equipment that will do the job it shouldn't matter what brand you go with. good luck.
06-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I don't understand terms and conditions "drifting." Is this an independent contractor arrangement, or employment? What is the reason for wanting Canon equipment? I can sort of see the point if somebody is doing PP and wants identical sensor characteristics to help automate the process a little, and that would dictate the same model camera and lenses. And these days you might be using the same camera for video so I guess some of the same considerations would apply to that. In other situations, I can see where having the same lens mount would facilitate sharing equipment. But if you're operating totally independently and are just producing the end product yourself, I'm not sure why it would matter.

Paul
06-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aliquis Quote
The 7D can trigger remote flashes though

I doubt there was anything special with his lenses either
Remote flashes is a big plus & also the electronic level display. The Canon 10-22mm is no slouch.

A 5D II would make more sense, but with a 16-35mm it's a pretty large sum of money just there.

Ever seen a journo shooting for the newspaper with a p&s just because photos look like crap on newspaper?

06-09-2010, 11:10 PM   #9
music_lover

QuoteOriginally posted by aliquis Quote
I don't see how the 7D would be beneficial at all when shooting houses.

Dxomark rating for the sensor is actually lower (per pixel level) for that one vs the D90 and k-x for instance.

Fast FPS and autofocus I can't see how it can help either.

The 7D can trigger remote flashes though, but so can a D90 for instance to, earlier Canons couldn't.

I doubt there was anything special with his lenses either.

I assume that maybe being able to handle multiple flashes at once for shooting indoor/rooms may be beneficial, what do I know. I also expect that maybe a faster glass would work to.

Over here in Sweden lots of cameras can be bought used or still boxed for a lower price than new, the 7D cost 14000 SEK, 16500 SEK with the kit-zoom. I saw one earlier this week for 11000 SEK with the kit-zoom and 59 exposures.

But yeah, can't see how that camera will help. The 550D would have the same sensor and it's not like the house will move or anything. Don't know about the flash though ... The D90 have lower resolution but better pixel performance and can be had still boxed for 4000 SEK over here.. And can handle the flashes as said.

It would be more understandable with a 5D, used I've seen it for as low as 6500 SEK or 5DmII because they are full-frame, got better sensor performance, higher resolution in the case of the 5DmII and be full-frame.

But isn't most advertisement images very low res and mostly shown on screens anyway?

Yes, the D90 has Wireless flash

Last edited by music_lover; 07-03-2010 at 02:20 PM.