Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Need advice for types of filter!!!

Hi Pentaxians,

Need your advice whether should I or not to buy a CPL and ND filter for landscape photography purposes. Failed to achieve the nice blue sky and calm water during my recent visit. Also I'm unsure about the brand and type of the CPL and ND to get if I really need it. I hope that you guys able to guide/help me with this matter.

Thank you.

06-09-2010, 06:37 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless there's a lot of contrast in your composition, a filter isn't going to be needed to pop the colors in the sky. As long as you're using a decent lens and not overexposing, you should be good to go with just a little bit of PP. If that doesn't give you the results you want, you could always use a filter to darken the sky- both the CPL and ND would do the trick.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-09-2010, 07:06 AM   #3

Personally, I have never felt the need to use a ND filter, but I use my CPL a LOT. You have to be careful using it on a wide angle lens though. Because of the variance in the angle it will often create banding in the blue skies. I love what it does to leaves and water though. Be aware that it will cause you to lose a stop in speed. As far as which one to buy, you will get a lot of recommendations. Mine is a mid-level Hoya and I have been more than happy with it. I definitely would NOT go with a $15 cheapie. Why pay for a great lens and then put a piece of crappy, uncoated glass in front of it??

Last edited by clmonk; 06-09-2010 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Additions
06-10-2010, 03:55 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Just a thought, if you must go the filter route, buy the absolute best you can afford, don't ruin a good lens with a cheap layer on the front end of it.

06-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Exsposure, time of day; is key!

I don't use filters for anything. First off I try to stay away from the harsh mid day sun. You want to get moving water' shoot at dusk or night. If you are shooting for a dramatic sky shoot in the eve. and exspose for the sky compensating up to -3 stops.
06-13-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aLep Quote
Hi Pentaxians,

Need your advice whether should I or not to buy a CPL and ND filter for landscape photography purposes. Failed to achieve the nice blue sky and calm water during my recent visit. Also I'm unsure about the brand and type of the CPL and ND to get if I really need it. I hope that you guys able to guide/help me with this matter.

Thank you.
Alep, the answer to your question depends on how much time you want to spend or trying to fix a image on your computer via photoshop or any other software.
Also given your failed to achieve comment yes you should use filters.
you will find that there will be many times that if you get the exposure correct for the fore ground the sky will be blown out and feature- less. and even worse l if that is the case there is nothing , or very little that post production work will achieve to fix this.
In fact to under expose is better as often you can pull up dark area with better results .
So filters? well Polaroid filters will help , they work best if you are 90 degrees to the sun, they darken the sky and take the glare off foliage.
go look on goggle lots of examples before you buy!!
but what I recommend every one is go buy a set of ND graduated filters you only need 2 on average for a digital, get a 0.9 and a 1.2
you don't even need the holders hold them in your hand. what they do is darken but not change the colours. let you camera expose including the filter and wahey, instant images with perfect exposure for the grass trees etc and beautiful blue sky and white clouds.
now you become a photographer not a point and shooter the name of the game if you have any pride is perfect exposure not correction via PS.!!!!
just my penny's worth
Alistair

Last edited by adwb; 06-13-2010 at 02:30 PM.
06-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aLep Quote
Hi Pentaxians,

Thank you.
USE the Search function. This topic comes up every other day and you will find a lot of useful answers, pros and cons, in some of the threads:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/89051-neutral-d...ilter-faq.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/97005-photograp...s-quality.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/101131-landscapes-polarizers.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/89963-polarizers-irs.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/94128-circular-...oated-not.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/95594-circular-polarizers.html

Ben

06-13-2010, 12:49 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I would recommend a "Graduated" ND over a solid ND, so you can darken the sky without underexposing the foreground.

I would only use a CPL to cut reflections, never to unnaturally darken blue sky.
06-13-2010, 02:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

aLep,
perhaps should also point out that if you take 3 images at differnt exposures and blend them using software then you get [or should get] one exposure that is correct all all over
Alistair
06-14-2010, 03:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
aLep,
perhaps should also point out that if you take 3 images at differnt exposures and blend them using software then you get [or should get] one exposure that is correct all all over
Alistair
The problem with exposure blending/HDR/DRI etc. is, that taking three or more images is a successive endevour and is not becoming too well for moving objects or scenery with moving objects. Also, I presonally prefer using a filter, because it is faster, as it saves a lot of time in post-processing.

I use HDR, when I need it, because the distribution of bright spots cannot be compensated by a filter (like interiors, where windows are somewhere within the image frame). But in many standard landscape shots, a ND Grad is my preferred choice, easy and fast to use, and no problems with matching or moving objects.

Ben
06-14-2010, 05:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
The problem with exposure blending/HDR/DRI etc. is, that taking three or more images is a successive endevour and is not becoming too well for moving objects or scenery with moving objects. Also, I presonally prefer using a filter, because it is faster, as it saves a lot of time in post-processing.

I use HDR, when I need it, because the distribution of bright spots cannot be compensated by a filter (like interiors, where windows are somewhere within the image frame). But in many standard landscape shots, a ND Grad is my preferred choice, easy and fast to use, and no problems with matching or moving objects.

Ben
All true Ben, my post re blending was an adjunct to my first post on filters, but as you say, and since the the OP asked about skys and landscape , blending mostly works fine, as long as the clouds are not scudding along in a gale:
Alistair
06-14-2010, 06:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
All true Ben, my post re blending was an adjunct to my first post on filters, but as you say, and since the the OP asked about skys and landscape , blending mostly works fine, as long as the clouds are not scudding along in a gale:
Alistair
Its not only moving clouds, its about tree branches, foliage, grass, birds, rippling water surfaces, water streams, walkers etc. There can be so much detail in a landscape, which is unnoticed during the picture taking (I at least am often surprised by some detail, which I only see in the final image and which I have completely overlooked on the spot). Many of the smaller moving detail can be retouched or even the software may be able to repair some things, but it adds up to considerable more pp-work.

And ofcourse you are right Alistair, that nevertheless HDRing can be of great value, where and when needed.

Ben