Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2007, 04:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Buying Pentax gear in Australia

Can anyone recommend a camera shop with a good selection of Pentax equipment, especially the AF540-FGZ flash in Brisbane or Sydney?

Thanks in advance..

08-08-2007, 07:26 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Van bar are good - VANBAR IMAGING

Though their list price is very high - $742.50.

Probably better to order from USA since our dollar is strong at the moment. B&H only take about 5 days for delivery.
08-10-2007, 02:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Buying from USA

Yes, I recommend trying B & H as well. Have purchased from them myself and found them very good to deal with, and the price is much more reasonable compared to here.
I haven't hadone problem with customs duty, I believe anything under $1000 is not charged duty to come into Aus. (But dont quote me on that)
08-10-2007, 05:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, BH is good - much better prices than Oz and just as quick with shipping.

08-10-2007, 06:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Ditto for buying from BH

Vanbar is too over priced for everything. I only get digital prints from them these days.
09-29-2007, 04:25 PM   #6

Buying a flash in Australia

I dont buy any of my Photography gear in Australia - its far too expensive buy it from B&H or Cameta Camera. and dont be put off buy all that rubbish about you wont have a warranty because its a USA purchase - both these companies will honor your warranty and i have eveb had a problem where Cameta Camera paid for the return postage.

I dont like giving business to the gready wholesalers and reatailers in Australia...bad bad bad people who abuse their customers.
09-29-2007, 11:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bonovox Quote
Van bar are good - VANBAR IMAGING

Though their list price is very high - $742.50.
Vanbar pricing is horendously high. The whole enterprise has a strong emphasis on Nikon products. The catalogue prices are good for weight loss programmes
09-29-2007, 11:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I just got my AF 540 from BHphoto. Delivered in 3 days, charging on my Amex card getting frequent flier points and the flash works as a treat! Very happy customer here.

In city, it is sold in JB Hi Five for 500 dollars or so

09-30-2007, 02:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Which reputable shop is selling pentax gear (at a good price) in Perth?
09-30-2007, 02:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hi,

Amongst others I have bought from adorama, cameta, henrys and prodigital2000 (who are carmans in canada) all through ebay. I have had 2 returns to cameta (of about 50 items) and found them very good. I have also found carmans / prodigital excellent including I had to get a copy of receipt from carmans for a purchase 11 months ago so I could send a lens to maxwells in sydney for 'international warranty' (tamron 1 year international / 6 year canadian). all i could tell them was the month I thought it was, my ebay username and the lens serial number and they sent me the receipt next day and also said that if there is a problem getting warranty here, they are more than happy for me to send it back to them.

Phil
09-30-2007, 03:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't think I've purchased any Pentax gear in Australia since the early '90s. Why is it so expensive here, especially with the Aussie dollar being so strong?

BH have given me superb service over the 'Net. Wish I could say the same for face-to-face with Melbourne camera store salesman who give me a "Why did you buy a Pentax instead of Canikon?" attitude.
10-06-2007, 02:09 PM   #12
Forum Member

I've bought all my Pentax (and Sigma) gear from Digital Camera Warehouse in Sydney. You can order on line and either pick up or have the goods delivered.

Prices are competative but not rock bottom.

Digital Camera Warehouse Australia - Discount Digital Cameras shipped Australia Wide - Home

Rusty