Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
US News: "20 Things You Should Never Buy Used"

I just stumbled on to this and had to laugh: # 9 is "Digital and video cameras" and #11 is "Camera lenses".

06-11-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
Inactive Account

While most of the stuff on this list is "no-brainer" territory...I'm surprised that I didn't see "bubble gum", "toilet paper", or "Q-Tips".

c[_]
06-11-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
While most of the stuff on this list is "no-brainer" territory...I'm surprised that I didn't see "bubble gum", "toilet paper", or "Q-Tips".

c[_]
06-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

c[_]
Hahaha

06-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found a used tire to be pretty handy after having a blow out on a stretch of toll road in rural Ohio. After killing an hour getting the space saving spare on and getting instructions from AAA on how to reach the nearest small town with a garage (after being juggled from region to region a few times) I pulled in to a small shop as they where closing. For $20 I had a used tire in the correct size installed on my rim and balanced in a couple of minutes, and it held together long enough to finish my vacation and get back home.
06-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

But I think that article has some sound wisdom in it. Like the fact that "digital and video cameras are likely to have been dropped and banged around." That's really useful information to me. I figured that it was possible, but I had no idea that it was likely. And thanks to that article, I now also know that a DSLR lens "directly affects the quality of your images." Thanks for sharing this great article! I'm going to go buy better lenses, and get a new camera, because mine has likely been dropped or banged around.
06-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
Zav
Pentaxian

c[_]
Condoms...

06-12-2010, 11:41 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The article states "...it's hard to tell if used tires were once part of a totaled wreck.
If they have been in an accident, they're bound to be unstable and unreliable."

I have been happy with nearly all of my used lens purchases for many years.
Maybe it's time to start considering used tires, too...

Chris
06-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The article states "...it's hard to tell if used tires were once part of a totaled wreck.
If they have been in an accident, they're bound to be unstable and unreliable."

I have been happy with nearly all of my used lens purchases for many years.
Maybe it's time to start considering used tires, too...

Chris
That is such BS. Who wrote this article? If a car was totaled or not, has pretty much nothing to do with the well being of the tires. Tires are a very simple thing. They round, and made of rubber, and have tread on them. If the rubber isn't dry-rotted, the tread is still there and the bead surface is still smooth, then they're usable. This article reaks of amateurism and lack of knowledge or research.
06-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
11. Camera lenses: An SLR camera lens is the most expensive part of a camera. It also directly affects the quality of your images. Any damage to the lens, however slight, will show up in your photos.
HOLD THE PRESSES! SHUT DOWN THE MARKET PLACE! NO ONE TRUST ANYONE WITH USED LENSES!

Okay, there we go.
06-12-2010, 02:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kalison Quote
HOLD THE PRESSES! SHUT DOWN THE MARKET PLACE! NO ONE TRUST ANYONE WITH USED LENSES!

Okay, there we go.
I know. I don't know what my clients will do if they find out that some of my lenses are used. I'll probably start losing business.

Seriously, there's no difference between me buying a new lens and using it for a year, and then using it for another year, or someone else buying a new lens and using it for a year, and then me buying i and using it for a year. Except they'll probably treat it better in the first year than I would have.
06-12-2010, 03:37 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I would question the articile on several items. Much of this will depend on price paid for the items of course. I have bought many things he lists at garage sales. Our kids never had "new" furniture. The crib was passed around for a couple of generations. So have the car seats. I have bought tires at the junkyard. $20 vs $90. No, they won't last as long but better than driving on baldies when times are rough. As I wander around the house, almost everything is second hand. When I get rid of all my used junk, somebody like the guy who wrote this will be there to buy it because it will no longer be used but "antiques" and "collectibles".
06-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Marketers want us to buy new stuff. Imagine that! All old stuff is useless and/or dangerous. Clothes can't be laundered adequately -- sh!t-can them! That hat is beyond microwaving -- throw it out! That detergent/deodorant/depilatory you use isn't strong enough -- buy the new improved version! Your car is 18 months old -- time for a trade-in!! This kind of crap (the article) is just feedstock for anti-capitalist rantings and critiques.

How about, 10 THINGS YOU NEVER WANT TO BUY NEW ??

#1: An automobile, which depreciates by 50% as soon as you buy it.
#2: Diamonds, which are NEVER worth near what you've paid.
#3: Literary fiction, because it'll be in a thrift shop in 3 months.
#4: Denim jeans, because worn ones are so much more comfortable.
#5: Fashion and tech publications -- they're much funnier a year later.
#6: Antiques.
#7: Mandolins.
#8: Rattlesnakes.
#9: Bleeding-edge technology.
#10: Revealed spiritual truths.
06-12-2010, 09:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

It's not surprising that a shopping portal would recommend against buying used items.
06-12-2010, 11:36 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
That is such BS. Who wrote this article? If a car was totaled or not, has pretty much nothing to do with the well being of the tires. Tires are a very simple thing. They round, and made of rubber, and have tread on them. If the rubber isn't dry-rotted, the tread is still there and the bead surface is still smooth, then they're usable. This article reaks of amateurism and lack of knowledge or research.
Exactly! I bet the person who wrote that article doesn't even own a car.

If there's no dry-rot, it holds air, and balances well, then it's still a good tire. I've bought used tires quite a few times over the years and never had one single problem with any of them.

And one more thing...

14. Swimsuits and undergarments: This is probably a no-brainer, but it needs to be said: Do not, do not, do not buy used swimsuits or undergarments. They're worn too close to the body -- someone else's body -- to consider buying used.

Who buys used underwear?