Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some great Pentax shots here

I saw this site listed in another forum and thought many would find it of interest. The Premier collection has some stunning shots and nice to see some Pentax Forum members have stuff posted there. From DPRevieww

PENTAX Photo Gallery

08-08-2007, 02:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice find! It's really got me thinking. I was thinking about picking up an FA J 75-300, almost as a "throw away when I'm ready to get serious" lens. The example photos make me wonder if I'd ever throw it away (assuming I ever achieved the type of skill necessary to produce those results).
08-08-2007, 03:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
I think there was a quote from some photog once that said something like "A good photographer can take great pictures with and average lens/camera and an average photographer takes average pictures with great cameras/lens" or something along those lines.

If you look at the pictures posted by Julie Smith in the Premier collection, they are almost all taken with the 18-55 or 50-200 'kit' lenses. The shot "Enlightened" by her (DA 50-200) is stunning.

Of course the FA* shots posted there can be spotted right away without looking at the shooting data. Something about that glass in good hands....

So I guess the point is learn the camera and the lens(es) you have, it sure was an eye opener for me as well.
08-08-2007, 06:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice to see that they finally have it out of the "beta" stage. Nothing magic about getting into the gallery. Simply apply and start submitting your best shots. The selection criteria has changed a bit since I got mine in but it's still pretty stiff. Only condition is that the photo has to have been taken using a Pentax camera and lens. I just wish they would increase the photo size. Some of them are really too small to fully appreciate.

08-08-2007, 07:01 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Nice to see that they finally have it out of the "beta" stage. Nothing magic about getting into the gallery. Simply apply and start submitting your best shots. The selection criteria has changed a bit since I got mine in but it's still pretty stiff. Only condition is that the photo has to have been taken using a Pentax camera and lens. I just wish they would increase the photo size. Some of them are really too small to fully appreciate.
It is great that it is out of 'beta'...thanks for sharing that, Peter.

They used to have a "lens unkown" option which folks could use to circumvent the Pentax lens requirement.

I would second MRRiley on the simplicity of getting started.
08-08-2007, 07:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Original Poster
Hey Mike, Great shots posted, Particularly Lake flight and Chapel 1. Erl, Late afternoon is perfect and I'd like to see the larger version of C&O Canal. Looks good there but I bet the original is excellent. Nice mood captured there (sometimes film is pretty hard to beat).

I agree the shots should be presented in a larger veiwing size
08-09-2007, 04:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the day it was announced...

The server couldn't handle all of the requests for a while...

08-09-2007, 05:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
The server couldn't handle all of the requests for a while...
Haven't been checking news lately. The site is finally launched on line. Quite impressive in deed to see these many photographs in a single website.