Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2010, 08:48 AM   #1

Father's Day photo

I figure since I finally have a good camera, I would put it to good use. I am going to take my two boys out tomorrow and try to get a good shot of them together to give my husband for Father's Day. I am wondering if you guys could give me some pointers since I'm new at this.

Here's the details...two boys, 14 yr old 6'3", 12 yr old 4'10, going to be mostly cloudy out. I can take them to beach, park by the lake, pier, playground, etc. I have the Pentax K-x with only the kit lens at this time.

Looking for advice on the best way to pose them with the big height difference, location, and settings. I haven't really done much with changing aperature or shutter speed yet.

I appreciate any help, thanks!

06-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have the taller one sit down, maybe? I think that would make for the most natural appearance.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take them to a nice place, then tell them to ignore you-get a nice candid shot of the two of your boys getting along My favorite pictures of my boys are when they're doing something (anything) fun together.
06-14-2010, 12:48 PM   #4

Original Poster
A picture of them getting along would be a rare catch indeed!

06-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
graphicgr8s

How about an "old" shot. Get them in some "Huck Finn" type clothes on the pier with a cane pole Fishing. Then age the shot. Well. I know I'd like it if my wife gave it to me. But alas G4 is too young to be on a pier by himself.
06-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #6

Original Poster
Took 80 photos today. You would think with a 12 and 14 year old, they could just smile, and not make stupid faces! I don't have a single one that is perfect combination of them and background. Ugh. Of course they have no desire to go take 80 more!
06-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #7

Original Poster
Oh and there is no way I would get them out on the pier in Huck Finn type clothes! Thanks for the idea though!

06-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The short one can stand or sit on some playground equipment or railing to bring him nearer the other in height. You do not need to include much equipment in the shot.
06-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #9

Original Poster
Here are some samples of what I got. In the first, is there a way to get the shadow off older sons right side of face? I like the one on the rocks, but would have to reshoot when sun isn't in their faces and move them up higher to cut out garbage on ground. What do you think?

06-15-2010, 06:21 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Out of the three, I like the last one the best. I'd be tempted to crop it tighter on them so they more the focus of attention.
06-15-2010, 06:30 PM   #11

Original Poster
I agree. Unfortunately the closer I crop, the more you can see them squinting. I think I will bribe them into going back to retake!
06-15-2010, 09:03 PM   #12
Pentaxian

An overcast day will cause the kids to squint less and have softer shadows.
06-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Here’s a few ideas

1) Looking at your pictures I think you need some inspiration for good composition. I'd suggest going to Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected and search on “child portrait” and spend half an hour looking through the images there. That will give you some composition ideas.

2) You need to be much more conscious of the light you are shooting in. You are photographing at a time of day when there is very harsh light, and you’ve put your kids in full sun, and had them face into the sun. That’s the worst case scenario possible for poor lighting. If you can’t take photos in the hour before sunset, then look for open shade to put your kids in. If you can’t do either of those things at least face them away from the sun.

3) Get closer. A lot closer.
06-16-2010, 04:30 AM   #14
Pentaxian

The height discrepancy between my boys isn't quite as great, but I took a lot of pictures where my older son (who, luckily, is freakishly flexible) stood in what he called a "horse stance" (a martial arts term for having the legs very wide) and I shot them from the waist up. I have extremely short daughters who were 11 years his junior and this was what worked.

Something you might try to get them in the mood is to let them do a few silly things first, such as this: no end to the silliness on Flickr - Photo Sharing!. I also often take a "silly face" picture or two--especially when I'm working with all four of mine--before I try to take the real pictures. It helps relieve the weirdness of being in front of the camera.

Definitely look for either overcast skies or open shade (side of a building, for example), where they are shaded by still get light in their eyes. Think of having them stand inside the door of a barn or garage so they face toward the light, but don't have to squint to understand what I mean by "open shade."

If it's a little too shady or cloudy, you can try using your pop-up flash set to -2 for just a touch of light in their faces w/o that flashy look.

It took a while, but my boys did catch on to the fact that if they just cooperated, the photoshoot ended much sooner.
06-16-2010, 08:00 AM   #15

Original Poster
Thank you all! That is the kind of advice I was looking for. I am extremely new at this and need all the help I can get. I will check out that website. I appreciate you all taking the time to help me. Hopefully I wlll get this right!