Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2010, 02:03 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Utilizing a gray card for WB

Camera: Pentax K-x. I am going to try my hand at using an 18% gray card to fine tune the WB on some of my shots. However, never having gone this route before, I have a question. When using the card and saving the setting as a custom WB, does this setting remain available for future immediate shots as well? Or do I have to keep taking another gray card settng for subsequent shots? The reason I ask is that I was reading somewhere that customized WB settings will not hold after one picture when shooting in Tv, Av, or Manual mode. Wasn't sure if this statement applied to the K-x camera as well.

06-15-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gary G Quote
Camera: Pentax K-x. I am going to try my hand at using an 18% gray card to fine tune the WB on some of my shots. However, never having gone this route before, I have a question. When using the card and saving the setting as a custom WB, does this setting remain available for future immediate shots as well? Or do I have to keep taking another gray card settng for subsequent shots? The reason I ask is that I was reading somewhere that customized WB settings will not hold after one picture when shooting in Tv, Av, or Manual mode. Wasn't sure if this statement applied to the K-x camera as well.
I think you read wrong info. It makes no sense to have to keep taking WB shots.

However, I shoot RAW and therefore do not worry about WB or most other settings like contrast and sharpness.
06-15-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

As long as the camera stays on, it remains in that fine tune WB, but when the camera been turned off, when back on, it will go to Auto WB, no matter what capture mode it's in .
06-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Does the K-x really lack an option to remember WB when powered off?

06-15-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Marc, I noticed that when I had a chance using my friend's K-x few weeks ago . I don't know there's an option to remember WB in the Menu or not . My bad that I jump into conclusion without furthur research. Thanks for reminding me .
06-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Not IME. In fact, being fairly (< 2 months) new to shooting entirely in manual, I still sometimes forget to check it before the odd impromptu photo op, and when I check the LCD to admire my photo that somehow has morphed into something akin to Blue Man Group (though there was neither blue nor man in my viewfinder) it is always on the last WB setting used. However, it is possible (read: easy) to accidentally menu over to it and change the WB, especially if you are still new to working with the kx.

It may be that there is a setting that resets the kx WB to auto upon powering on, but I do not yet know my camera or manual to that degree.