Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2010, 05:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photo Op: acrobatic planes in NYC, 6/16/2010

NEW YORK (AP) - Police say single prop planes will be practicing aerobatic maneuvers over New York City in preparation for this weekend's Red Bull Air Race.

About 30 planes will randomly depart Linden Airfield in New Jersey between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. Wednesday and head toward the Verrazano Bridge. They will then proceed up the Hudson River and perform aerobatic maneuvers south of the Statue of Liberty.

Later, several planes will fly up and down the Hudson River for a photo session. Officials say the planes will be emitting smoke, which they say is normal for aerobatic aircraft.

Last April, a little-warned Air Force One photo-op flyover past the Statue of Liberty sent panicked workers rushing into the streets amid flashbacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

06-16-2010, 06:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the heads up! Too bad I'll be in class most of the day today. I'd love to get in on this opportunity....
06-16-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
Thanks for the heads up! Too bad I'll be in class most of the day today. I'd love to get in on this opportunity....
Looks like the actual event will be this weekend - maybe worth a trip. Best photos may be from the Jersey side, with the NYC skyline in the background...

http://www.redbull.com/cs/Satellite/en_INT/Event/Red-Bull-Air-Race---New-York-021242831781312
06-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Now I just wish I had a lens longer than 105mm!