Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been happy with my pentax. I don't hear my Canon friends go on about their cameras like that.

06-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JACOBY Quote
Good post kalison. I felt the same thats why I went from a nikon d3000 to a like new K100d that old glass and shooting manual is the tops
Thanks for reading! Yeah, the old glass is so under appreciated in the other camps, of course its also not really something they can do like we can. It's almost a "why not" feeling here in Pentax land... why not try it and see what its all about.

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Enjoyed reading your post. I want to mention. not because you came from Nikon or Canon, but the part about your love for Pentax, as all of us can relate to that. I would enjoy a similar post from a life-long Pentax user equally, it is the joy for photography that thrilled me.

At this point, for me, the K-7 is the significant factor that contributes to my enjoyment of photgraphy. Lenses are amazing and I covet them too.....Yeah! the FA limiteds, the DA limiteds and the FA*'s are fantastic lenses, but if not for the camera interface I probably wouldn't enjoy photgraphy as much as I do with the K-7. K-7 is an extension of me which helps me fully exploit the lenses.

My first manual focus Pentax lens in in the mail, the A 50/1.7 and I should receive it today . Just before reading your post I had sent a pm to a member who had posted some film shots that floored me with it's unique flavor. So, I am going to dust off my brother's (may neeed a service) Pentax Super program and try some film as well.

I have a feeling the A 50/1.7 is not going to be my last Pentax MF lens.........
Glad you enjoyed the read! I am in the same boat... the glass and camera interface just "work" for me. I don't work to get things done.

The A 50 will most likely just be the beginning to a new obsession! hah!

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
That's a nice series! Pretty nice results.
Hey thanks! I still have PLENTY of room to improve. However, it was a blast to do this with a manual lens! It just FELT so rewarding to do it manual. I was looking over at the Canon and Nikon shooters.. just plinking away at the event.... it looked so boring. Meanwhile I was highly engaged in whats going on, making changes to the camera, looking for better spots to shoot from. Which probably says more about the fact I had a fixed focal length... I really wanted to get other shots. Those guys just sat in one place for most of the event.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
you caught some impressive moments from the suicide seats
Hah! Thanks! As I said before they aren't the greatest, but what pleased me so much was the fact that I never had to chimp through my shots to check settings... my gut told me what settings to use when I was shooting. Loved every minute of it, and I wasn't so distracted trying to shoot the event to enjoy it also.

I almost got nailed with some skates and <ahem> lace from the ladies more than a few times... it was so worth it though. It was an absolute blast!

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
I've been happy with my pentax. I don't hear my Canon friends go on about their cameras like that.
Nope, and to be honest, I never was like that when I was in the Canon camp either. Canon has great equipment and all.. but I felt so bored there after a few years. I am so happy to have moved over.
06-30-2010, 11:43 PM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kalison Quote
Sure! They aren't the best in the world... but it was a blast to get them and I am pleased with the results being my first attempt.

Roller Derby 2010 pictures by JKaliJ - Photobucket
Um....you shot those with a manual focus lens? I say you totally kicked ass. Very nice work. I absolutely love my M50 1.7. I use it more than all my other lenses combined. I've done some indoor action events with much less success than what you've shown here. Nice job, and welcome to the club
07-01-2010, 04:21 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still use Nikon and canon top level DSLR cameras, I use all top of the line glass.I rarely use these cameras in manual in the same way I use my pentax cameras. Pentax have the almighty green button, without it I doubt pentax cameras would be as good at manual exposure as they are. My only complaint is that you cannot hold it down and meter continuously.

I have often been annoyed at how when in the studio I have to turn the rear wheel on my 1DSMKIII to change the aperture Vs turning the aperture ring on a lens - which as a Leica photographer is much more natural and intuitive to me.If you are a user of M or FA lenses you have this option of using the aperture ring, which I find keeps my focus on the subject and not on the camera,I wish pentax kept that faculty on their DA and DA* lenses.

Also don't forget the TAv exposure mode, which I find it absolutely incredible that no other camera company has thought of it first. With my sports photography, I find TAv mode to be essential when speed and accuracy is needed to get the shot.

you like the M 50mm f/1.7 'eh?...you should try the pentax 50mm f/1.2 - YOU WILL LOVE IT!

07-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Since I started seriously getting into photography I've had experience mostly of 3 Fuji digital cameras and 2 Pentax SLR's. I have shot a bit with a Canon AE-1 as well as my SPI/SPII and a K1000 at one point that belonged to a friend. Also with a K10 and a K100, and some sort of professional Nikon once for a brief second. (Sorry, can't remember which at this point.) A good buddy has a Canon DSLR, so I've looked at that close up too. I've also examined the demos in the area, all the major brands pretty much, except Pentax. You can't find a Pentax DSLR here if you try.

By far I prefer the Pentax brand to any other. My SPII is my favorite camera bar none and when I finally do get a DSLR I'm definitely going Pentax even if it means I have to take a trip to go buy one.

I'm a total Pentax snob and proud of it.

I might upgrade from one camera to another, but I really doubt that I'd ever go with another brand by preference. I seriously covet the K-7, but will probably settle for a K-x eventually, at least for starters.

I do absolutely get the Pentax love thing. There is something about using a Pentax that is totally unlike using any other camera to me. It has something to do with hand feel, I think. Some cameras I pick them up and no matter how good they are supposed to be they just don't feel right in my hands. I've never felt that with any Pentax analog or digital. It's like they fit just perfectly. On top of which I know they're excellent cameras and there's the old glass factor.

People always ask me why I'm so rabid about my Pentax cameras.

I always say "Pentax? What's not to like?"

One of these days I think I'm just going to put that on a T-shirt...

07-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zombieCat Quote
Um....you shot those with a manual focus lens? I say you totally kicked ass. Very nice work. I absolutely love my M50 1.7. I use it more than all my other lenses combined. I've done some indoor action events with much less success than what you've shown here. Nice job, and welcome to the club
Thank you! I really appreciate the kind words! Yeah, once I got used to taking manual with the 50, it was all over. I just love to do manual now. Its just a pleasure to put a little more effort into the work and see the results! Thanks for the welcome!

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I still use Nikon and canon top level DSLR cameras, I use all top of the line glass.I rarely use these cameras in manual in the same way I use my pentax cameras. Pentax have the almighty green button, without it I doubt pentax cameras would be as good at manual exposure as they are. My only complaint is that you cannot hold it down and meter continuously.

I have often been annoyed at how when in the studio I have to turn the rear wheel on my 1DSMKIII to change the aperture Vs turning the aperture ring on a lens - which as a Leica photographer is much more natural and intuitive to me.If you are a user of M or FA lenses you have this option of using the aperture ring, which I find keeps my focus on the subject and not on the camera,I wish pentax kept that faculty on their DA and DA* lenses.

Also don't forget the TAv exposure mode, which I find it absolutely incredible that no other camera company has thought of it first. With my sports photography, I find TAv mode to be essential when speed and accuracy is needed to get the shot.

you like the M 50mm f/1.7 'eh?...you should try the pentax 50mm f/1.2 - YOU WILL LOVE IT!
Haha, don't get me started on the 1.2! I will check out TAv more! Thanks again!

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote

I'm a total Pentax snob and proud of it.

I do absolutely get the Pentax love thing. There is something about using a Pentax that is totally unlike using any other camera to me. It has something to do with hand feel, I think. Some cameras I pick them up and no matter how good they are supposed to be they just don't feel right in my hands. I've never felt that with any Pentax analog or digital. It's like they fit just perfectly. On top of which I know they're excellent cameras and there's the old glass factor.

People always ask me why I'm so rabid about my Pentax cameras.

I always say "Pentax? What's not to like?"

One of these days I think I'm just going to put that on a T-shirt...

Absolutely! I can't put my finger on it. But its definitely a love affair for me. I love photography all over again. I can't even leave the house without my camera. I rarely do anything that it doesn't come along. Just today I was going outside just to get in the sun a bit... then I started taking pictures of the construction across our drive. I can't get enough of this! Its weird too, because I never found myself doing this with my other gear before Pentax.
07-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
Not to tread on the love affair here, but speaking for myself I spend more time worrying about the end results than raving about the gear that helped create it.

07-13-2010, 12:43 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Not to tread on the love affair here, but speaking for myself I spend more time worrying about the end results than raving about the gear that helped create it.
You're not really treading on it.

I think we all obsess over the results, obviously we all are very concerned about the end results. I just love using the tools now, as much as going over all my results. Which is a rare thing, you're allowed to love the tools you use that allow you to enjoy your creations.