Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
Inactive Account

PPG, interesting statistic.

Having seen a number of photographers proudly displaying the photos they had accepted into PPG, I wondered how many photographers had actually had photos accepted to the gallery.

The answer, as of this moment is........... 2,411.

while not everyone who shoots Pentax enters photos into, or is even interested, the Pentax Gallery, I'd say that number shows just how difficult it is to get even one photo into the gallery.

YMMV

Oscar.

06-17-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PPG in itself is a mediocre indication at best of the standard of images Pentax photographers out there have captured. It is, however, probably the best thing we've got for Pentax given the exclusivity of the database.

Nevertheless, the owners/judges are clearly using their own judgement systems to accept or reject images, at the expense of culling out some very good entries whilst accepting some that have me thinking what they were on when they accepted them.
06-17-2010, 11:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote

Nevertheless, the owners/judges are clearly using their own judgement systems to accept or reject images, at the expense of culling out some very good entries whilst accepting some that have me thinking what they were on when they accepted them.

+1 Ash....
--------------------
some people here have over a hundred accepted
Personally I have 27 thus far, with a couple in the que.
06-17-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Oscar1 Quote
Having seen a number of photographers proudly displaying the photos they had accepted into PPG, I wondered how many photographers had actually had photos accepted to the gallery.

The answer, as of this moment is........... 2,411.

while not everyone who shoots Pentax enters photos into, or is even interested, the Pentax Gallery, I'd say that number shows just how difficult it is to get even one photo into the gallery.

YMMV

Oscar.
I think the opposite is true. If 2,411 people can get photos in then it's not particularly exclusive - how many other galleries are out there that would have that many artists on "the books"? But without knowing how many are trying to get in and not succeeding it's hard to use the number of photographers in the gallery as any sort of indicator.

The PPG acceptances and rejects thread are testament to that.

06-18-2010, 04:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

At least, in general, it has become harder to get things in. During the first few months, lots of borderline or even substandard images got in. I think they just wanted to have something, anything in the gallery at that point. Now it is much harder and if we, the voting members, only submit and vote yes for the most outstanding shots it could go a long way toward making it better.

I would not personally be opposed if they decided to cull many of the shots, especially those accepted during the early days. I would ask for them to form a qualified board of evaluators to do this though as right now, for all we know it could be the marketing department's secretaries selecting images right now.

I would also like to suggest that they limit each member to, for instance, 10 photographs. Then if someone wanted to add something new, then they would need to delete an older image when/if the new one was approved. This would go a long long way toward insuring that only the best of the best of each photographer's images were part of the gallery.

Mike
06-18-2010, 04:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

PPG in itself is a mediocre indication at best of the standard of images Pentax photographers out there have captured. It is, however, probably the best thing we've got for Pentax given the exclusivity of the database.

Ash, Whose judgement other than yours do you come up with in concluding good entries are denied and where as some mediocre ones are getting in?

By definition, if you make a judgement on a photo, it is your own judgement system. PPG at least pools together the judgement systems of many voters and comes to a general consensus, other than the opinion of just one.

However, I agree this means the images have to appeal to the general palatte, most award winning images from reknowned artists wouldn't make it in. So, many great images (to me) do not get in and medicore ones do.

@ MRRiley : May be it was easy at the very beginning, but 1.5-2 years ago it was almost impossible to get in, IMO now the standards have come down significantly,and to me it almost means nothing to say an entry got into PPG...just my opinion of course.

I sincerely hope they make it much harder for images to get accepted, to make PPG mean something again.
06-20-2010, 05:11 AM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Ash, Whose judgement other than yours do you come up with in concluding good entries are denied and where as some mediocre ones are getting in?

By definition, if you make a judgement on a photo, it is your own judgement system. PPG at least pools together the judgement systems of many voters and comes to a general consensus, other than the opinion of just one.

However, I agree this means the images have to appeal to the general palatte, most award winning images from reknowned artists wouldn't make it in. So, many great images (to me) do not get in and medicore ones do.
Sure, Sanjeevan, of course we're all using our own judgements as the basis of what's good work and what isn't. Nevertheless, it can hardly be disputed that good work is, on the whole, widely accepted as such, and not so good work is, generally, widely accepted as such as well.

Given that, even still there are images I see get in PPG that fail in some of the fundamentals of what makes good photos, whereas images such as these in the PPG rejects pile from this forum weren't accepted:

khardur:

paulsoucy:

devisor:

OrenMc:

enoeske:

stevebrot:

among many others. Well, I suppose if I should start my own photo gallery it too would be scrutinised the same way...

06-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Ash...thanks for putting one of mine in the "shoulda" category!

Steve
06-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #9
emr

I wonder if the first and third one denied access because of the copyright texts? Or were they added only for this forum?
06-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike L Quote
I think the opposite is true. If 2,411 people can get photos in then it's not particularly exclusive - how many other galleries are out there that would have that many artists on "the books"? But without knowing how many are trying to get in and not succeeding it's hard to use the number of photographers in the gallery as any sort of indicator.

The PPG acceptances and rejects thread are testament to that.
Yes, without knowing how many are submitting, you would probably be correct.

given the fact that this forum alone has 24,000 members and, I doubt, it's a fair representation of the number of people who shoot Pentax and/or the number who possibly submit.

Every since the gallery came into being, I've seen rejections outnumber the "I got on in" group by quite a margin.

However, as I said. "YMMV"