Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #1

Grey grad depolarizing light ? interfering with CPL ?

Hi all

I've just noticed some strange interference when staking a grad filter and a circular polarizer, and wonder if this is correct, known, and might degrade a picture (I haven't noticed this in pictures yet)

First, I noticed looking through a CPL that I could darken (nearly completely) my computer screen, and so I assume that flat lcd screens produce polarized light.
Second, staking the CPL with a Kood grad (gg2h), the screen appears quite brightly in the transition area of the grad. Turning the CPL brightens the dark areas, but doesn't darken the bright ones.

My amateur-scientific conclusion is that the transition zone of the grad de-polarizes light. Is this a known fact ?

I've read that staking filters should be avoided without anything but the best quality stuff, but still... I don't feel ready to invest in Lee filters. Btw could anyone with Lee grads (or other good brand) verify this too ?

thanks

06-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #2

Original Poster
I did some further testing. Pictured my grads against the computer screen with my polarizer on different positions. The result is quite scrary to say the least !
Perhaps I shouldn't have bought my grads on eBay (even though the box says the larger one is Kood) ?

Minimum polarization

Maximum polarization

Last edited by JeanChris; 06-19-2010 at 09:31 AM. Reason: spelling
06-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't know about the quality, but you are putting 3 pieces of glass in front of your lens.
06-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #4

Original Poster
Just two at a time (CPL + 1 grad). The smaller grad is from before I upgraded to Cokin P system. I think the benefits in dynamic range outweight the loss in IQ.

note : perhaps I should have posted on "pentax-camera-field-accessories" thread, sorry about that.

06-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It's because of organic glass (plexiglass). You can see tensions in it, when placed between two polarizers. If you bend the ND Grad slightly the bent place would change brightness.
Thats a property of polarized light in plastic, they show such demo in physics class.

A most likely remedy would be mineral glass based ND grad. I doubt you can make plexiglass with variable density component without creating some tension inside it.

Actually it is not depolarizing light. The plastic just rotates polarization plane of light passing trough it. Rotation angle depends on tension. So it's not like you could not polarize some parts of frame at all, they will be simply polarized at different angle.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-LX1  Photo 

Last edited by ytterbium; 06-19-2010 at 12:06 PM.
06-22-2010, 08:27 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess it would be a little annoying (or maybe impossible) in practice, but if you moved the two around, you probably wouldn't have a problem... (so subject-polariser-grad-camera)