Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #31
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In addition, autism and what used to be called mental retardation isn't even a mental condition as you categorized it.

It's physiological.

06-23-2010, 03:09 PM   #32
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Already being done in my neck of the woods...unfortunately. Change the terms, but the stigma still remains.

Steve
'The Short Bus' has been around for a while.
06-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #33
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
'The Short Bus' has been around for a while.
But that's not accurate in half the country, since my son rode the special bus, but it was always full size!!!

It has to be full size so the retards would inflict less damage to their heads when they hurled themselves full force into the walls.

That's a joke for the slaves to political correctness, okay? Or those that believe that the burdens they carry because of their child's disability is a reason or moral imperative to change the tone of discussions, and to change the language and sense of humor that defines America.

Because believe me, if someone's kid was "normal," they wouldn't give a crap.

Although I have a disabled kid, I don't give a crap about this semantics stuff, because I don't look at this use of language as a personal attack against my son, nor even indicating a lack of compassion towards developmentally disabled kids.

It's just a retarded word, you know?

(Blue, this post was in no way directed towards you. I just quoted your post because of your classic Short Bus reference.)

Last edited by Ira; 06-23-2010 at 05:18 PM.
06-24-2010, 02:55 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
He got fairly mad and I thought a fight might have been in store, especially when I told him I was an atheist and that there will be no "final judgment"
Haha, now that's simply ASKING for it! You're lucky he didn't deliver a "final judgment" right to your face.

06-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
. . .

(Blue, this post was in no way directed towards you. I just quoted your post because of your classic Short Bus reference.)
I didn't assume it was. My comment was simply a statement of fact. I have a 20.5 year old autistic boy and my wife actually drove a special bus for a while back in the 90s. My boy graduated h.s. and has completed 3 years of college and has worked a part time job consistently for 2.5 years and pays the insurance on his vehicle. He's a good kid and didn't get to this point by standing on the side lines wringing hands.
06-25-2010, 07:26 PM   #36
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I guess I'm lucky I'm 6'6" and close to 200lbs. He was pretty little so if anyone was gonna deliver some final judgment, it would have been me

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Haha, now that's simply ASKING for it! You're lucky he didn't deliver a "final judgment" right to your face.