Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DANG! lost my 77 LTD, but good chance I'll get it back.

While I changed my lens at a local park, I must have left the 77 LTD on the ground (what an idiot), then after about an hour I realized I am mssing it. Ran back to the spot where I left it and saw another photographer there. Asked him whether he saw a lens or of anyone who did. He asked me what brand it was and I said Pentax, and he said the security has it and was asking around on whose lens it was. But, by then it was too late and the security had left.

Hopefully no one owned upto the lens (why would security even say it's a Pentax ????shouldn't they ask the person who claims to have lost the lens on it's identity), I have to wait till tomorrow and I am hoping they still have it.

This sucks! but at least the there is a good chance I will get it back. This is a good enough reason for me to switch from primes to zooms

06-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Gulp! I sure hope you recover it!
06-20-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
Nubi

Oh god. Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you will get it back though. Times like this it helps that Pentax is not all that popular.
06-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
While I changed my lens at a local park, I must have left the 77 LTD on the ground (what an idiot), then after about an hour I realized I am mssing it. Ran back to the spot where I left it and saw another photographer there. Asked him whether he saw a lens or of anyone who did. He asked me what brand it was and I said Pentax, and he said the security has it and was asking around on whose lens it was. But, by then it was too late and the security had left.

Hopefully no one owned upto the lens (why would security even say it's a Pentax ????shouldn't they ask the person who claims to have lost the lens on it's identity), I have to wait till tomorrow and I am hoping they still have it.

This sucks! but at least the there is a good chance I will get it back. This is a good enough reason for me to switch from primes to zooms
Really sorry to hear about your situation. Hopefully it will work out and you'll get her back.

On that trip to Vegas last week, it was the first time I went out with only primes and the first time I had to actively switch lenses while out and about. I was constantly worried that I was a going to accidentally leave a limited behind and I was found myself reaching into my bag to do a quick "head-count" every now and then.

06-20-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
Inactive Account

You have the serial number recorded somewhere, Right?

06-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager

All the best in recovering that fine piece of glassware Sanji.
06-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all.......I feel amazingly lucky that security found it and I get to know that they did....I don't have the serial number, but I save the boxes, so it should be on it.

I'll update you'all tomorrow.
06-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Go early (I'm sure you will). I'm cynical but I'd be worried about that guy who now knows its a Pentax lens claiming it's his!

06-20-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
Inactive Account

how could you forget about a lens like that
pockets my friend ,pockets.
06-20-2010, 09:15 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Thank you all.......I feel amazingly lucky that security found it and I get to know that they did....I don't have the serial number, but I save the boxes, so it should be on it.

Really wish you the best of luck, because I can't bear to hear of someone losing such a lens...
06-20-2010, 09:20 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Go early (I'm sure you will). I'm cynical but I'd be worried about that guy who now knows its a Pentax lens claiming it's his!
There are reasons I have photos of ALL my lenses taken at multiple angles showing the serial numbers stored on my flickr account. Proof of ownership being one of them.

Good luck.
06-21-2010, 05:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Still haven't found it.

Went to the park even before it opened. They looked for it at the lost and found, and could not find it.

But, a few things doesn't make sense.

If the guy who told me of the lens being with the security took it, why would he even say that, wouldn't he claim he doesn't know anything about it. Also, he even reassured me not to worry and that I would get my lens back as the security has it (he seemed genuinly pleased to tell me that).

When I went back to him after I could not find anyone, he even mentioned the ranger car that is at times parked in the parking lot as someone I could try to find. He seemd genuinly helpful. If he took it, why would he give me advice on finding a ranger right then and there?

Other issues: He said 'security' but the park only has rangers. But, the rangers never go to the section where I left the lens, only park employees do. But, all the Park employess had left at 5 pm, I went to the park after 6, so it couldn't be the employees.

Also, if someone found it and gave it to the ranger at the park, why would he hike to the spot where I lost it (10 min. hike) and look for the owner?, wouldn't he just leave it in the lost and found. He is the one who locks the doors at the end of the day and has the keys for the complex.

Anyhow, I have the Ranger chief's phone number, and I am currently trying to get hold of him. Also, the park managment has my phone number.

The whole scenario is rather puzlling (The park guy thinks the person who I spoke to may have my lens - but that just doesn't make sense to me).

Anyhow, I still have hope that I will find the lens, as I read that person to be honest and genuine.
06-21-2010, 06:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

That's a situation I'd hate to be in.

I hope you get your lens back.
06-21-2010, 06:56 AM   #14
Site Supporter

With my luck, some kid would have it batting it around like a hockey puck.
06-21-2010, 09:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My baby is back with me :D

I had left a message with the ranger chief, and I got a call from a ranger detective saying they had the lens. I went to their office and collected it. I am very lucky.

I am not attached to material things, but lenses are different. I think of even the lenses I had sold as 'my lens', even if it was bought used. It is weird, but I do.

Well! the only lens I didn't feel like it was mine was the Asahi-Kogaku 50/3.5 - the lens that came with the first Asahi SLR ever made which was the first ever Japnaese SLR too....I don't think anyone can own such a lens, I was merely a caretaker for a few months.

Well! thanks for all the words of support, I don't think I'll ever do this again.