Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Safety in Malaysia?

Yeah, going to go overboard here. HAS ANYONE BEEN TO MALAYSIA WITH YOUR CAMERA?

Yeah... I heard there's robberies and kidnappings. I read about this just now.

I know I asked some questions about traveling a couple of months ago and someone said it was pretty safe in Malaysia. I know it isn't the most dangerous country... but yeah... again this is my first time, a bit paranoid.

06-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've been to Kuala Lumpur many times with my camera and have never felt threatened at anytime, I've always watchful of my belongings in crowded situations where pick pockets might be (monorail during rush hour, LRT when it's packed, or Petaling street at night) and there is signs up around Bukit Bintang to watch out for bag snatchers but never had or seen any trouble.

Generally, it's a very safe country with exceptionally friendly people but crime does happen so just be sensible and cautious.
06-21-2010, 01:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I am originally from Malaysia but live in Singapore but I do go back to Kuala Lumpur and other towns a few times in a year. Broadly speaking, it is a very safe country, though it is always prudent to be mindful of your belongings, especially in crowded areas. Never had any problems be it in the city or countryside, even while traveling late at night. A lot of the petty crime is a consequence of the influx of Indonesian guest workers over the years, some of whom unfortunately turn to crime. :ugh:
06-21-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing guys ;D hope to bring back some pictures!

06-22-2010, 05:53 AM   #5
Stf

Hello,

It is not really recent but I have been backpacking in Malaysia in 1996 during 40 days with two friends. We visited the whole country (KL, Tioman, Taman Negara, Perinth., Malacca, ...) and sometimes slept under our tent in the middle of nowhere. At the time, we had a Canon EOS + 2 lenses and we never felt unsecure at all. One of us went back there 2 years ago and was again very happy with his trip.
Obviously the elementary care and prudence remain a wise advice (like in all big cities for instance) but this is certainly not specific to the country that I recommend.
Enjoy !
06-22-2010, 06:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stf Quote
Hello,

It is not really recent but I have been backpacking in Malaysia in 1996 during 40 days with two friends. We visited the whole country (KL, Tioman, Taman Negara, Perinth., Malacca, ...) and sometimes slept under our tent in the middle of nowhere. At the time, we had a Canon EOS + 2 lenses and we never felt unsecure at all. One of us went back there 2 years ago and was again very happy with his trip.
Obviously the elementary care and prudence remain a wise advice (like in all big cities for instance) but this is certainly not specific to the country that I recommend.
Enjoy !
Thanks ;D! Honor to have one of your first 2 posts on here!
06-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #7

General Safety in Malaysia

I have been to Malaysia 4 times from 1994 to 2004 and have not felt any unease in exploring around. I was in Penang and KL with a larger point and shoot, 5700 Nikon and had no troubles at all. If you stay in hotels, take advantage of the in room safe to store your extra gear if it will fit, otherwise, just make sure it is out of site or locked in your grips. The same precautions that you would take traveling anywhere.

The only thing that we were warned about, and I have not seen it happen, are snatch and grab of bags from passing scooters. Just walk with your gear on the side away from the road if you have to walk on the shoulder of the road. Especially for women with large purses.

The Malaysian people are very friendly and helpful to tourists and you should have a great time. Take three times as many photos as you think you should or you will kick yourself on your return. The country is very colorful and the food is fabulous.

If you get to Penang, have yourself some Char Kway Teow , (Fried rice noodles with Prawns).

Enjoy your trip.

06-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianK Quote
I have been to Malaysia 4 times from 1994 to 2004 and have not felt any unease in exploring around. I was in Penang and KL with a larger point and shoot, 5700 Nikon and had no troubles at all. If you stay in hotels, take advantage of the in room safe to store your extra gear if it will fit, otherwise, just make sure it is out of site or locked in your grips. The same precautions that you would take traveling anywhere.

The only thing that we were warned about, and I have not seen it happen, are snatch and grab of bags from passing scooters. Just walk with your gear on the side away from the road if you have to walk on the shoulder of the road. Especially for women with large purses.

The Malaysian people are very friendly and helpful to tourists and you should have a great time. Take three times as many photos as you think you should or you will kick yourself on your return. The country is very colorful and the food is fabulous.

If you get to Penang, have yourself some Char Kway Teow , (Fried rice noodles with Prawns).

Enjoy your trip.
Thanks for the food recommendation! I will enjoy my trip. The photo recommendation is nice too! I hope to take MANY pictures ;D!

My mom is actually from Malaysia... so I probably won't be lost...

Thanks again, I'm actually not too sure which part of Malaysia I'm going to.
06-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Remember to guard your snatch from the thieves in Bukit bintang in KL

06-23-2010, 08:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hehe, you actually took a picture of that ! and no one snatched anything while you were looking ;P.
06-24-2010, 02:27 PM   #11

Sounds like you are set to go, do you speak any of the language? It does not matter anyway, most of the locals understand English. Some of the older generations might not but the kids for sure.

Forgot to mention in my first message to check the site at the bottom of my signature and you will see some images from the trips I have taken over to Malaysia (I am a travel-snapshot photographer, not an artisitic shooter).

The first two in 1993-94, I was there as a consultant from UBC and we got taken around by the staff at the school, so we saw more of the non-tourist sites.

Enjoy your trip.
06-24-2010, 02:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianK Quote
Sounds like you are set to go, do you speak any of the language? It does not matter anyway, most of the locals understand English. Some of the older generations might not but the kids for sure.

Forgot to mention in my first message to check the site at the bottom of my signature and you will see some images from the trips I have taken over to Malaysia (I am a travel-snapshot photographer, not an artisitic shooter).

The first two in 1993-94, I was there as a consultant from UBC and we got taken around by the staff at the school, so we saw more of the non-tourist sites.

Enjoy your trip.
Some of my family are from BC. Wow! You went when I was born. Anyways... a picture is a picture, so any picture helps.

I speak Cantonese and Hakka so I'm sure I can communicate a bit... but I usually speak English.

Going to check out the pictures now.

Wow, they look really good.

Last edited by NecroticSoldier; 06-24-2010 at 03:04 PM.
06-25-2010, 08:40 AM   #13

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
Yeah, going to go overboard here. HAS ANYONE BEEN TO MALAYSIA WITH YOUR CAMERA?

Yeah... I heard there's robberies and kidnappings. I read about this just now.

I know I asked some questions about traveling a couple of months ago and someone said it was pretty safe in Malaysia. I know it isn't the most dangerous country... but yeah... again this is my first time, a bit paranoid.
My Malaysian experiences in the past 5 years include Penang, Langkawi, Sarawak and Sabah. Your main concern should be keeping your gear dry. Dress modestly, be polite, use common sense and you should have no problems.