Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #16
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
A power strip. Generator, extension cord, power strip.

The Honda EU2000i power is from an internal inverter; power is very clean and well regulated, of excellent quality for all electronics; I live in the wilderness, and cannot hear any hum from any of my high-end stereo equipment even at '10', for example.

About the inverter/car suggestion, car batteries get ruined quickly by inverters because of the way a car battery is designed, for high current short burst. In low current, long burst batteries, i.e. Deep-cycle, the metal plates are thicker and they corrode away much slower than a car battery plate will when used with inverter. Likewise, a Deep-Cycle battery cannot supply as much power in a short burst as a car battery, because the plate surface area is much lower. There are compromise designs for dual use; lifetime is compromised as well.
I agree that the Honda is THE solution based on heavy generator need and location. But running a few low-draw appliances with an inverter, for a day on and off, even on a non-deep cycle battery, is not going to seriously hurt the car battery.

06-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #17
Veteran Member

One more note on inverters -- the inverter in the Honda generator is a 'sine-wave' inverter; most inexpensive inverters are smoothed-square-wave type, which can cause problems with some equipment, because the voltage is higher and the wave form has many harmonics some which can be easily heard in audio equipment.

If you do use an inverter with a car battery, avoid running the battery down more than 60% of full charge, and, recharge a low battery asap to avoid 'sulfation', crystalized lead sulfate on battery plates which are insoluable, and greatly reduce battery capacity. The crystals begin to form fairly quickly in car batteries because there is so much plate surface area.
06-26-2010, 12:39 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Occasional use of an inverter isn't going to hurt a car battery as long as the battery doesn't get severely discharged. You can always start the car from time to time. Always shut down the computer if you start the car because it can interrupt the voltage and might cause it to reboot. A small Honda generator should handle the computer/printer/monitor easily. A portable generator is a worthwhile purchase for anybody.
06-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #19
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
One more note on inverters -- the inverter in the Honda generator is a 'sine-wave' inverter; most inexpensive inverters are smoothed-square-wave type, which can cause problems with some equipment, because the voltage is higher and the wave form has many harmonics some which can be easily heard in audio equipment.
A big yes--and the safest thing to use for computers and sensitive equipment.

I always wanted one--there are or two comparable brands for a little cheaper--but that Honda series really rules.

My problem is I need one that can handle a big load, and they're too expensive. I can maybe afford the smallest model or above, but I really want 5000 plus watts in case of an emergency.

06-26-2010, 01:21 PM   #20

The Honda generators are the best - I've been using them for forty years. I currently use a Eu2000i for a mobile lab that has sensitive electronic equipment and it powers them all without a hitch. The output of the Honda is clean and stable and can be used without any additional inline protection. (Some of the cheap units are so poorly regulated and have ugly waveforms that this is a good idea).

Another thing no-one has mentioned is that the Honda will throttle down if the load isn't too high, becoming even quieter and will run for a long time.

Mike
06-26-2010, 01:30 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
A big yes--and the safest thing to use for computers and sensitive equipment.

I always wanted one--there are or two comparable brands for a little cheaper--but that Honda series really rules.

My problem is I need one that can handle a big load, and they're too expensive. I can maybe afford the smallest model or above, but I really want 5000 plus watts in case of an emergency.
The Honda's are nice and are pretty quiet but there are a several decent 5000 watt generators in the $500 range. I have a Troy Bilt which I bought in Lowes a few years ago and it will run everything I need. It is a little loud but I mostly use it in the winter when the windows are closed and it's usually snowing which muffles the noise a bit.
06-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #22
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The Honda's are nice and are pretty quiet but there are a several decent 5000 watt generators in the $500 range. I have a Troy Bilt which I bought in Lowes a few years ago and it will run everything I need. It is a little loud but I mostly use it in the winter when the windows are closed and it's usually snowing which muffles the noise a bit.
I have a 5000 watt--but those Hondas are just so dang small and quiet. They'll also take propane with the conversion kit.

06-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Honda "Eco-throttle"; works really well! Without it I get a little over 6 hours per gallon; with eco-throttle, depending on load I get 8-12 hours per gallon!

Generators use gas just to stay running; even without any load, there is a gas price to pay. Smaller generators use far less gasoline.

5000 Watts sounds like a lot of emergency power -- that's two an a half 20 Amp household circuits. The EU2000i powers my 11-amp 7-1/4" circular saw and my 5HP vacuum cleaner, but it cannot even start a table saw, for example. Refrigerators & big TVs don't take much power. Forget about a generator to power all-electric kitchen; nobody should have an all-electric kitchen... Electric heating? Same. Air conditioners, depends mostly on compressor and fan motors horsepower; figure about 740 Watts per horsepower.

Portable generator sizing depends on intermittant or semi-continuous use; for semi-continuous use I recommend no more than 1/3 load, for best balance of gasoline use efficiency and reserve power. A generator running at full load wears rapidly.
06-26-2010, 06:55 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I would say 5000 watts is a minimum for the north country unless you are heating with wood. I need to run the furnace, refrigerator, freezer and a few lights. Not every appliance is actually running all the time. You can hear the motor bog down when I run the microwave. I have a wood stove but don't use it as my main heat although I could. For an extended power outage in winter, the fridge stuff goes on the porch and the frozen food outside in the garage and the wood stove heats. In summer, the fridge and freezer need to run. Also, the 5000 watt generators are the most common and are well priced. If you have natural gas, it makes the most sense to get a generator that runs on it.
06-27-2010, 05:03 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As far as generators go I would not worry too much about the power quality and harmonics. Most electronics today use high frequency switched mode dual voltage
Power supplies and simply won't care. I would vey a ups for another reason though.

What if someone trips on the cord between the generator and the computer While a laptop has a battery, the hard disk and printer don't. The ups also has multiple outlets and surge protection negating the need for a power bar

As for power rating, I think 5000 watts is overkill unless you are also powering a beer fridge. Most laptops are 65-90 watts. I personally can't imagine needing over 500 watts. As for using the car battery, a load of 500 watts is about 40 amps and this will kill the battery quickly requiring you to run the engine frequently. Additionally this type of load will grossly exceed the rating of the accessory plug
06-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Well, I think we got off on a tangent, going from small portable generators to powering the whole house. The very small, hand carry Honda's and Yamaha generators are more than enough to run any laptop and a lot more. Us north country rednecks tend to go for over kill. I use my laptop often with an inverter that plugs into the lighter. I think it is around 150 watts.
06-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #27
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Well, I think we got off on a tangent, going from small portable generators to powering the whole house. The very small, hand carry Honda's and Yamaha generators are more than enough to run any laptop and a lot more. Us north country rednecks tend to go for over kill. I use my laptop often with an inverter that plugs into the lighter. I think it is around 150 watts.
For me, it's for hurricane power outages. (Wilma was a b*tch, and I DIDN'T have a 5000w then.)

I don't worry about food refrigeration because I have a few huge extreme coolers, which do a great job. Cooking is done via gas grills and stoves, so no power needs there.

But with a wife and two kids, you need FANS, plus power for lights in every room and to run the TVs and and DVDs/game systems. I also have a few deep cycle batteries with inverters, so the generator can be used to charge THEM and supply low-draw use.
06-27-2010, 10:59 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Your car ** is ** a generator. Use a power inverter.

Amazon.com: Vector VEC053D 1,200 Watt D/C To A/C Power Inverter With Power Level…

The idea of placing a very good surge protector between this and your equipment is a good one.

woof!
06-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #29

Photos: Albums
I have to second the UPS idea. I did a lot of mobile comm in the military. A good UPS will filter out spikes and dips. Depending on the temp where you'll be working, you may want to consider a fan to help keep things cool.
The problem with doing the car thing is that if you aren't careful you can kill your alternator.

Last edited by opfor; 06-27-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: edit
06-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Honda Generator the day after update.

All I can say is "DAMN THATS A NICE GENERATOR"!!!

I have nothing but great things to say about the Honda EU2000i generator that I rented this weekend. Started up each time very very easily. Powered the laptop, Epson 1400 printer, Ext. Harddrive, 19" Dell monitor, 12" (I thnk it was) digital picture frame and little fan all day long and never once stopped and couldn't even here the generators over all the other generators that was going around us.

So I give it a thumbs up and would recommend it to anyone who would want to use one to power up a laptop and such.

Thanks for everyones input which made my day at the track go very smoothly.

Thank you
Jim