Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Honda Generator to power laptop, monitor, printer and Ext HD?

Hello everyone, has anyone tried to power a Laptop (Toshiba Satellite L305-S5877), 19" Dell Monitor, Epson 1400 Printer and WD External Hard drive using a Honda Generator? I am shooting a track day at a local race course and the folks putting it on was asking if I had the ability to print out photos of the day while I was there. Now normally I do that from home the day after I get home. But what they asked me kind of got my mind going. There is no power to where I would be at. So the only other thing I could figure was a generator and I thought Honda because I have heard how quiet they are. I don't have a trailer so this would be done under a large 10x10 canopy on folding tables more than likely.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Has anyone did this?

Thank you
Jim Browning

06-24-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

No problem, even EU1000i has power to spare for that load.

250 Watts Laptop (estimated)
15 Watts Printer
300 Watts monitor
5 Watts external drive
===
520 Watts
06-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I've run laptops off of two different generators, neither as sophisticated as Hondas with no problems.
06-24-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks rhodopsin and Wheatfield. The only reason I mentioned Honda is because of how quiet they are. Is there another generator out there that is quiet also?

Thanks
Jim

06-24-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

My understanding is that Honda is pretty much the best there is for gas powered equipment. I have a small Coleman (Briggs & Stratton) and a large 5500 watt power plant, also powered by a B&S engine.
Neither is especially quiet, the 12hp engine on the big generator is quite loud (it's a job site generator first and foremost, so I forgive it the noise).
06-25-2010, 01:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The power consumption of laptops and printers etc is pretty minimal so any small generator will run them, what is the problem is the spikes in the power output of the generator which can blow some laptop transformers, especially Mac's. Make sure the generator you use is moderated (I think that's the word) and don't be tempted to use a rough and ready old bit of kit out of a builders yard.
06-25-2010, 07:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, the Honda will do what you need. Yamaha also makes a comparable model. I have the 2000i and never had aproblem.

06-25-2010, 10:00 AM   #8

To smooth out the power from the generator I would get a UPS and plug that into the generator and plug all your equipment into the UPS. Something like this would work.
AVR900U - AVR Series Line-Interactive UPS System - Affordable line-interactive protection for PCs and workstations
06-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everybody. I have rented a Honda EU2000I for the weekend. What else would you suggest me get? I have heavy duty extension cords at home (in brand new shape). So do I still need to get something to run between the generator/inverter and laptop and other equipement?

Thank you
Jim

Last edited by jbrowning; 06-25-2010 at 11:35 AM.
06-25-2010, 11:29 AM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

You want the Honda eu inverter series because of quiet and safety with sensitive electronic equipment.

They're worth every penny, which is why we shell out more pennies for them.

Florida guy here. Plus hurricanes. Plus experience with generators.
06-25-2010, 11:34 AM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

Another thing:

Did you know that your car is the best generator you can own?

Just buy an inexpensive 12v to 110v inverter and run it off your car battery.

That equipment hardly pulls any amps at all!

Just start the car every 30 minutes or so for a minute or two to keep your battery charged.
06-25-2010, 11:35 AM   #12
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
Thanks everybody. I have rented a Honda EU2000I for the weekend. What else would you suggest me get? I have heavy duty extension cords at home (in brand new shape). So I still need to get something to run between the generator/inverter and laptop and other equipement?

Thank you
Jim
The 2000 has 110v. You don't need an inverter.
06-25-2010, 12:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbrowning Quote
Thanks everybody. I have rented a Honda EU2000I for the weekend. What else would you suggest me get? I have heavy duty extension cords at home (in brand new shape). So do I still need to get something to run between the generator/inverter and laptop and other equipement?

Thank you
Jim
A power strip. Generator, extension cord, power strip.

The Honda EU2000i power is from an internal inverter; power is very clean and well regulated, of excellent quality for all electronics; I live in the wilderness, and cannot hear any hum from any of my high-end stereo equipment even at '10', for example.

About the inverter/car suggestion, car batteries get ruined quickly by inverters because of the way a car battery is designed, for high current short burst. In low current, long burst batteries, i.e. Deep-cycle, the metal plates are thicker and they corrode away much slower than a car battery plate will when used with inverter. Likewise, a Deep-Cycle battery cannot supply as much power in a short burst as a car battery, because the plate surface area is much lower. There are compromise designs for dual use; lifetime is compromised as well.
06-25-2010, 12:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
I live in the wilderness, and cannot hear any hum from any of my high-end stereo equipment even at '10', for example.
What about at "11"
06-25-2010, 12:42 PM   #15
graphicgr8s

If it were my equipment I'd plug a UPS into that generator then put the electronics into the UPS. Most UPS's will clean up the power and if the generator stalls you don't lose anything.