Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How do you treat your camera?

Today I was shooting in an abandoned house and didn't have a tripod. I wanted to get some low angle shots so I just sat the camera in the dirt or on a brick to get the shots. I'm the type of person that thinks that as long as I keep the lens from getting scratched or damaged I'm good. I consider it a tool, not a piece of jewelry. I may have to wipe dirt off of the hood where it layed in the dirt but I get the shot. Are you ok with setting your gear on a dirty floor to get a shot or do you baby it and keep it wrapped up and perfectly safe?

06-26-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I usually will put something under it if I am sitting it on the ground or on a dirty floor. I also tend to keep it away from really dusty or wet humid environments as much as possible, though I have taken my camera to the beach I've never put it too near the water or on the sand. I will cover my camera with a plastic bag out in the rain, and I will stop entirely if it gets really bad.

I'm way too conscious of how much I love my gear and I can't really afford to just go out and replace it so yeah, I'm very careful. I also clean my camera and wipe my lenses. I've never cleaned a digital sensor, too scared, but otherwise I do my best to keep my cameras digital and film safe and clean.

It only takes10 seconds to slide a piece of paper or plastic bag under/over a camera to keep it safe from dirt or wet so why not do it? Why risk it if you can avoid the damage?
06-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

That is why I chose a WR camera body (K-7). To be able to deal with many rugged conditions without having to worry. Like you, I want to make the best shots and I am prepared to take some 'calculated risks'. This is how I have been getting my most interesting shots, and I do not regret it. (Let me add that I did not damage any camera in last 10 years.)

Off course, I always clean my camera and lenses afterwards. TLC is essential. (TLC = Tender, Love and Care.)

Another thing to remember is to never, ever swap lenses under dirty conditions (dusty, wet, damp, ...).

I love the K-7 for its rugged, solid body and WR.... That is why I chose Pentax ahead of Canon.
06-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I've done similar stuff, using railings, tree stumps, rocks and the ground for lack of a tripod. Once with one of my film cameras, I used damp sand on the beach to support the camera for a moonrise/ocean shot. The camera still works.

06-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I treat mine like a goddess when I can. Otherwise I know she's like Xena. She gets dirty and kicks ass when needed.

I don't think that answers the question, but might raise some about me. lol
06-26-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I was knee/waist deep in water last weekend to get a shot of a dock being built and today a toddler managed to nab it and 'run' 2 feet with it. I don't think I'd take my camera underwater... but rain.. sure...

life is short... get the shot...
06-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've shot in lite rain with many camera's, Just hide them under a jacket and take it out for the picture. On the beach, when I lived near one, is ok... But, remember to wipe down the whole camera for salt water residue...Don't ever change a lens on the breach.. unless it's in a large baggie. The sea air is full of salt@! Just check your car windows after a few hours, you'll see.
But, all in all, if I can somewhat protect it, I will go for it. I don't own a WR lens though.

06-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I tend to just expect my cameras to take whatever I dish out, within reason.
Putting a piece of equipment on the ground doesn't concern me. If that's what's available, then that's what I use.
06-26-2010, 08:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
Today I was shooting in an abandoned house and didn't have a tripod. I wanted to get some low angle shots so I just sat the camera in the dirt or on a brick to get the shots. I'm the type of person that thinks that as long as I keep the lens from getting scratched or damaged I'm good. I consider it a tool, not a piece of jewelry. I may have to wipe dirt off of the hood where it layed in the dirt but I get the shot. Are you ok with setting your gear on a dirty floor to get a shot or do you baby it and keep it wrapped up and perfectly safe?
Your's is obviously the correct attitude.......but it's not mine!
I've only got a black Pentax SP11, but it's in mint condition, as are my lenses.
Part of the pleasure of photography for me is owning beautiful equipment, as well as using it!
Cheers, Pickles.
06-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #10
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
I was knee/waist deep in water last weekend to get a shot of a dock being built and today a toddler managed to nab it and 'run' 2 feet with it. I don't think I'd take my camera underwater... but rain.. sure...

life is short... get the shot...
I like your attitude. I'm the same way. I take care of my equipment and make sure it will be usable next time but I'm not going to miss a shot because I'm worried that the scratch I'll be putting on the body will affect the resale value. I'm out there to shoot and improve my skills.
06-27-2010, 12:50 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I treat my K-7 the same way I treat any other 35mm camera, they are small and well built(at least the ones I own) and the K-7 has taken more of a beating as my Leica M7 has over the years, that is for sure.
06-27-2010, 01:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

It's a tool not a fetish.

Or, at least, it should to be.
06-27-2010, 05:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

While I don't keep my stuff encased in bubble wrap, if I was putting it on a dirty floor I'd be tempted to put something between it - a cloth or a divider from my camera bag, for example.

Reason is this: while I know my cameras are both weather sealed and dust resistant, most of my lenses are not. And I know that if you don't clean that dirt off before changing a lens/removing memory cards/battery/etc., then there exists the possibility of getting crap inside the camera.

So basically, I'm careful, but not beyond reason. (I don't think anyway)
06-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I try to keep my camera and lenses well protected against anything that will affect their performance.

I don't sweat cosmetics.
06-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #15
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I try to keep my camera and lenses well protected against anything that will affect their performance.

I don't sweat cosmetics.
Exactly, I didn't get anything except for the bottom of the body and the lens hood in the dirt and wiped it off as soon as I was done. I'm careful not to do anything to hurt the operation of the cam or lens. But I'm not going to avoid using it because I might put a scratch on it or get it a bit dirty.

I also mountain bike. There are riders that worry about getting the first scratch on a bike to be treated rough in the dirt. I just don't get it.