Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
Forum Member

Wedding Photography

Okay so as luck would have it, I have the chance to photograph some weddings in the months of Sept/Oct. Now these are for a coworker, and some friends. All have seen the work I have done, and Im very grateful to them to give me this chance. Now I have some questions for you guys that have experience in these situations. such as:

Is it better to stay less seen, and try not to move around alot during the wedding ceremony. Or is it better to move around and get somewhat close to get the shot?

Is there any certain lens combination you guys can suggest that may be really good?

Also is a flash suggested? as far as my knowledge goes one is non religious and none are being held at a church.

I guess what im really looking for is some tips as to certain types of images that have a good, feel. As well as certain places that are good during certain parts of the ceremony. In all of them I am doing the ceremony and reception with the reception being mostly candids except the cutting of the cake and first dances.

06-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

If there is a rehearsal, go to it. You should be able to pick your shooting locations at this time.
You are going to get an onslaught of recommendations for short zooms like the 16-50/2.8.
I take a different approach and use all primes for weddings. My go to lens is the 31/1.8 LTD, and I'll shoot better then 80% of a wedding with this lens.
I like flash, but I detest show mount flash units. I am still using a 25 year old Metz 60 series flash that is just a big auto flash at this point as it doesn`t support digital TTL.
It does what I want it to do though, and it`s never let me down.
I try to not move much during the ceremony, as it is very easy to cross the line from recording the event to becoming part of it.
As soon as you've crossed the line and gotten noticed, you've fouled up in a big way.
06-26-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It is impossible to make flash recommendations. Flashes should be used to fill the shadows in bad lighting or possibly provide some minor "light separation" with the background - and this can be done with anything that produces light. Wheatfield uses a 25 year old hammerhead... I use TTL flashes but I often use them in manual mode... the newest craze is to use video lights like the torch light. Any of the above is fine but you need to know how to use it. Unlike cameras where you can buy something with better AF, higher dymanic range etc... to improve your photography. With lighting it is much more important to know how to use the equipment rather than buy a certain kind of equipment.

Ceremony pictures are pretty much the easiest pictures to take ever. There's not much going on and it all gets announced beforehand - and there's usually only a couple of angles to get the shot from. You can shoot primes or zooms but zooms will give you more shot options.

The hard thing about wedding photography is portraits. Study poses and learn the location where you can get some nice environmental portraits. Its these portraits that seperates the rookies from the experienced wedding photographers - and the good wedding photographers from the great wedding photographers
06-26-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
thank you for the current info guys! I have a mix of both primes and zooms, I guess my current plan is to borrow my dads camera which is also a k20 and run one with zooms and one with primes... as far as lighting, the first is outdoors, and I know the area somewhat well, and am more comfortable with natural light.

As far as flashes go, im not too good with shoemount flashes. Im more comfortable using two strobes I have, however i imagine that would be a no go.

Thank you for the tip about learning poses, as i know there will be a few if not many before the ceremony and after ceremony posed shots, and I have definately seen the difference between well posed and just plain stiff.

07-06-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding photography gig.

A couple of things that I try to keep in mind: bring back up equipment! Two camera bodies, one with a wide angle and one with a 50mm f/1.4 is a nice setup, I think.

As many batteries as you can...if you're using on camera flash, you'll zip through batteries.

Do a site visit in advance (both reception site & wedding site). If there is a facility manager at the reception site, (like a golf course) ask if he/she has a favorite setting or tee for photos. They know their facility better than you do.

Rehearsal attendance is a great idea...if the event has an "outdoor" element to any part, ask what the rain plan is & check it out.

Plan a few poses for each setting in advance, write them down on an index card & stick it in your pocket. Get these done & then improvise.

Relax, breathe & don't panic...know your equipment and what it can do before you get there (I'm sure you have that down already, or they wouldn't have asked you).

Personally, I think its a good idea when doing wedding photography for free for friends to outline exactly what the expectations are in advance: flash ok? do they have expectations you should know about? when will the photos be ready? how will they be presented? that sort of thing. Clear up details in advance.

Good luck!!
07-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You may enjoy this thread. Or not.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/106245-doing-first-wedding-gulp.html
07-07-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
That about sums it up!

07-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just don't do this...

07-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I can't stop watching. I guess his flashes needed to cool off anyway.
07-07-2010, 03:48 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Funny how the videographer escaped unscathed.
07-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by LSPhotography Quote
thank you for the current info guys! I have a mix of both primes and zooms, I guess my current plan is to borrow my dads camera which is also a k20 and run one with zooms and one with primes... as far as lighting, the first is outdoors, and I know the area somewhat well, and am more comfortable with natural light.

As far as flashes go, im not too good with shoemount flashes. Im more comfortable using two strobes I have, however i imagine that would be a no go.

Thank you for the tip about learning poses, as i know there will be a few if not many before the ceremony and after ceremony posed shots, and I have definately seen the difference between well posed and just plain stiff.
You should be able to set up your strobes post ceremony for the still shots as well as during the reception, if you're not planning on moving them much. As for lenses, for most of weddings, I've tried 3 different combos on 2 bodies, it'll depend on the types of shots you're going for. I tried to be "hidden" for the most part.

Combo 1: DA 12-24 and DA*50-135
Combo 2: DA 14 and DA*50-135
Combo 3: DA-12-24 and FA 77 LTD

Combo 2 worked the best for me when running around trying to get a lot of shots in. When it was time for the set/still pieces, then you have a little more time to switch out lenses as necessary.

Some other tips I found useful for wedding shoots in addition to what everyone said so far:
1) If you can have a 2nd shooter/assistant that can help do the more risque/creative stuff that you can play around with later. As for an assistant, they can be helpful to hold strobes/reflectors or position people for the group shots.

2) If they have big families, ask the bride and groom to "appoint" one of their family members from each side to help gather the key people from each side. It help move things along quickly!

3) Ask in advanced if there are any key shots the bridge and/or groom would like, some will have this pre-defined notion of what they want, or if there is a special cultural traditional moment that they want captured.
07-07-2010, 06:08 PM   #12
Inactive Account

That video made me

c[_]
07-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Bugsy603- Thank you! Im excited that my friends are allowing me to shoot for em.
Definitly will have two bodies on me.. actually for this first one I will have three. Since the bride likes to play with film and would like me to do a couple rolls of film for her to mess with.
Also hopefully wont be using my on camera flash. I will also be visiting the place a few times before the wedding to get everything down. The cue card Idea is really good. Relaxing is definately one of the key parts, but hopefully like most of the photo gigs of gotten so far, im all tense till it starts happening, and then I stay very calm.

Special K-thanks for link to the thread, I will definately be checking that out.

GMoney- That is so awesomely horrible.

Gdoan- those seem like some good lens combos, mostly covering a good spectrum of zoom lengths.

Thank you all very much for this information.
07-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
a quick update, here is what i have in my camera bag as far as lenses.

50mm 1.7
24mm 2.8
100mm 4
16-50 2.8
70-300 4-5.6

My dad also has some lenses both primes and zooms that will allow me to cover another spectrum of zoom length.
07-08-2010, 07:27 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Leave the 70-300 at home.