Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Anyway, don't take it too harsh, but you will be doing a paid photography job with consumer lenses and no additional lightning except the flashes, which is not very ok in my opinion and will surely have an impact on the final output. If someone knowledgeable sees you working and talks to the customers, your price better be not close to a pro's.
While I somewhat understand the point, let's face it, this is a Pentax forum, but if it's a 35mm camera and the nameplate doesn't say Canon or Nikon (or maybe Leica), at least from a consumer standpoint, it's not a professional camera. You'd always risk have to explain away or apologize to a segment of paying customers for using Pentax equipment of any kind. Nobody knows or cares the difference between DA and DA*; they just know the brand names. As for the point about the lens quality, just as importantly you can make an argument that a pro would be using the very lastest full-frame sensor, which would probably make more difference than a good kit lens vs. a "pro" zoom.

Paul

07-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
While I somewhat understand the point, let's face it, this is a Pentax forum, but if it's a 35mm camera and the nameplate doesn't say Canon or Nikon (or maybe Leica), at least from a consumer standpoint, it's not a professional camera. You'd always risk have to explain away or apologize to a segment of paying customers for using Pentax equipment of any kind. Nobody knows or cares the difference between DA and DA*; they just know the brand names. As for the point about the lens quality, just as importantly you can make an argument that a pro would be using the very lastest full-frame sensor, which would probably make more difference than a good kit lens vs. a "pro" zoom.

Paul
I've not had that issue. If you act like a pro, most people won't be pestering you about your camera brand (otherwise the Medium format shooters would always have to explain their Hasselblads). If you use your camera like you know what you're doing, people will assume you are "for real".

Besides, most modern DSLRs look essentially the same to the average person. I bet you'd get more quizzical looks shooting with a Leica than a K7.