Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Use a tripod and a longer exposure

a pal of mine took this on July 1st ( canada day)

Day.1 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

his info is in the description

all my shots were handheld with a fast shutter and I got only about 10% of the fireworks unless they were incredibly fast ones

here is one of mine ( out of 2 that came out nice!)

Canada Day 2010 156 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

07-04-2010, 05:55 AM   #17

Sample Photos of fireworks

You might check out the fireworks photos that were put up on the site belonging to the "River Valley Photographic Society". ALL the photos were taken with a Pentax K10D. Here is the link to their automated slideshow -- River Valley Photographic Society Galleries

Email them at info@rivervallyphoto.ca if you would like the technical details.

When taking these type of photos, get there early (like -- really early), to check the site out and determine which angle to take the photos from. It will really make a difference. Don't forget to take a chair and bug spray -- well you might as well be comfortable.
07-04-2010, 01:44 PM   #18
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So far, at about 5PM my time, it looks like it's going to be a total bust tonight for me. Just like last year:

Rain.

I even had to pull my Q off the smoker because it was coming down so freaking hard.

It lightened up now, but chances are good it will get nuts again later.
07-04-2010, 07:32 PM   #19
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I managed to get down there for the first time in over 30 years. Turned out the ones I took, look good, using the suggestions in this thread.

07-04-2010, 11:33 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery
I can recommend you to adjust your exposure settings from 4-5 seconds to 15 seconds accroding to the number of fireworks following each other and Diaphragm to F/11. Here some of my experiences;

07-05-2010, 10:58 AM   #21
Inactive Account

This was the first Fourth with my K7. These were 2 second exposures, f/2.8 (the wind was blowing the fireworks so I was trying to go for as short exposure as possible)

(these were taken from my front yard, so I don't mind including a little powerline and street light)
07-05-2010, 11:00 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I tend to prefer ISO200 and 2-5 sec exposures at f/8 for fireworks. Note that this is one realm of photography that benefits greatly from creative post-processing such as layers and masks if you have the inclination and time.

Jack
07-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #23

bad first attempt

I think it was too soon for me to try fireworks! I haven't really had time to learn enough about my camera, but I really wanted to try. I am new to the whole dslr scene.

I took some of them in bulb mode, some on auto focus, some manual focus, some in auto mode, some in landscape mode. Basically, I tried a little of everything to see which turned out the best. I took 150 pictures and I am so disappointed. I don't have a single good one.

I didn't have a tripod so that was part of the problem, but they all have a very "stringy" look to them. I will try to post an example later to see if you can tell me what I did wrong.

Just very disappointing.

07-05-2010, 02:55 PM   #24

Photos: Albums
Sigma 17-70@17, ISO 200, Daylight WB, bulb w/ remote, f11

07-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #25
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I went overboard in shooting these last night. I got home and had shot 265 photos. Here is some that came out rather well.

These were handheld also. I used my Sigma 70-300mm on 70mm. Next year I'll take the 18-55mm because we were quite close to where they were launched, and the 70mm was too much lens.
07-06-2010, 12:27 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I prefer 20-30 second exposures at ISO 100 and something around f/9.5, obviously on a tripod.

What happens when you recompose mid-exposure.
07-09-2010, 03:39 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Why would you want lame fireworks photos? Have you seen the ones posted here and anywhere else on the web? They all look the same, there are millions of them, and they're boring. Right click and save your favourite, save time, and enjoy the display with your eyes. I mean well, so the final decision is yours, if you so choose to don your wool and follow the masses.

P.S. Make sure your flash is OFF when taking the photos. Nothing is more annoying than watching fireworks and being distracted by jerks taking photos with their flash on.
07-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #28
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why? Because I like to shoot them, and it gives me practice in photography. And since they only come around once during the year here, I can view them again, months away.

Why is always your posts or comments in the negative?
07-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
I usually stick them in the ground, light them, and run.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I've never tried firework photography. But a trick I've heard before is to do really long exposures, and have a piece of black cardboard or whatever, and place it in front of the lens between fireworks, that way your sky stays nice and dark, and doesn't start to wash out from the long exposure. When you see a firework go up, you remove the black thing let it register, then cover back up and wait for another. I think this is better than shooting at the finalle, where it's usually just a big mess. I would think with some practice, you could use this technique to pick and choose what fireworks are in you frame, and try and compose them almost.

Also, I think straight up firework shot are pretty boring. They're cool for a minute, but then they all look the same. Try to get some sky line or landmark or something. If it's just black sky and fireworks, that could be anywhere, but if you find something to help give a sense of location, I think that makes a big difference. Also, typically the best place to get fireworks shots is not the best place to watch them.
Wow, that blackboard idea is very interesting.
07-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by svensimon Quote
I saw this great effect on Flickr where you start with focus at infinity and then turn the ring during the exposure to create those amazing drops of colors. I will definitely have to try this when firework season comes around to Japan!
Have any links to examples?