Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What shots to look for in Taekwondo photography?

posting 5 which in my opinion is attention grabbing.

Last edited by Reportage; 07-03-2010 at 01:01 PM.
07-03-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would have cropped each one DRASTICALLY for more dramatic shots. For example, the last one:

It would have just been the kid's head and the foot.

Every one of those shots would be more interesting with different cropping.
07-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
do the photographers simply blaze away at every move or look for tell tale signs of a technique being readied?

i also have a problem with the DoF as its so dark i need f/2 even with my body more or less at max iso for the shutter speed i need. Often one fighter is sharp while the other is blurred.

the way i see it, f/4 solves the problem but would either need flash which is no go for tournaments or flood lights aimed at the arena.

Last edited by Reportage; 07-03-2010 at 01:09 PM.
07-04-2010, 05:30 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What iso are you using?

I agree flash is a no no.

It helps if you know this sport yourself and photographing patterns is easier.

Sparring is tough for two reasons first you can't usually get good shots of both fighters and second unlike when they do patterns you don't know the exact sequence, although the more experienced competitors will follow sequences out of the patterns.

Anticipation helps, so when someone starts a kick or punch you shoot in anticipation that they will hit something.

Also spend a little time setting WB I didn't notice in your shots specifically but normally gym lighting is terrible.

As for focus and speed I found the best lens was my F1.4 50 mm manual focus.

07-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

What are you using or a body? What was your ISO? What was your shutter speed, besides too low? You're already maxed out on aperture, you're shutter speeds are already too low and you can't add light via flash. So basically you need about 4-5 stops faster of an ISO. Two stops to get you to f/4, 1 stop to get rid of that motion blur, and 1-2 stops more because the photos are pretty underexposed. Although it doesn't help that there is hard overhead lighting, which is already trying to blow out parts of the gi. So hopefully you were shooting these at like ISO 200, other wise, good luck with that.

As for capturingthe right moments. That's all about timing, speed and anticipation. The more you shoot a sport, the more you get to know it's rhythm. The more you shoot an athlete, the more you get to know their style. The more you shoot in general, the more you can hone you speed and timing. It always helps if you have a past or even currently participate in the sport, since you will have an insiders knowledge of how it works.
07-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The way things are heading, will need to bring laptop onsite so that can fine tune the camera settings for such future events.

This is from the next day with the same lighting only the camera settings has been "tweaked".

I am always amazed how just a few button press on the camera can change the overall iq.
07-06-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Why do you need your laptop to fine tune you're camera settings?

07-07-2010, 01:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
easier when having a larger lcd to compare images taken so that can adjust the settings onsite.

as above shows, same lighting + same kit just that different in-camera settings.

I hope the next one Pentax might put in wireless features to send the picture to the laptop as well for instant picture viewing.
07-07-2010, 07:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

You shouldn't really need a laptop on site to dial in you shot. As long as you know how to read your histogram, and understand shutter speed, aperture, and ISO, then all you need is to use the LCD to assure focus. Spending too much time reviewing shots will just mean missing other shots. Just get your exposure set right, then rock out. Then review everything every so often when there is down time.
07-07-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Not really throughout the match...just the initial warm ups for an idea what i would get using usual settings and then tweaking to match the current conditions. Once thats locked in, i dont even need to review shots (unless there is radical light change) till i download the pics to the laptop. That way while others are chimping, i am ready to shoot.

never know when an athelete would do something interesting and unusual during downtime.