Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Over or Under-reacting...???

My wife and I head to Teton and Yellowstone next week for a wedding. We'll be there three full days. I'm trying to decide what to take and keep waffling...stupid LBA causes more problems than I figured...

Anyway, I have the following targets to shoot:
Wildlife (close and a quite a distance)
Scenics (afterall...it's the great Teton and Yellowstone!)
The wedding

We are driving - so no worries on the air travel front.

I am planning to take my DA 60-250, Vivitar 100-500 (for wildlife), DA 12-24 (for scenics) and a 50mm 1.4 lens for the wedding. I'll have a 1.4 and 2.0 extenders also.

Should I bring a fast 135mm or 100mm lens also?

One last thing - what recommendations do you have for "must see" areas at both parks? I'm following Ansel Adam's track in Teton the first day, but am open after that.

07-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by opiet70 Quote
Anyway, I have the following targets to shoot:
Wildlife (close and a quite a distance)
Scenics (afterall...it's the great Teton and Yellowstone!)
The wedding

We are driving - so no worries on the air travel front.
Bring everything. Decide later. If it was me trying to minimize lenses...

100-500
12-24
50 as a gap filler.
07-07-2010, 08:52 PM   #3

Even though you will be amongst tourists from around the world you must see Old Faithful if for not other reason that to feel the ground shake. I would also go to the West Thumb thermal area and the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone.

In addition to your lenses I would be sure to bring a polarizer. It will really help in bringing out the colors.
07-08-2010, 07:21 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

If you are traveling by car, if you have the space, take everything. That way you won't be kicking yourself for leaving something at home.
Make sure you get some pictures of the sunset behind the Tetons. It is quite a lovely area.

07-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by opiet70 Quote

One last thing - what recommendations do you have for "must see" areas at both parks? I'm following Ansel Adam's track in Teton the first day, but am open after that.
There's so many must-see's it's hard to know what to recommend, but I really found Taggart Lake, in the Grand Tetons, a great spot just far enough off the beaten path (it's a 1 and half mile hike) not to be over-photographed. Be sure to get there early, because they parking lot fills up rapidly after 10 a.m.

Following Ansel Adam's track sound intriguing, but Adams' most famous Teton shot over the Snake River is no longer as compelling because the trees around the river have grown a lot since then.

The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone is one of the not to be missed places of that park. If you photograph the canyon from the top of the lower falls, you can get rainbows appearing the mists of the falls.

If you wish to photograph Old Faithful, you might contrive to get there as early possible. It can often be a challenge to find parking there in the afternoon, despite the immense parking lot. I had all kinds of difficulties on a Tuesday in the middle of July.
07-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Take everything and just use what you need.

Which is the same as saying, just use your favourite lens or two, but you know you had all the others with you just in case.

As you can see from my sig, I carry the absolute minimum amount of kit required to get the job done, a couple of bodies (for backup) with lenses already mounted that are most likely to be required and three other lenses. I only use prime lenses, but I guess a zoom user could carry possibly even less lenses.

If I come up short, there is usually always a work around solution and if not find a plan B, it's can do, not can't do with me, "F8 and be there".

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 07-09-2010 at 01:50 PM.