Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photo-opportunity "poaching"

I hate it when this happens.

So I'm on a public ferry boat with my gear, and I notice a rare thing happen nearby - a gorgeous butterfly lands on the hand of an attractive woman.

Everything seems to go still, and while the butterfly is flexing its wings I compose would could've been a great shot...

But then some random guy shoves his point-n-shoot in front of my pretty obvious lens and camera (K20D & Tamron 17-50) and I end up with this before the butterfly takes off:

07-10-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Thats a great shot and only humerous since it did not happen to me. I don't know your rage level but biting one's tongue and walking away seems unsatisfying compared to chucking his p&s over the side...maybe him too. Sorry for your aggrevation though. If this thread lets you forget it and sleep tonight then its quite worth our time.
07-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Geez, unless he was an acquaintance of the woman, the guy's a genuine dork! I'll remember that thumb in case I run into him

It seems to me that perhaps you both missed the real photo op, though--that's a pretty striking woman.
07-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, guys. It's pretty funny to me now, mainly because the shot above still manages to show what I missed!

In retrospect, I think the reason the guy pushed in is because I was actually lower that the posted shot is (trying to get the reflection of the butterfly in her sunglasses, though I forget to stop-down!), and I stood up when I saw him in the periphery and didn't want to get stepped on. He might've thought I had my shot?

In any case, it's my blurriest "keeper" to date!

07-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I suspect that got a photo neatly focused on her finger, with the butterfly being a blur.

The world has never experienced a shortage of self-centered asswipes. Modern society seems to have gone out of its way to glut the market with them.
07-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thats the kind of guy that you bang on the back of the head with a big lens... what a jacka$$!
07-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Boot to the head!

07-12-2010, 08:04 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I suspect that got a photo neatly focused on her finger, with the butterfly being a blur.
But he had it on "flower mode"!!!

Now I'm almost giggling every time I see this shot and think of what he got, since my shot has context while his does not. In a few months he'll finally be downloading his jpegs from Toronto and go "Huh - what was this one with a blurryfly? Was I drunk? DELETE."

Now if I had an FA*200 Macro, the aura alone would stop all poaching...
07-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #9
Inactive Account

it happens all the time in photography (not to draw a poor comparison, but look at paparazzi- that's all about getting the shot the others can't get). Generally, photographers should honor each others line of sight, and kindly move if asked, but some random guy jumping in is a regular 'hazard' of the job/life.
Curse him and move on.
07-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You know that a K20D with your lens weighs over 3 pounds. Brought down hard on his head it would get his attention.
07-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

At least you got a cool shot with a story. Blurry or not, it's a pretty cool "frame with a frame" type shot
07-13-2010, 07:10 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
You know that a K20D with your lens weighs over 3 pounds. Brought down hard on his head it would get his attention.
Add in the grip w/ 2nd battery and the KirkPhoto bracket and it's even heavier! But I don't think I'd want to risk breaking my camera...

QuoteOriginally posted by wshi Quote
At least you got a cool shot with a story. Blurry or not, it's a pretty cool "frame with a frame" type shot
Yeah, it's an acceptable "booby prize" for the aggravation. There have to be thousands of other instances of this happening to the folks on the forum without evidence... now if I worked in CSI, I'd hit "enhance" and the blur and shake would be gone!
01-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
now if I worked in CSI, I'd hit "enhance" and the blur and shake would be gone!
Then you'd run "facial recognition" and get her phone number.
01-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They most likely were together, (look at her facial expression) having fun. Then this jerk shows up trying to bud in on their moment with the butterfly, how rude and selfish.

Shame on you, just because you shoot Pentax, the world does not belong to you.
01-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #15

Maybe you got the photo you were meant to get?
It tells a couple of stories with no explanations. I'd say it was a success. Congrats