Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
shooting meteor showers w/ K-7 time lapse

I've been wondering about a program for self-directing my K-7 at this summer's Perseid shower. If I bump the iso to maybe 1000/1250 and shoot for ~ 90 seconds, allow 90 more for dark frame NR, and ten seconds for luck - I can set the interval timer to shoot every 4 minutes and walk away! Other than a fresh battery and/or a solar charger, that would be handy. I usually shift to different parts of the sky after a few shots, which is when one pops up where I just was - this new method (and shooting 16mm) would force me to stop doing that.

I need to test-shoot 90s to see how stars look, I suppose.. I'll be camping in relative darkness in 2 weeks so that'll be on my list.

Has anyone here used their K-7 at similar settings to shoot meteors?

07-11-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I haven't shot meteors with the K-7, but have done star shots with it for a short time lapse video.

At 90 seconds per exposure stars will no longer be points and will instead show trails. 25 seconds is about pefect to keep stars looking relatively like points at 16mm.

In an area with a fair amount of light pollution exposures of 25 seconds at ISO 800 were pretty good for me, but kicking up the ISO also probably wouldn't hurt.
07-12-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wouldn't change parts of the sky. That's just a random crap shoot.

If you can contact a local meteorologist (I know that's the weather person not the meteor person) he or she will probably know in what part of the sky you will get your best results.
04-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
Forum Member

Sorry to dig up an old thread - I am researching time lapse for something I want to do this summer. Meteor showers are named based on the constellation from which the meteors seem to originate, so therefore the Perseid meteor showers originate from the constellation of Perseus.

To the original poster, how did it turn out?
Mike

04-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

This is a good week to think about shooting metors. The Lyrid showers are expected to peak April 21 (or the morning of the 22nd) on a nearly moonless night.

the Lyrid meteor shower