Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2007, 03:00 PM   #1

Cheap macro solution?

I shoot with a k100d, and am interested in delving into macro a little. Unfortunatly I have enough things to buy (and a wedding to help pay for) at the moment that I can't afford to run out and buy a "real" macro lens.

however, I am inclined to want better macro than the type one can produce with the "macro" on a telephoto zoom lens.

I have been recommended all manner of solutions from reversing rings to extension tubes to cardboard tube with duct tape

Can any recommend to me the best poor man's macro? reversing ring? extension tubes? other? benefits/disadvantages versus a "real" macro lens?

The lenses I have that could potentially be pared with any sort of set up are:
manual 50 mm 1.7
manual 28mm 2.8
da 18-55 kit lens
af sigma 28-105 4-5.6

any ideas?

08-15-2007, 03:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

my suggestion...

A fast 50mm lens with a 2x Macro Focusing Teleconverter. One of the best is the Vivitar. It's a great way to start.

You must buy it used, LNIB, etc. on an auction site, a camera store that sells old equipment, or someplace similar.

You already own the 50mm...

Cheers,
Marc
08-15-2007, 04:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The $15 eBay macro extension tubes from sellers like Fotodiox work reasonably well with non-DA lenses. (i.e. anything that has a real aperture ring.)
08-15-2007, 04:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Taken with a $20 SMC Takumar 55/1.8 on the end of 57mm of $25 of circa 1960 extension tubes. Flash reflection courtesy of the aluminum foil my wife wrapped my lunch in that day.

Cheap enough for ya?

If you're on a budget and want to do macro nothing beats extension tubes.

08-15-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Another option for extension is to get an old 2x or 3x cheap teleconverter by Sears or anybody - they can be had for pretty cheap usually, then take the glass out I saw an example of that over on steves....

Only problem with the cheap tubes from places like fotodiox is many of them do not pass the aperture lever, so you can't do open aperture metering and focusing, which can be a pain in Macro....
08-15-2007, 05:27 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
A fast 50mm lens with a 2x Macro Focusing Teleconverter. One of the best is the Vivitar. It's a great way to start.

You must buy it used, LNIB, etc. on an auction site, a camera store that sells old equipment, or someplace similar.

You already own the 50mm...

Cheers,
Marc
What he said. The vivitar macro focusing tele is great. I use it with a M 1.4, which makes it a 100mm 2.8f. It will focus down to 1:1 macro.

If you mess with the two focus rings you can create some pretty cool soft focus macros like this one. The effect is done by placing the converter at 1:1 macro and focusing the lens out to infinity.

Soft Focus Macro Hosta Plant 1/500s, f1.4, Pentax-M 50mm 1.4, 2x Macro Tele-Converter. K100D

Last edited by fletcherkane; 10-09-2007 at 10:52 AM.
08-15-2007, 08:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I saw a couple SMC Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro @ Ebay now for less than 100 USD . Never know how much it will go up though !

08-16-2007, 07:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmbower Quote
(snip) Can any recommend to me the best poor man's macro? (snip)

The cheapest solution you'll likely find is the close-up diopters filter sets. These range in price from $15 to $50 US dollars, attaching to the front of your lens just like a filter. Since they are, in effect, a filter, they'll work just fine with both auto-focus and manual lenses. I didn't look up the filter size of your lenses, but instead just provided a link here to a 55mm size set as an example.

Amazon.com: Bower Digital Macro Filter Kit 55mm +1 +2 +4 Close Up Lenses with Lens Cap & Cap-Keeper - For Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax & Sony Lenses with 55mm Filter Size: Electronics

Search using the word "closeup" along with your needed filter size to find others (example, "closeup 58mm").

I've used Tiffen closeup filters for many years, the most recent purchased from B&H. Hoya and B&W filters are just fine also.

By the way, since "Bower" appears to be your name (or at least part of your user id), you should like the "Bower" set linked to.

stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 08-16-2007 at 07:34 AM. Reason: spelling
08-16-2007, 08:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

You could also look at a Raynox DCR250. They're on $40.00 US at B&H and will work on lenses with a filter diameter between 52 & 67mm IIRC.

This was done with a Tamron 70-300mm set to 260mm with the Raynox attached. Aperture was F/22.

The shortcomings are that anything over 200mm in focal length results in a very narrow depth of field - even at f/22. Holding it steady is another challenge. Also, while the sharpness is okay, it's obviously not as sharp as true macro lenses or reversing-ring set-ups.

The advantages are that it's usable on a lot of different lenses and it's still reasonably sharp for the cost.
08-16-2007, 09:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
The cheapest solution you'll likely find is the close-up diopters filter sets. These range in price from $15 to $50 US dollars, attaching to the front of your lens just like a filter. Since they are, in effect, a filter, they'll work just fine with both auto-focus and manual lenses. I didn't look up the filter size of your lenses, but instead just provided a link here to a 55mm size set as an example.

Amazon.com: Bower Digital Macro Filter Kit 55mm +1 +2 +4 Close Up Lenses with Lens Cap & Cap-Keeper - For Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax & Sony Lenses with 55mm Filter Size: Electronics

Search using the word "closeup" along with your needed filter size to find others (example, "closeup 58mm").

I've used Tiffen closeup filters for many years, the most recent purchased from B&H. Hoya and B&W filters are just fine also.

By the way, since "Bower" appears to be your name (or at least part of your user id), you should like the "Bower" set linked to.

stewart
You an also take an existing lens and reverse it, or put it reversed on the end of another lens on your camera body.

General Brand | Reverse Adapter Pentax K to 49mm | AV49PK | B&H

I just ordered this for my m50/1.4 & m135/3.5... I've tested it out holding the lenses together and it's ridiculously powerful (Lincolns head on a penny is 3/4 of a full image and slight variations and stains in the copper coating are easily seen):

General Brand | 49mm Macro Coupler (Male to Male) | ROKUNAR |

I got the idea from this website:

Plonsky - Macrophotography Article
08-16-2007, 11:31 AM   #11
roy
Inactive Account

i took a body cap and bored a hole in it and then glued an adapter ring to it. works great for reversing a lens.

08-16-2007, 11:33 AM   #12
roy
Inactive Account

i also took a rear cap and did the same so i could put acc. on it.

08-16-2007, 11:35 AM   #13
roy
Inactive Account

i've got a set of ex. tubes that are aperture linked if you are interested. also a couple of 50mm lenses.
08-16-2007, 11:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
i took a body cap and bored a hole in it and then glued an adapter ring to it. works great for reversing a lens.
That's a great idea. Obviously it works well too.
08-16-2007, 01:26 PM   #15

Original Poster
Roy, I might be. My budget is kinda limited at the moment, but I'd be interested in hearing what they go for. I'm really jazzed about starting in on some macro..I've shot mostly wide angle landscape and architecture kinds of stuff up until now (Flickr: Photos from JMBower), so this is a whole new world for me.