Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
Inactive Account

How to take pictures of lightening with K10D

So last night we had a beautiful lightening storm. It was the best I've seen here in a few weeks and I wanted to take pictures of it with my K10D. So I put it on a monopod and opened the lens up, I got nothing but blackness. I took it off of autofocus because it was giving me problems and took a couple of shots of the house across the street which was fine but it wouldn't capture any lightening. I need some tech advice for getting lightening pictures.

07-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a lot of luck and persistence. Use a 3-10 second exposure and a tripod so you can get enough light and sharp pictures.

I got this after about 30 minutes of taking pictures almost constantly:

07-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager

Yep, as Dave says, it's being at the right place at the right time, having your camera pointed at the right direction with the right focal length - sheer luck.
But consider even longer exposures if you want lots of strikes captured in the frame and tweak your aperture setting to get the right sharpness and avoid noise (limit ISO to 100-200) as much as you can.
07-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I took these at ISO 400 with 20 second exposures at about 6.7 at 18mm and still needed a ton of luck.

07-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Very cool!
07-11-2010, 09:16 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
well...

I got some nice pictures of trees and that is about it. I have six new mosquito bites and a swollen forehead. Yup, it went well. Luck huh? Ok so I at least got images on the camera this time around. Sigh...I'll try again in a little while but I'm getting eaten alive out there.
07-24-2010, 02:17 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I got it!

It took two hours but I got a picture of lightening, actually four pictures. I feel like a rock star!
Things I learned:
1. Stick it out, even when its really bad weather.
2. Patience does pay off.
3. Bug spray is a necessity as a photographer.
07-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mahukey Quote
I got some nice pictures of trees and that is about it. I have six new mosquito bites and a swollen forehead. Yup, it went well. Luck huh? Ok so I at least got images on the camera this time around. Sigh...I'll try again in a little while but I'm getting eaten alive out there.
The first bit of photographic equipment I buy in the spring is a can of insect repellent.