Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Candid Shots of People in Public

Hey, I was just wondering - how do you guys do your candid shots of people on the street? I often see strangers in an interesting way, be it the way they carry themselves or look or are positioned in a scene, but with my kit lens, it's pretty hard to be, well, candid about it. Obviously it's a bit easier with lens with a high focal length, but even so, if you're on the street, it's pretty easy to see a guy pointing a huge lens at you.

07-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If you do a forum search there is some good discussion on this topic. I'll try and do a few points off the top of my head. These are my opinion.

- I think using long focal lengths is generally a mistake, separating you from the scene
- There's a good reason street photographers usually use wide to standard focal lengths
- Some photographers prefer hiding gear, i prefer not being obvious, i.e. being unobtrusive
- Big, loud DSLR's and big lenses are not the best tools. For a DSLR, the K-7 is a great street camera.
- SPEED is the big deal. Having the camera to your eye for a split second compared to a second can be a difference between a great candid and junk
- Shooting from the hip is not my preference
- The moment matters. Just being a candid doesn't make a shot good.
- Geometry/composition still matters
- Speed also means knowing all your settings and not looking at your camera much or fiddling around
- Try finding an interesting scene and waiting for someone interesting or someone to do something interesting in it. Or try the opposite, looking for snatched moments without forethought.
- Do whatever works for you

Last edited by CWyatt; 07-12-2010 at 08:56 PM.