Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2010, 04:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax warranty service in Europe

I bought my Pentax AF540 flash, with a 12-month International Warranty, while on a trip to Singapore. When the flash failed after six months, I took it to the Pentax agent in Portugal (Beltrao Coelho), who verified the warranty and accepted the unit for repair.

I was told by BC that they are required to send the unit to Pentax, Germany, rather than repair it themselves.

More than three months later, my flash came back. Took it home, and guess what? The thing wouldn't even turn on! It was worse than when I submitted it for repair.

So, BC sent it to Germany again, along with an email explaining the situation and suggesting prompt rectification of the matter.

It is now four weeks, and still no word. Am I to believe this turnaround is normal?

Just to be clear, I'd like to emphasize that Beltrao Coelho have been very pleasant to deal with, and I am totally convinced that they have been prompt in sending the flash to Germany and informing me upon its return. I have no complaints about BC.

07-16-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That's lame service in anyone's books.

After sales service is one of the major things holding Pentax back from picking up more pro shooters, in my opinion.
07-18-2010, 04:02 AM   #3
bxf
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
That's lame service in anyone's books.

After sales service is one of the major things holding Pentax back from picking up more pro shooters, in my opinion.
Well, getting a bit off topic, this comment reminds me of Herb Keppler's writings a long time ago, where he pointed out that Nikon was the pros' choice NOT because others were not good enough, but rather because Nikon provided special service for pros, including loan equipment in emergencies, etc.

In any event, there's a wide gap between a pro's needs and mine, but i think that almost four and a half months (and still counting) is ridiculous.
07-18-2010, 04:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Service is certainly a downfall in may regions. I think the USA guys are pretty happy but the rest of us don't get much help. But even in the US, they are slower than the big 2. It's partly the gamble we all pay for lower cost bodies (compare the D300s to a K-7 even at the launch prices). Also becuase we've bought into a much smaller company that due to economies of scale have a much smaller service department.

No excuse though. If they couldn't get it repaired in 4 weeks, they should have replaced it with a working refurb at a minimum. More than 4 weeks is completely unacceptable for even a hobby shooter.

07-19-2010, 12:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I was told by BC that they are required to send the unit to Pentax, Germany, rather than repair it themselves.
It is now four weeks, and still no word. Am I to believe this turnaround is normal?
Is the service center still in Germany? I've heard something like it was moved to France...?
Anyways, Pentax warranty service in Europe is FUBAR, unfortunately.