Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Roadtrip/Family Reunion/Wedding/Hiking set-up...

Hey putting together my kit for this weekend… it is for:

A) 2 hikes (Johnson Canyon and other)
B) 2 family reunion days/nights (one Calgary one Banff)
C) 1 wedding (wedding, not principle, just the brother)
D) 18 hours of road trip fun/hell!!!(Tara is 5 months prego, so pee stops every 2 hours!)

I am thinking of taking the follow:

Tripod
Monopod hiking staff (Diamond Willow with quick release plate, light enough for hiking, strong enough for bear whacking(or throwing at the bear well I run away!))
Batteries (24 rechargables enerloop, should be overkill!)
540 flash with wireless tx/rx
KX w/remote with fisheye (d), 18-250 (a/b), 16-45(c)
MZ60 with 50mm f1.4 with BW 100 (c-events leading up to wedding), 200 colour slide (c - day), 1600 (c-dance/night), random colour 35mm for whatever
Ricoh 6x6 twin lens 120, 200 colour slide (a), 3200 at 400 BW (c-evening), 400 BW/CS2 (c-wedding/before wedding)
I have it all stashed in a great bag and I carry a hiking pack that can hold any two bodies 2/3 lens/accs and other stuff too.

I will also have my wife’s P&S(12mp) and my cell(5mp) (both of which take ok photos)

Photos I know I need to take will be 2 large family photos (25+ ppl), 5 family portraits (2-6 ppl). Which can be of ok quality online and small prints only. (I’ll only have one 540 to hope to add lighting… which is likely way too little!)

Plus I am hoping for just 1 GREAT photo that I can frame that for my sister and blow-up for a Christmas gift… I am thinking of something that reminds them of their wedding without something obvious like them dancing… I’ll leave that to the pro…

Thought? Opinion? Yes it is a lot, but since Tara is prego I am not drinking, golfing or doing other time consuming things… so annoying hobbyist photog it is!

07-22-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

My only comment is that loading your FF/135 MZ60 with a 50mm is rather a waste of its talents. What can FF do that HF/APS-C can't? WIDE!! If I'm carrying both film and digital cams, I'll probably have the 18-250 on the K20D, and a Zenitar 16/2.8 or Lentar-Tokina 21/3.8 or some 24mm on the ZX-M. In my pockets are also a Canon ss80u 38-80 (FF/135) and a 5mpx Sony DSC-V1 4x NightShot, my fave film and digital P&S's. And maybe a 6x6 or 6x9 folder. But my ZX-M rarely wears anything longer than 28mm any more. Why waste 135 film on normality?
07-22-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I xproc my 35mm for artsy looks... but with that I mind I packed my quick 28mm... see what comes I guess... thanks for the thoughts...
07-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

When we went to Big Bend in May, I carried a dozen lenses, two flash units and a tripod. I ended up shooting 90% of my shots with the Sigma 17-70 HSM OS I had just purchased, maybe because it was the "new toy", but more likely because it fit the need for most of my shots. Still....if I was packing again, I would take all I could carry...you just feel better knowing you have covered all the bases to the best of your ability.
Best Regards& Good Luck on the trip!