Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2007, 04:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

almost there... first commercial shoot!

First off, I apologize for not being around much - it's been really busy with shoots, my regular day job, etc.... sorry...

This part is not the shoot itself, but the meeting about the details for the first of possibly several shoots... I had the first meeting today about doing the marketing images for not 1, but possibly 2 companies. The first company is in the Fortune 1000 (ranks in the top 600), and the second is a Fortune 500 company (ranks in the top 180).

If all goes according to plan (the interested parties are on the same page, etc.) I'll be flown to Dallas in September to shoot Friday--> Saturday. Obviously I cannot disclose everything until later, but part of the agreement is that I retain control of the original images, including copyrights. They get unlimited image usage AND I also get image credits, etc. for the marketing literature, training manuals, posters, any presentations, etc. These images will be seen by high profile companies, including the second one. This includes shareholder meetings, promotional materials, etc.

On a side note, the management person I spoke with suggested that I might help out doing certain images for their internal magazine. That was unsolicited too!

If the first shoot goes well, then I have the opportunity to go one further and I'll be flown to Los Angeles, CA to do another shoot of even larger subjects... That being said, if all goes well, my portfolio will be expanded quite nicely afterwards, and it's my hope that this bodes well for the future.

Regards,
Marc

08-17-2007, 04:55 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Marc,
Congratulations! I am very excited and happy for you. I think this does indeed bode well for your future as a professional photographer.
How did you make these contacts or find out about these companies photography needs?

Please keep up posted on everything.
08-17-2007, 05:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by Wethphotography Quote
Marc,
Congratulations! I am very excited and happy for you. I think this does indeed bode well for your future as a professional photographer.
How did you make these contacts or find out about these companies photography needs?

Please keep up posted on everything.
Thanks Erl!

Believe it or not, it was an unsolicited one by a Director in the pricing department of the first company. My exhibits, National Public Radio interview, etc. may have helped. He's seen my work and was very comfortable in asking me about doing this.

Of course, I'd like to divulge more, but cannot do that just yet - I really and sincerely would like to tell all, but I still need to confirm everything is a green light. I am going into restricted access areas to do the shoot(s).

The LA shoot is even more restricted because of involvement with international companies, and highly restricted access areas. Therefore more people are involved in the decision making and giving the green light to do the shoots. Even though the majority of the work is outdoors, and it's around potentially very dangerous working conditions if you are not alert, etc. because of all the heavy machinery - there that's the only clue I can give you... (No it's not hazmat, or top secret stuff or anything like that!)

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 08-17-2007 at 08:09 PM. Reason: typo
08-17-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Marc
Congrats on getting the commercial work. Thats where the money is. Anything with people generally pays more than wildlife shots (even though wildlife is more fun). My old stock agent told me one time--Shoot a great scene with wild flowers and mountains and I can sell it for you, but if you put a little blond headed girl in a pretty dress in the same scene and I'll sell it hundreds of times--
Hope have great success with the shoot. Regards, Kent

08-17-2007, 11:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done that man, good luck - I did get to sign that cap you sent me didn't I?

Damn!
08-18-2007, 09:17 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kent vinyard Quote
Marc
Congrats on getting the commercial work. Thats where the money is. Anything with people generally pays more than wildlife shots (even though wildlife is more fun). My old stock agent told me one time--Shoot a great scene with wild flowers and mountains and I can sell it for you, but if you put a little blond headed girl in a pretty dress in the same scene and I'll sell it hundreds of times--
Hope have great success with the shoot. Regards, Kent
Thank you Kent! I agree with you - I came to a point in my photography where I had to decide what defines me. I also wanted to broaden the scope of my work, but wasn't sure what/where to pursue this, so it was a lot of soul-searching to do that. Was I compromising my artistic side for recognition and money? After much deliberation, I knew that I was not, and as you've so succinctly stated, it's one area where there is money.

I still love macro and wildlife photography, no question!

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Well done that man, good luck - I did get to sign that cap you sent me didn't I?

Damn!
Actually it's signed in black ink, so you can go incognito...

Seriously, thank you.
08-18-2007, 09:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I took a little peek at your website, and I really want to check out the Buffalo River !!!

08-18-2007, 11:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Marc,
I know exactaly what you went trough with the soul searching. I wanted to be a wildlife purist when I first started out 25 years ago. After a few years it began to sink in that I would need to expand my craft or go back to work full time to support my family. My wife has always been very supportive, so I began to do other things in photography. It has allowed me to still do a lot of wildlife photography and yet make extra money in the off seasons.

Hang in there! Kent
08-18-2007, 01:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
congrats Marc! Sounds like you're well on your way to fulfilling a dream I'm sure many of us share!

Hope you knock their socks off with your photos, I know you amaze us here often enough, it's about time you started getting some good money for it.
08-19-2007, 09:17 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kent vinyard Quote
Marc,
I know exactaly what you went trough with the soul searching. I wanted to be a wildlife purist when I first started out 25 years ago. After a few years it began to sink in that I would need to expand my craft or go back to work full time to support my family. My wife has always been very supportive, so I began to do other things in photography. It has allowed me to still do a lot of wildlife photography and yet make extra money in the off seasons.

Hang in there! Kent
A sincere thank you Kent! The nice part is that I have an excellent day job in IT, with lots of flexibility for taking time off. I have 3 weeks paid, and can take another 4 weeks unpaid. I am sure you can see the benefit of those extra 4 weeks off to do photography and build my portfolio...

I am patient, and will hang tough.

Regards,
Marc
08-19-2007, 09:21 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks Dan

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
congrats Marc! Sounds like you're well on your way to fulfilling a dream I'm sure many of us share!

Hope you knock their socks off with your photos, I know you amaze us here often enough, it's about time you started getting some good money for it.
I appreciate your kind comments and your vote of confidence!

Perhaps some day instead of living vicariously through someone else, I'll be able to fulfill my dreams. I do have plans, and am willing to go slowly.

The nice part is that this job is similar in concept to landscape photography, so my comfort levels are very good for this shoot, no question there.

Cheers,
Marc
08-21-2007, 03:51 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
it's official - flight is booked for Sept. 7th!

new post made, since it's no longer "almost there"...