Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Seems to me it's the human data processor which is the impressive component.

02-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
What we need are better eyeballs. Human eyes petty much suck, compared to others that have evolved. And mine are delaminating. I'll take Geordie LaForge's visor, thanks.
Yeah there are some better eyes out there, but it's form meets function. Humans actually have exceptional visual acuity compared to many animals, as do most primates, blind spot be damned. Sure there's better out there, but evolution is only going to produce something as good as it needs to be, and we don't fly 1km above the earth looking for field mice, so there are limitations there.

Longevity of vision is something else entirely: progressive degeneration of eyesight is only allowed to occur because it generally doesn't prevent one from passing on his genes if it happens late enough in life. C'est la vie.

No one here should poo-poo on the human eye-brain combo. That thing in your head can patch together a fully functional, stereoscopic image from partially obstructed images entering each of your eyes in scenes of extreme dynamic range as though it were a laughable joke. Your brain is able to filter out enormous reams of irrelevant information, highlighting edges, boundaries, moving objects, etc. It's not just stupidly absorbing light and showing you an image full of equally prioritized 'pixels'.

Also, it may be easy to criticize the rather narrow circle of high visual acuity at the center of your field of vision, but there are a couple critical things to think about here: if you could see everything in your FOV with that level of clarity, it would be information overload. Also, that leaves the periphery full of rod cells, which are enormously sensitive to low light and allow instant recognition of moving objects -- something a camera would struggle with.

Did I mention how fast your eyes' autofocus is?

Don't poo-poo on human vision.

[edit] Btw, RioRico - you ever see the episode early on where they show you things through Geordie's vision and he's following a path of neutrinos Picard is shooting down to the planet he's stranded on? Trippy shit! Not sure I want that vision.
02-22-2011, 09:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Don't poo-poo on human vision.
I shat not on the visual system, just the input devices. Many creatures have extremely good visual processors, making up for just-barely-good-enough eyes. But for instance, I've read that canines have about double the frame rate of humans. So it's not that dogs have keener vision, just faster processing. I wouldn't mind that. I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more into the UV and IR ends of the spectrum, either. Oh yeah, and X-ray vision. [/me leers]

QuoteQuote:
Btw, RioRico - you ever see the episode early on where they show you things through Geordie's vision
I don't remember that one. But I usually watched TNG and DS9 as after-work dinner shows with a few glasses of wine etc, so some of the details are a bit fuzzy, eh?
02-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I shat not on the visual system, just the input devices. Many creatures have extremely good visual processors, making up for just-barely-good-enough eyes. But for instance, I've read that canines have about double the frame rate of humans. So it's not that dogs have keener vision, just faster processing. I wouldn't mind that. I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more into the UV and IR ends of the spectrum, either. Oh yeah, and X-ray vision. [/me leers]

I don't remember that one. But I usually watched TNG and DS9 as after-work dinner shows with a few glasses of wine etc, so some of the details are a bit fuzzy, eh?
I've always been told that dogs actually have pretty bad vision compared to humans. Our visual acuity is way higher and our color perception far more sophisticated. That in dogs, a much larger percent of their brain is devoted to processing smell.

02-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
I've always been told that dogs actually have pretty bad vision compared to humans. Our visual acuity is way higher and our color perception far more sophisticated. That in dogs, a much larger percent of their brain is devoted to processing smell.
I believe he said the frame rate was faster, not that the quality was better. Theres a big difference.
02-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
I believe he said the frame rate was faster, not that the quality was better. Theres a big difference.
Yeah, what I said!

When a frisbee-catching dog makes an amazing and accurate leap, they don't need resolution or acuity, just the ability to track the moving object very quickly. So we mere humanoids, moving at mere mortal humanoid speed, must seem like we're in slow-motion. Imagine that something is moving at half-speed -- it'll be pretty easy to catch, hey?
02-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Yeah, what I said!

When a frisbee-catching dog makes an amazing and accurate leap, they don't need resolution or acuity, just the ability to track the moving object very quickly. So we mere humanoids, moving at mere mortal humanoid speed, must seem like we're in slow-motion. Imagine that something is moving at half-speed -- it'll be pretty easy to catch, hey?
I'll buy into that; I guess I misinterpreted what you said.

Lots of different ways to acquire, process, and use information I suppose!

02-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #23
Inactive Account

human eyes is not the best..there are a lot of other creatures with better sight than human..

there are creatures with night vision sight..human? no no no

dont make any statement without knowing the fact..
03-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
I just love when people quote random sites for proving their point.

Thruth is, the human eye is a relatively poor sensor, with a hole just in the center, a high resolution very limited region (the macula) and a periphecal region with much much lower resolution and color sensitivity.

The human is doing a fantastic job at stiching all the data the eye gather and making of it a consistent mental image (with no hole in it)

This is correct. It is good at working with only a few photons, but it is mostly smart signal processing not 500 MP etc. ha. Mine color array only has blue and green too... (red-green color blind) and it doesn't focus correctly beyond 3 feet.
03-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by v3t0 Quote
human eyes is not the best..there are a lot of other creatures with better sight than human..

there are creatures with night vision sight..human? no no no

dont make any statement without knowing the fact..
Human's can detect down to a few photons... FWIW.
03-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drwho9437 Quote
Human's can detect down to a few photons... FWIW.
You may be able to detect a few photons, but that isn't enough to resolve an image. Nightvision is seeing in other wavelengths that are more readily available in darkness.