Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2010, 04:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2 Photographer's arrested while shooting photos of Astor Estate gate

Photographers arrested near Chelsea's rumored wedding site - The Daily Freeman News: Serving the Hudson Valley since 1871(DailyFreeman.com)

The 2 Norwegians were arrested while taking photos of the gate of the Astor Estate where Chelsea Clinton is rumored to be getting married soon.

Evidently the police claim they were trespassing while the photographers claim they were on public property.

I'm not taking sides either way since there are no real details available at this time, but just bringing the occurance to the attention of the forum.

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 07-23-2010 at 07:58 AM.
07-23-2010, 05:45 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

I'm pretty sure it's common knowledge she was getting married there next Saturday, not a rumor.
07-23-2010, 06:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Another case of where we only have part of the story. Might be an unjustified and outrageous arrest...or might be that it was fully justified. I've noticed that the "whole truth" is becoming difficult to obtain....you noticed that too?
Best Regards!
07-23-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Another case of where we only have part of the story. Might be an unjustified and outrageous arrest...or might be that it was fully justified. I've noticed that the "whole truth" is becoming difficult to obtain....you noticed that too?
Best Regards!
As I said... I'm not making a judgement at this time because there is little if any actual evidence either way... just pointing out the situation. The photos they have (if not deleted either by themselves or by the police) and the exif (focal length primarily) should provide ample evidence of their actual location and should be able to prove the case either way.

Could be an interesting forensic exercise...

Mike

07-23-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can understand why they want the area to be secure.
07-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
I can understand why they want the area to be secure.
Indeed. If the area was not trespass then someone was not doing their homework. If I was planning a wedding for someone that famous I would plan it with the thought that people will be using 800mm lenses on 20MP bodies to get their shots.

Either way - the only thing apparent here is that someone screwed up and we don't know who.
07-23-2010, 11:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

oh well

I never cared for the girl anyway

07-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My first wedding was in the minister's chambers of a prominent church. Nobody attended.
My second wedding was in a rural front yard with many attendees, but I'm not famous. Yet.
My daughter's wedding was a formal masque in a gothic hall on Hallowe'en. Secure enough.
I should mention that more than a few cutting-edge and celebrity chefs were involved there.

If I were planning Chelsea Clinton's wedding, I'd consider several approaches:

* A small private ceremony; a big celebration party later, when it's too late for bothersome paparazzi invasions.
* A big wedding party on a small island within a large private lake, with barrage balloons to discourage intruding aircraft.
* Inside a large (well-lit) cavern. Perfect security, and nice reverberations for the music (provided by Lada Gaga).
* If it's to be a BIG party, rent the Vehicle Assembly Building at Cape Canaveral. Just don't hire Blackwater security.
* Bugger all that -- just elope and get it over with.
07-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I'm familiar with the area as my wife was born and raised in Rhinebeck. The Astor estate is well known and probably photographed a lot. It is a very rural area with narrow country roads. It isn't like being on a city street with sidewalks. I believe the road that goes by is a county road but I'm not sure if the estate gates are on the road or up a private road on the property. There are more than one building on the property and some have been leased as a school and as a handicapped home in the past. They may have been on private property. I'm sure security is very tight with a former President and a Sec. of State's family having a wedding there. They are probably being very strict about tresspassing.
07-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If they wanted privacy, they could have done like JFK, Jr. did and get married on Cumberland Island. That's easy to set up for privacy and security. That family blew in and out of this small community so fast, they were gone before the rumors started. LOL!
07-23-2010, 06:31 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I just asked my wife. The Estate gates are on River Rd, which is a public Dutchess County road. If the photographers were shooting from the road, they were on public property.

Rhinebeck is a pretty small place. The only time it gets busy is County Fair week in August. My Mother in Law says it's busier than fair week.