Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2010, 07:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Weston Meter Batteries

I like the looks of the old Weston meters and I've read they are good for non-digital meters. There are tons of them out there, still working, that are dirt cheap, but I am wondering if there are modern batteries for these and which one might be my best option? I'm seeing a lot of Weston II's in particular for like $5-10, but I'm hesitating because of not knowing the battery situation with these. I would like a hand held light meter though at some point. Suggestions and info? Thanks!

07-23-2010, 07:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most of the old meters don't take batteries. The sensor is photoconductive and moves the needle based on how much light it can see.

Weston Exposure meter manual, Bolexmeter, model 715, weston illumination meter model 756, Weston model 819, weston ranger 9, Weston 650, Weston / Sangamo film and plate ratings, Weston photographic productd, user manual, free instruction manual, pdf
07-23-2010, 07:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Awesome. I was afraid if I got one I wouldn't be able to use it. Now all I have to do is decide which Weston I want. I'm seeing lots of 2,3,4 models and I'm trying to decide which.
07-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #4

Get as late a model as possible - ideally a V, and make sure it has the invercone for reading incident light. Getting the latest is important as the selenium photo cells don't last for ever and a II will be at least 50 years old. Be aware that they aren't the best at low light levels. That said, a good one is still a bargin.