Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster

08-28-2010, 12:51 AM   #32
emr

Very interesting pictures again, Lee. BTW, are there clear rules about what you can/may shoot and what not considering it's a military operation?
08-28-2010, 02:33 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
emr,

Yes, you cannot photograph active runways unless permission is granted. Landscapes of a base are not allowed. Soldiers are off limits if they are Rangers, SF or otherwise covert. Some FOBs I don't even mention or have any pictures of because of the nature of who works there.

Its basically common sense. If I think I could use it against myself if I were an enemy I don't post it. Equipment I try to stay out of the interior or details like instruments of equipment inside. Outside of vehicles the Afghans see as they drive around out there.

I work with a UAV that I photograph but only what has been released and in the brochure online. Actual systems used to fly it I won't put photo's up.

I was a soldier at one time like many and would not want to give information away that could harm someone. With the ease of information flow today it's amazing what actually gets leaked out to public sources like youtube etc.

Incidentally I had the most exciting day of my life starting at 4am and didn't even think to grab the camera as I was more worried about staying alive. BBC has coverage as well as other news outlets. Being unarmed is NOT fun.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11118459

The report leaves out all details that I have access to. We are very lucky. I had a firefight that stopped multiple suicide bombers within 100 meters of my location. A bunch of incoming. And we were shooting more than I have seen to date to repel the attack with attack aviation directly overhead firing, outgoing mortars and mark 19 automatic grenade launchers along with plenty of small arms.

Last edited by LeeRunge; 08-28-2010 at 02:42 AM.
08-30-2010, 08:44 PM   #34
Forum Member

Scary! Glad you're okay, Lee.

I love the flower photo followed by the dry, cracked earth... quite a study in contrasts. Keep 'em coming!

09-16-2010, 10:56 PM   #35
Forum Member

This was an astounding thread- thank you for sharing, Sir. As a veteran- I've been to Afghanistan, but as a troop...I wonder what it would be like unarmed- probably hate it!
09-18-2010, 12:49 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Glad you are safe, Lee. I would be wanting something other than my camera to shoot during something like that. Wonderful shots, as always. Not sure why, but the wheelbarrow one seems to have a desolate feel to it. Kind of like everybody ran away in the middle of something and never came back.
09-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
great thread, glad your safe. now back to business.

nee ee eed tooooo see ee ee ee porcupine!

10-04-2010, 01:54 AM   #38

Photos: Albums
Great shots, brought back some memories. I have two tours over there. And a lot of pics thats not processed. Meyhmane hadent changed much... :-)

Stay safe and CYA...