Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2007, 06:40 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just like Will said,

I'm a Pentaxian for a reason, that reason was that at the time i bought my k100d, it was the best that i could afford with my budget, after buying the camera i found that all those old lenses where a good option for someone with a tight budget.

So as long as this material suits my needs i'll be a Pentaxian, in a few years, with all the evolution, i'll see if Pentax still has arguments to keep me as Pentaxian or not.

But for now, i'll stick with Pentax for two reasons:
1 - I like my gear a lllooott
2 - I don't have money to spend on other cameras

Don't ask what you can do for your camera, ask what your camera can do for you

08-21-2007, 07:19 AM   #17

First of all I would like to point GaryML to this site. Pentax is not the first, nor the last to set up a community, because they need to keep the customer loyal to the brand.
It will be a place where you can exchange thoughts, tips, trick etc about your Pentax equipment. If you ever switch to Nikon you will probably go ahead and be a part of Nikonians.com.
08-21-2007, 07:41 AM   #18
clm

That site does not seem to be owned by Nikon.
08-21-2007, 07:50 AM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
The community and its sites are owned by Bo Stahlbrandt and José Ramón Palacios. Both of us are Nikonians, that is, we believe in Nikon technology and we use Nikon imaging equipment extensively. These sites are not related or affiliated in any way to Nikon Corporation nor to any of its subsidiaries and/or affiliates.
That site is not owned or affiliated with Nikon.

08-21-2007, 08:37 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Customer Loyalty (Somewhat OT)

QuoteOriginally posted by aabram Quote
While I'm somewhat indifferent to "being Pentaxian", I do understand brand loyalty. I, for example, am pretty much Thinkpadista. I've own a number of those and my next laptop would most probably be a Thinkpad too. Why? Don't all laptops work for designed purpose? Don't they all do the job? Yes, they do. But Thinkpads have that unexaplainable feel that you either get and love or not. The finish, the ergonomics, all things that matter to me, are taken care of. Other brands may click for other types of people, but not for me. Yet I don't my days drooling over Thinkpads, I do my job as you do. It's just that I happen to love my tools. Which happen to be of certain brand. Which appeals me so much that I'm likely not to switch. So what's the problem?

I'm sure we're all at some point experienced something similar. I stay for few brand shoes that I know will fit me. Others may be good and they can do the job, but the feel just isn't there. Not everyone gets it and not everyone gets it for same things. Can't blame people wanting to share it.
I've owned 4 ThinkPads and rely on them for my computing needs. This message is being typed on my ThinkPad T42 which has served me well for over 2 years. I used IBM's OS/2 operating system for many years as it was superior to anything else on the market. I've always recommended IBM brand systems to those who ask me for recommendations. I've had mostly outstanding service when repairs were needed (2-3 day turn-around including shipping time).

So what was the result of my brand loyalty to IBM? IBM dropped development of OS/2 and it has all but disappeared. IBM sold their PC and ThinkPad lines to Lenovo about 2 years ago. (Lenovo is a Chinese comapny partly owned by the Chinese government, as I recall.) Will the ThinkPad products maintain the same quality and level of support? I don't know. I will consider a Lenovo ThinkPad when I buy a new computer in a year or two, but if Lenovo is not offering the quality of products and service then I will look elsewhere.

I've always bought New Balance shoes because I have bad feet and they offer the best comfort and fit. They are also one of the few shoes made in the U.S. rather than China. But now most of the lower end New Balance are made in China. I can (and do) still get the U.S. made high-end New Balance, but that could disappear in the future.

My point: There may have been a time when brand loyalty meant that you could get the same reliable products year after year. IBM or Ford or whoever would keep churning out the same stuff as long as consumers kept buying it. But now, with the globalization of companies, mergers and acquisitions, leveraged buy-outs, etc., you can't expect any continuity from any manufacturer. The loyal IBM customer can't buy a ThinkPad from IBM any longer because IBM decided that it could invest its capital in some other market and make more money. So they dump their business and the loyal customer is told that IBM can't be bothered any more with the marginally profitable business that they built the company on. The customer's brand loyalty is rewarded with the door slammed in his face.
08-21-2007, 08:58 AM   #21
Inactive Account

When I bought my latest laptop a year and a half ago, I was seriously thinking about getting a ThinkPad. My father has one, and it is built like a tank.

The Lenovo ones are not built to the same exacting standards as the older IBM ones. In fact, I found them to be quite cheap feeling. I didn't buy one after I found I could flex the keyboard portion quite a bit corner to opposite corner.

Sorry for getting a little off topic here.

I have always liked Pentax. It still didn't stop me from going to Canon when I couldn't find a Pentax because they came late to the table.

I am rooting for the brand though. I seriously hope they fix their current lack of large focal length lenses.
08-21-2007, 10:49 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gary... If you think Pentax is over the top for wanting to build a brand/club/community you should check out HOG. The Harley Owner's Group makes Pentaxian look like tinker toys.

1. You have to own a Harley to join but they charge you yearly dues for the priviledge.
2. Some (not all) of the chapters have rallies where non-HD bikes are NOT welcome.
3. Even if you buy a life membership, you can be kicked out if you ever switch to another brand (happened to a lady in Manassas, VA)
4. Chapters are sponsored/sanctioned by dealerships, not individual owners.
5. HD trademarked the term HOG to prevent individual owners from forming non-affiliated ownership groups.
6. and probably a dozen other things I've missed...

Do all of these points make HOG a bad thing. Not really. HOG is simply Harley Davidson's way of making their owners feel like part of the club. Brand loyalty is a powerful force which only a totally stupid company would ignore or worse, squander.

So, am I a Pentaxian? Yes! But you don't have to be if you don't want to. Nor should you decry those of us who chose to be. or the company who provides the products.

08-21-2007, 10:58 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Gary... If you think Pentax is over the top for wanting to build a brand/club/community you should check out HOG. The Harley Owner's Group makes Pentaxian look like tinker toys.

Mike,

Well, I have to give Harley Davidson credit for one thing: HOG is a great acronym! "Pentaxian" on the other hand sounds like the name for some aliens from the planet Pentax in the galaxy Xenon 47.

Will

PS I don't know much -- okay, I don't know anything at all -- about motorcycles, but I will say that it's my impression that, at least down here in Texas, Harley Davidson doesn't have any competition at all, at least not in its weight class.
08-21-2007, 11:27 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Mike,

Well, I have to give Harley Davidson credit for one thing: HOG is a great acronym! "Pentaxian" on the other hand sounds like the name for some aliens from the planet Pentax in the galaxy Xenon 47.

Will

I'll admit "Pentaxian" is sorta weird but it could be worse... Pentax could follow the Harley model and we'd all be members of POG (Pentax Owners Group) or even worse, PUG (Pentax Users Group)...

I guess that'd make Canoniers, COGs and Nikonians, NOGs... LOL
08-21-2007, 01:05 PM   #25

im a (teapot?)

Sticks and stones will break my bones........

I'm a pentaxforumian.

I must point out that while you visit this site you are some form of pentaxian.

Whether Pentax's idea of a pentax brand user and no other, or a temporary pentaxian till something else comes along, or just somebody poking their nose into matters which don't concern them.................. We know who you are!!!!
08-21-2007, 04:08 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote

1. You have to own a Harley to join but they charge you yearly dues for the priviledge.
2. Some (not all) of the chapters have rallies where non-HD bikes are NOT welcome.
3. Even if you buy a life membership, you can be kicked out if you ever switch to another brand (happened to a lady in Manassas, VA)
4. Chapters are sponsored/sanctioned by dealerships, not individual owners.
5. HD trademarked the term HOG to prevent individual owners from forming non-affiliated ownership groups.
6. and probably a dozen other things I've missed...

Do all of these points make HOG a bad thing. Not really. HOG is simply Harley Davidson's way of making their owners feel like part of the club. Brand loyalty is a powerful force which only a totally stupid company would ignore or worse, squander.

So, am I a Pentaxian? Yes! But you don't have to be if you don't want to. Nor should you decry those of us who chose to be. or the company who provides the products.
Amen, Mike.

Me, I HAVE to be a Pentaxian, since I'm not a working photographer who could justify the cost of switching from brand to brand easily. As well, I'm really happy with my first experience with Pentax, and I'm hoping they continue the good vibes they created in me (as well as other newbies and old-timers).

As a side note, that HOG is one exclusive club!

And no, please don't even consider PUG.
08-21-2007, 04:24 PM   #27
Inactive Account

I wish they would spend the money on product development and competitive pricing - maybe then they would have more "Pentaxians" to speak of.... and more money to waste on gimmicky websites!
08-21-2007, 04:26 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote

And no, please don't even consider PUG.
Well, other options could be:

PIG: Pentax Interest Group

PONG: Pentax Owners News Group

and

PUKE: Pentax Users Knowledge Exchange
08-21-2007, 06:05 PM   #29
Pentaxian

PHUK: Pentax Hysterical Users Group
08-22-2007, 11:41 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelpruner Quote
I wish they would spend the money on product development and competitive pricing - maybe then they would have more "Pentaxians" to speak of.... and more money to waste on gimmicky websites!

I just don't understand this seemingly widespread opinion that a website like Pentaxian.com is going to somehow negatively impact product development, pricing, or whatever. The K10D has won international awards for technical achievement and is priced well under other cameras with similar features. So obviously Pentax has been producing advanced products at competitive prices. Now someone please explain how a website is going change that?

As for the money, the Pentaxian.com website is being financed by the marketing budget of Pentax USA, not the research and development budget of Pentax Japan. This money has already been allocated for that purpose and remains the same whether Pentax USA used it for a website or t-shirt & ink pen handouts at stores. I think a website serves far more people than a few handouts here and there at random stores. Further, financing a website such as Pentaxian.com is relatively trivial for a company as large as Pentax USA (oversight by a couple of existing employees, some software, and space on the existing server). In other words, the money argument just doesn't add up.

stewart