Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2007, 11:59 AM   #31
Inactive Account

well... except that Pentax's money is still Pentax's money, but point taken.

the pricing thing was NOT a reference to the bodies, more to lens prices (or lack of cheaper/older lens options still in production), but also to the distinct difference in pricing between europe/australia and US/japan.

It's just that for me, Pentax need to be improving their appeal, product range (NOT quality), pricing (in EU) and so expanding their consumer base and profits. To me this "Pentaxians" website comes accross as very self indulgent and makes it seem like an exclusive club. IMO if i had not yet bought a Pentax and I saw that site it would put me off... a bit.

Still I concede Stewart: you make a good point.

08-22-2007, 04:53 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
I just don't understand this seemingly widespread opinion that a website like Pentaxian.com is going to somehow negatively impact product development, pricing, or whatever. The K10D has won international awards for technical achievement and is priced well under other cameras with similar features. So obviously Pentax has been producing advanced products at competitive prices. Now someone please explain how a website is going change that?
I didn't claim that pentaxian.com was going to affect R&D or anything else. Obviously, the product is what it is regardless of the ad campaign.

Certainly Pentax is not the only company with this marketing strategy that you are a better person because you buy the product. Everything from sugar water, soap, food, cars and garments are marketed this way. "The most discerning motorists drive the Mercedes-Benz S class." "Choosy mothers choose Jif." So the message is that if you buy the right brand of car, peanut butter, or camera, you are a smarter motorist, better mother, or better photographer. I find this marketing strategy that your personal self-image and personal worth is a function of the mass-produced stuff you buy to be offensive.

I don't view myself as the sum of the stuff I buy. I am not a better or smarter person because I buy a given brand of camera, automobile or computer. I am not a better person than a Nikon owner because I'm a "Pentaxian" and he is a "Nikonian." I'm happy to share information about what I use and why. In fact, I think Pentax makes a good product which is why I keep using it, and why I've bought a bunch of Pentax stuff over the past 18 months. I just don't like the "Pentaxian" ad campaign that promotes the concept that buying Pentax means you are smarter, more discerning, and a member of special club for buying Pentax.
08-22-2007, 05:25 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think its kinda neat...and I am not sure what all the fuss is about....but I would like to see more lenses...

Ever talk to bird photographers toting around their EOS1D's....talk about an exclusive club....
08-22-2007, 09:09 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I am only 50% Pentaxian : the other 50% is in the third party lenses

08-22-2007, 09:24 PM   #35

P.T.Barnum said it all:

"Bunkum"
08-23-2007, 12:39 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryML Quote
(snip) I just don't like the "Pentaxian" ad campaign that promotes the concept that buying Pentax means you are smarter, more discerning, and a member of special club for buying Pentax.

You're certainly right to say Pentax is not the only one using this type of advertising. Nikon has it's "does anything strike fear into the heart of a Nikon pro" print ads, Hasselblad has it's ongoing "how do you know it's a Hasselblad - because the best trust nothing less" print ads, and Canon has just too many ads to quote showing Canon users as superior in some manner. According to just the first two alone, none can match the courage of Nikon users and all not using Hasselblad are riffraff. I guess that would make Nikon users brave riffraff and Hasselblad users the best cowards.

Of course, only a darn fool would buy a camera based on such nonsense - and, while there are certainly enough to go around, not everyone is a darn fool.

stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 08-23-2007 at 01:21 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes
08-23-2007, 12:47 AM   #37
PDL
Pentaxian

I repeat my earlier statement.

If you don't want to be associated with the site - do not join it - and move on.

PDL

08-23-2007, 03:57 PM   #38
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Canon has just too many ads to quote showing Canon users as superior in some manner. According to just the first two alone, none can match the courage of Nikon users and all not using Hasselblad are riffraff. I guess that would make Nikon users brave riffraff and Hasselblad users the best cowards.
The Canon ads tout the fact that you can "use the cameras that the pros use." I doubt if very many pros are using a Rebel XT with the kit lenses.

I certainly feel like a coward, riff-raft, and an amateur using a Pentax camera. Too bad there isn't a club I can join to make me feel better. But wait, coming September 7, there is a club I can join ... !
08-25-2007, 04:08 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GaryML Quote
... I certainly feel like a coward, riff-raft, and an amateur using a Pentax camera. ...
If a person's identification and dissatisfaction with the camera and their perception of other people sneering at them in pity is that strong then they need to switch to Canon. It won't make them a better photographer but it may let them sleep better at night.
08-27-2007, 07:53 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
and I got my t-shirt this past Saturday.... from a pro camera store where at least half of the staff has switched to K10Ds (from Canon and Nikon) in the last 6 months or so...
09-08-2007, 11:49 AM   #41

Am I a Pentaxian?

Am I a Pentaxian? Well I don't rightly know. I own Pentax gear, and have for a very long time. But since my old SV screw mount SLR purchase in the early 1960s I have owned quite a few other brands, but came back to Pentax for the K10.

Soooo.

Anyway, I am a Pentaxian in this sense.

I like the idea of a small quality company making as good, and or, better products for less money, to be competitive with the Big Two! It is just healthier for the serious camera buying public, of which I consider myself a small part.

So lets just call it "Enlightened Self Interest", for lack of a better name.