Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2010, 12:53 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Zealand trip- Looking for ways to keep my gear safe and dry

I'm going to be in New Zealand towards the end of September and into October, and will be doing a lot of hiking. Some areas of the South Island are extremely wet and rainy all year around, so I'm a bit nervous about taking my K200D out in potential downpour conditions. I'm leaning towards buying a Optio W60 or the Panasonic Ts1 so I have a waterproof camera as a backup, but of course want the DSLR option as well.

Would you leave the K200D behind in areas you know are wet, and just go with the waterproof P&S? Or would you bring a waterproof bag and if so, any suggestions for rain gear that would protect a Lowepro Sling bag (what I'd use to carry my gear)?

08-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think there is any problem using your camera coupled with a weather-resistant lens in nasty conditions. In a light drizzle I would hesitate to use it with a non weather-resistant lens. I bought the K200D with that in mind and I do use a waterproof bag. The most simple solution to 'waterproofing' your bag is using a sturdy plastic bag in your Sling bag. But for long trips that isn't ideal.

Last edited by Fries; 08-02-2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: refrasing
08-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #3

Original Poster
I know that the K200D is weather-resistant (one of the main reasons I bought it), but I'm talking about torrential downpour conditions. None of my lenses are weather resistant, unfortunately, hence my concern. I guess putting it in a large ziploc would work, and then getting a rain cover for the sling bag. I was interested in some more elegant solutions, and something I can deploy quickly when the deluge begins.
08-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

In which parts of New Zealand will you hike? Some parts of NZ are very dry in Sept/October and I would not worry. In other parts, you will get some drizzle and rain. But the rainfall patterns in NZ is not tropical and you are not likely to have any torrential downpour. (In Northern Australia, yes. In NZ, no.)

Fries gave you a good tip. Get a couple of WR lenses for your K200D. Alternately, get some solid, sturdy primes that you can easily clean/wipe.

I have a K-7 and I take it outdoor anytime (incl. rain) with my DA18-250mm and Voigtlander 58mm. Neither lenses are WR but they are solid. With good care, they work fine in sub-tropical Queensland and they will do as well in NZ.

Enjoy the beautiful kiwi-land and post some shots.

08-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
I'm going to be doing the Milford Track, and I've read that area is one of the wettest areas on the planet. My wife did this hike a few years ago and she said she got completely soaked.

Buying all new lenses is not an option :-)

I'll post some shots after I get back..
08-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Milford Track can be very very wet. Be a shame not to have SLR quality shots though. Tough call. Maybe take both. If it's wet you may prefer the compact, if dry (and it can be dry too), you're set.
08-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
I'm going to be doing the Milford Track, and I've read that area is one of the wettest areas on the planet. My wife did this hike a few years ago and she said she got completely soaked.
Milford Sound track is indeed wet but this is not a tropical downpour. I agree with Arpe that it would be a pity not to have your dSLR because the place is awesome.

The Optio W60 is the simplest solution. However you could consider to take your K200d, and could invest in a simple plastic cover/bag. (There were a couple of threads on this topic in this forum a few months ago.)

Last edited by hcc; 08-02-2010 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Typos
08-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #8

I've done a fair amount of tramping (what I guess others call hiking) around NZ and the weather would never make me reconsider taking a camera (weatherproofed or not, I've a K-x).

To keep the camera itself dry, just get a dry sack, they sell them in a variety of sizes:
Altitude - Sea To Summit Dry Sack 4 Ltr

I've had my camera in one while kayaking, fell out and found the sack floating down the river with me. Opened it later and it was bone dry inside so I'd never worry about a bit of rain.

You can just get a pack cover to keep your bag dry while actually tramping.
Both these things are available at any outdoors store in NZ of which you'll find a lot of when you get here
08-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote

Buying all new lenses is not an option :-)

I'll post some shots after I get back..
Why not at least buy a WR Kit lens.

I have had the K20D in the rain with a DA* lens on it for 30 minutes of torrential rain. Absolutely fine, both the camera and lens.

I suppose your camera could have a bad seal, but assuming it doesn't you should be perfectly fine.

The WR kit lens can be had for under $150. Since the W90 cost more than that, I think it's a logical investment.

I also agree about well built lenses being fine in some mist and light rain. This is of course provided you wipe them down in the field, and then completely dry them later.
08-04-2010, 11:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Acrylic Quote
You can just get a pack cover to keep your bag dry while actually tramping.
Both these things are available at any outdoors store in NZ of which you'll find a lot of when you get here
I recommend an internal "waterproof liner" pack covers rip, they get saturated, they blow off in the wind.

Years ago I started using a "contractor" weight trash bag as a liner. These are big black 4mm thick bags. I gave some to friends who hike occassionally and they still have them 5 years later. A box of these cost $10 or something, but 15 bags should last a lifetime. I finally used mine up a decade later, and I gave many of them away!

Since then, I have moved on to a pack liner that has a "dry bag" like roll top closure. Essentially it is a lighter weight dry bag. They make them bigger but I have the 4000ci model ( think that is like 70L, could be wrong). it fits all of my gear on overnights, and all but my sleeping bag on longer hikes. The sleeping bag of course goes in an Outdoor Research Hydroseal stuff sack, again, with a roll top seal.

When hiking and I know it's going to rain more than be sunny, I carry a thin waterproof sack like the one mentioned above. If the weather gets really bad, I probably won't be shooting anyway, so i take the camera off my chest harness, and toss it in that bag and if I have room, the whole thing goes in my pack (this is why I love Pentax, because I usually have room to stuff a DSLR in my overstuffed pack!). It's completely weatherproof at this point.