Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flickr changes - WTF?

So I read a little about some changes that have happened to people on flickr, and yes I saw that "take me to the future" link that gave me a sneak peak. I always disable it though because I vastly prefered the normal version. So I checked my flickr and headed out to a concert today.... i get back and now everything has changed.

So a couple of questions:

1. How the hell do i post images on this forum using flickr now??? I found nothing in the FAQ page on flickr that was remotely useful.

2. Am I the only one that hates it???

08-03-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I didn't like it initially because it was harder to tag images... now they seem to have fixed it though, so I don't really mind the new flickr. What are you doing differently to post images? I always just used the image tags and pasted the static url.
08-03-2010, 11:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wshi Quote
I didn't like it initially because it was harder to tag images... now they seem to have fixed it though, so I don't really mind the new flickr. What are you doing differently to post images? I always just used the image tags and pasted the static url.
The only way I've ever known how to is click all sizes and choose which size I want. Than copy the URL at the bottom and add IMG tags around it.
08-03-2010, 11:58 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
1. How the hell do i post images on this forum using flickr now??? I found nothing in the FAQ page on flickr that was remotely useful.
Basically similar like before, but now you have to right click the Download link and save/copy the URL instead.

2. Am I the only one that hates it???
I hate it too, still prefer the old interface.

08-04-2010, 12:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sajah Quote
Basically similar like before, but now you have to right click the Download link and save/copy the URL instead.

I hate it too, still prefer the old interface.

How is it similar to before the update? I see no individual links for each size anywhere.
08-04-2010, 12:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Finally figured out how to do it... partially.

Click share this, grab the HTML, and copy ONLY the link in the SRC line. That will give you a medium size, and I cannot figure out how to get a bigger or smaller version to post. WTF FLICKR! YOU MADE SOMETHING EASY IMPOSSIBLE! YOU DO REALIZE A GIGANTIC PORTION OF YOUR MEMBERS NEED TO BE ABLE TO POST THEIR IMAGES TO FORUMS RIGHT?
08-04-2010, 12:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just realized there is a drop down box when clicking grab HTML for sizes. So all of this BS... for what?

Im sorry, but I don't think I should have to carefully grab a URL out of a block of text just to post an image! How could they possibly call this improved??? The only reason i use flickr is for posting on forums

08-04-2010, 12:37 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
- When viewing a single image, click (+) to go into Lightbox view (with black background)
- Click "View All sizes"
- Pick / Click any of the available size
- Right click the Download link, it changes as with the selected size, e.g. when you selected "Large size" then the download link is: "Download the Large size of this photo" and so on.
- I'm using Google Chrome so when I right click I get option to "Copy link address" which I can then paste in forums. I'm sure IE or Firefox have similar option.

EDIT: You found it! Yup, that's it. I felt the same way when I first found it. It's seems like they don't want us to post pictures on forums anymore..
08-04-2010, 02:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I just realized there is a drop down box when clicking grab HTML for sizes. So all of this BS... for what?

Im sorry, but I don't think I should have to carefully grab a URL out of a block of text just to post an image! How could they possibly call this improved??? The only reason i use flickr is for posting on forums
I was a little surprised by the changes too, but I've already gotten used to it. I think there is some misunderstanding here as to how simple it still is:

1. Go to your photostream/set/etc
2. Click on the photo you want
3. Right click on the photo, select one out of: "View available sizes: Medium 500 • Medium 640 • Large • Original"
4. Wait for selected image size to load, Right click, select "Copy Image Location" (firefox)

Paste the link into your post here (add IMG tags or whatever).
08-04-2010, 02:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I like it.
08-04-2010, 04:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Rabble rabble rabble change!
08-04-2010, 07:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok Sajah your method worked. Slightly better, thanks

Goddo that did not work for me.

JCT, im not surprised

Noah....indeed....

edit: Wait, what am I thinking?? I dont want people to be able to click on my image and download it! Thats the last thing I want, people using my images as their own. Guess I'll have to use my tedious method Sajah
08-04-2010, 08:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Noah....indeed....
I was being sarcastic. Anytime there is change it is usually followed by immediate aversion, at least until you regain your familiarity. Like everyone who hates it when Facebook redesigns their main-page. Did you notice that they hate it so much they can't even remember what the previous version was like?

The only reason i use flickr is for posting on forums
That's part of the problem. Flickr is a social network. If all you use it for is hosting, use a service more apt to do just that.
08-04-2010, 08:33 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know you were sarcastic....

and id say flickr is not, but rather an image hosting site. :ugh:

QuoteQuote:
Flickr - almost certainly the best online photo management and sharing application in the world

As far as im concerned, that means image hosting. Managing and sharing your photo's on a website built for photo's is not a social network.
08-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Here are some instructions posted by stevebrot in another thread. This method complies with Flickr's EULA. I'll copy it here for convenience:

To get the URL:

1. Click the "Share this" tab above the photo
2. Click the "Grab HTML" link
3. Choose the size you want to grab
4. Copy/paste the HTML code into the utility on this page and click "process" to convert to openforum code
5. Copy/paste the converted HTML into the message box here

This will result in a displayed image that links back to your Flickr image page (per Flickr usage agreement).