Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Why are aperture blades always black?

Is there a technical reason or is it just customary?

Making them colorful could give a camera more character.

Your beautiful eyes :: Photography Served

08-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Is there a technical reason or is it just customary?

Making them colorful could give a camera more character.

Your beautiful eyes :: Photography Served
they should be flat black to avoid reflection off th eblades reducing lens contrast or ghosting
08-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
they should be flat black to avoid reflection off th eblades reducing lens contrast or ghosting
Boom.
08-06-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I had a Kaleinar-3B 150mm f/2.8 Pentacon Six lens that had bright golden aperture blades. Was kind of a shock the first time I saw those.

08-06-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Lens manufacturers have shed loads of black paint, they use it everywhere else on the lenses, so it saves buying another colours.
08-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Golly gosh. Shouldn't photographers worry more about the quality of their photographs?
08-07-2010, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
Golly gosh. Shouldn't photographers worry more about the quality of their photographs?
My mind just exploded.

I agree.

08-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yeah, because no one should ever have a thought about why things are done the way they are done.

08-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Yeah, because no one should ever have a thought about why things are done the way they are done.

If you want to be a photography gear collector, you worry about the 'character' of your stuff.

If it's going to have any affect on your ability to take good photographs - fair enough. Otherwise it's a waste of time.
08-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Have you ever wondered why some people get so upset of another persons curiosity? That they feel the need to comment when they have nothing to contribute to the question asked. sort of like this post I am posting
08-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Ask Henri.

'Photography is nothing, it's life that interests me' - Henri Cartier-Bresson
08-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
'Photography is nothing, it's life that interests me' - Henri Cartier-Bresson
Exactly - in the end, what you capture of life is what matters as photographers. That's what I mean by quality. Not measurable IQ.

All the technical stuff is just one of the stepping stones. I can understand a certain percentage of the 'which lens is sharper' etc etc, but worrying about something like this makes no sense, unless you're someone who wants to spend the time looking at gear.

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin:
Have you ever wondered why some people get so upset of another persons curiosity? That they feel the need to comment when they have nothing to contribute to the question asked. sort of like this post I am posting
Just a point of view. I'm not having a go at the curiosity of why blades are black - fair enough - what I'm talking about is aperture blades adding 'character'. I'm trying to contribute that worrying about something like this will not help you take better photographs. But by all means, continue - I understand many people would disagree, which is why the K-x colours have been successful for Pentax.

Last edited by CWyatt; 08-07-2010 at 07:04 PM.
08-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Exactly - in the end, what you capture of life is what matters as photographers.
But not everyone here, and I'll include myself, has ambitions or pretensions of being a "photographer". Some of us are just artless hacks who like cameras and enjoy filling up an idle moment by taking pictures.

QuoteQuote:
All the technical stuff is just one of the stepping stones. I can understand a certain percentage of the 'which lens is sharper' etc etc, but worrying about something like this makes no sense, unless you're someone who wants to spend the time looking at gear.
I would find it something sort of vapid to be concerned about.....but not to be curious about. We're not always masters of the sort of odd things that spring to mind. And once the thought has sprung to mind, what is wrong with giving voice to it? Is it only those you judge to be sufficiently serious photographers who are allowed to wonder out loud?

And while none of the modern gear appeals to me, I could sit and look at vintage gear for hours in total fascination. What's wrong with spending time looking at gear? Is that activity not also a part of "life"? It is no more a misuse of time that could be spent taking photos than is watching television or movies....a couple of activities I consider largely pointless wastes of time, diversions from life instead of participation in life, but wouldn't fault others for enjoying if they so choose.

QuoteQuote:
Just a point of view. I'm trying to contribute that worrying about something like this will not help you take better photographs. But by all means, continue.
I don't think the OP had any notion that a cosmetic change to aperture blades would help anyone take better photographs, so while your contribution was valid it was also somewhat moot.

Now that the question has been brought up, I think it would be very interesting to see what sort of effect colored aperture blades would have on a photo.

Aside from the result it would (or would not) have on a photo it would be interesting to see the reactions of people photographed with one. Since the aperture blades on modern lenses are typically not noticeable at all when in the normal wide open position and since the blades are black, I believe a lot of people (including some D/SLR owners) have no idea at all that the aperture blades shut down during a shot. Having a lens give someone a bright red or brilliant yellow "wink" during a photo would certainly invite comment. At the very least a lot of people would learn about the existence of aperture blades and perhaps be inspired to inquire what they are and what they're for.....hence learning a bit about exposure.
08-07-2010, 10:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Now that the question has been brought up, I think it would be very interesting to see what sort of effect colored aperture blades would have on a photo.
Let's see, the iris is black to minimize reflections, right? But if the blades aren't too shiny and the glass is well-coated, reflections shouldn't be a problem. So there should be no good reason for not coloring the blades matte red, orange, green, polka-dot, etc. And they needn't be single-colored -- why not a harlequin iris? Or the blades could have patterns designed into their outer surfaces, forming... a toothy mouth... a bloodshot eye... a starfish... a planet... a brand name or logo, maybe even paid advertising... And if the pattern/design doesn't appear properly, that's a signal of lens trouble. Yeah, Perry Mason and the Case of the Tattletale Iris.
08-08-2010, 06:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Let's see, the iris is black to minimize reflections, right? But if the blades aren't too shiny and the glass is well-coated, reflections shouldn't be a problem. So there should be no good reason for not coloring the blades matte red, orange, green, polka-dot, etc. And they needn't be single-colored -- why not a harlequin iris? Or the blades could have patterns designed into their outer surfaces, forming... a toothy mouth... a bloodshot eye... a starfish... a planet... a brand name or logo, maybe even paid advertising... And if the pattern/design doesn't appear properly, that's a signal of lens trouble. Yeah, Perry Mason and the Case of the Tattletale Iris.
On some old lenses, the aperture blades are bare metal, not painted or coated any color.

This was from the days of non coated, or at the very beginnings of using coatings on lenses.