Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2010, 11:14 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale Quote
And I don't think that there are any hardware/software colour calbration systems for an iPad, like there are for real monitors (Spyder, Huey, etc)

So, what you see ain't necessarily what you get.

I speak as an early adopter of all things gadgetly, but the iPad has left me cold and I don't have one. But I will be looking at what the next generation of iPads brings....

My wishlist would include:

- colour calibration
- printing
- USB port(s) - preferably USB 3.0
- pressure sensitivity of the touchscreen, like the Wacom Cinque
- capacitative pen, like the Wacom pen, as an option
- 128Gb on board
- faster processor to run a modified version of Aperture coded for the iPad, and possibly Photoshop too.
- REAL multitasking

and many more, I'm sure.

Now one of THOSE - I would get!
You can print on an iPad if you jailbreak it, but I expect the 4.0 software update will allow you to do so.

Apple iDevices will NEVER have USB. Ever. You'll be waiting a long time

Capacitive pens do exist for the iPad. Check OZAKI 2010

Real multi-tasking is also available when jailbroken. In fact I use it every day.

Contrary to the people who have never used one and are dismissing the iPad as a legitimate photographers tool, I use my iPad while out shooting and especially when on vacation. It's a great way to temporarily store, review and edit photos. Photoshop quality it's not, but more than adequate to process RAW images, adjust exposure, levels, apply filters, and upload or email.

08-16-2010, 11:35 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by EdwardConde Quote
Anyone out there using an iPad along with their DSLR? Just curious to find out what apps other fellow owners are using on their iPads to edit/enhance pictures.

I use Photo FX Ultra, Photogene and Camera bag for all levels of editing. I find Photo FX Ultra to have the most bells and whistles of the group, but Photogene and Camerabag not too far behind. Why do i have 3 editing apps? Not sure, just wanted to have all the top rated apps available.

What are you using?
I use Photogene and Ultra F/x. Both are excellent. I also use:

Color Splash: Fun program that lets you color in object in BW photos or vice versa.
LightTrac: Gives you the angle of the sun at any location/time/season
TouchRetouch HD: remove unwanted content from photos
Tilt Shift Generator for iPad
Hipstamatic: iPhone app that with effects like old film cameras
DOF calculator
08-17-2010, 07:38 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The iPad has a nice screen but it's not 300ppi. It's 1024x768 on a 9.7" screen = 132ppi. The new iPhone 4 has a screen with 326ppi but I think it's overkill. (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_displays_by_pixel_density)

A few years ago I had the Toshiba E-800, 4" 640x480, 200ppi, very good for reading.

I do wish desktop screen would have much higher ppi. My sight is good enough that I can see the pixels. I will not upgrade my screens until someone release a high PPI screen.
08-18-2010, 11:05 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I am watching for the Asus Eee Tablet and MSI WindPad also I think LG is making one. Similar to the Ipad in dimensions but run Windows 7.

If the Ipad would run OS X I would own one, but for now it's just a giant Itouch which does not appeal to me.

Give me a tablet that runs a full OS and a nice screen and I'll be all over it.

Lee

08-19-2010, 11:03 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
I use mine with LR for ipad. It is really neat how the tethering work with that, even for our Pentax cameras. The software share similar interface with photoshop for ipad, so the flow is intuitive enough that you won't lose time learning it if you are already familiar. I had a third party vendor install a 1TB hard drive so I have plenty of space. THe wireless DSLR kit works pretty well, but a bit slow. With my 645D just few pics takes a life time to be downloaded.

Just kidding, dude.

I got an ipad, but unfortunately don't use it much for anything . . . I know I should, and I try but I go for days completely forgetting that I own one. Maybe I will take a picture of one today.

Dang it! You so had me. As soon as I heard LR for iPad and tethering, I was throwing all my credit cards at the computer.
08-19-2010, 10:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Windows tablets blow... you gotta worry about all the malware and all other sorts of stuff.. I could go for an OSX tablet... I think eventually OSX and iOS will eventually cross paths.... Android tablets look promising but Android is also starting to see their share of exploits and malware. WebOS may make a come back in 2011... we will see how that looks...

For me the iPad does what i need it to do. I use it more than my Macbook and Netbook.

But hey, different strokes for different folks!
08-21-2010, 01:59 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Windows 7 has yet to give me one hiccup as far as malware/virus's go. All I run on it is Microsoft Security Essentials. My work laptop is running XP because everyone refuses to upgrade and needs to have msconfig run once and a while to disable all the bs that wants to run in the background and slow it down.

I also have a Macbook with the latest OS X.

I have had issues with everything except 7 on all my pc's. The macbook overheats with video requiring a workaround by manually running the fan on max to use it for any form of streaming video. OS X lacks all the applications that windows has as well. It is easy to use but I would argue 7 is just as easy.

XP is ancient and Vista is a resource hog.

I like OS X but I hate apples hardware. It's pretty but lacks power. You can build a desktop for a fraction of the price that will scorch a top end mac in performance.

Win 7 is a really nice OS.