Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-22-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

PENTAX Photo Gallery: how to get out of there?

I have removed all my submissions but my name still appears in the list of artists. Is there any way to remove the entire account as well? (Without explicitly asking them to do it of course.)

08-22-2007, 06:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ivan Glisin Quote
I have removed all my submissions but my name still appears in the list of artists. Is there any way to remove the entire account as well? (Without explicitly asking them to do it of course.)
I'd contact them by email just as you did to enter. What made you decide to leave?
08-22-2007, 07:40 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you have accepted photos in the gallery, go to your artist account, select the "Photos" page and delete the accepted photos . . . same as the photos that were "pending review".

If you actually want to have your name removed from the artist file, I think you will need to request that via email . . .

Hope this helps.
08-23-2007, 05:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rprii Quote
If you have accepted photos in the gallery, go to your artist account, select the "Photos" page and delete the accepted photos . . . same as the photos that were "pending review".
Thanks! I did what you suggested yesterday and my name was still on the list. However, I checked this morning and it's gone. I was expecting this to happen automatically (0 photos = not listed) but it did not. A bit of patience on my side would have helped. Thanks anyway!

08-23-2007, 05:57 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks! I did what you suggested yesterday and my name was still on the list. However, I checked this morning and it's gone. I was expecting this to happen automatically (0 photos = not listed) but it did not. A bit of patience on my side would have helped. Thanks anyway!
Wow! Considering all the problems they have had with the site, I am really surprised that the application is smart enough to do that . . . glad you did not have to make a special request
08-23-2007, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PaulAndAPentax Quote
I'd contact them by email just as you did to enter.
Thanks, but apparently it is enough to remove all submissions (see my other post).

QuoteQuote:
What made you decide to leave?
Long story (warning: rant-like content ahead. Reader's discretion is advised):

At the beginning I was expecting that PPG will evolve into something "presentable" in a way that it would make sense putting URL on a business card or something similar. So no PBase, no Photo.net or Zenfolio, go with PPG). I submitted 4 photos and all four got accepted, which was encouraging. So far so good.

Then I started playing with the application itself and (as I expressed elsewhere) I was far from happy with the site implementation, user interface and cumbersome navigation, unnecessary and extensive use of Flash, apparent lack of any real architecture behind the Flash pages, and overall feel of amateurish and incomplete development, so I stopped uploading waiting for the official release and hoping they will fix problems.

After the official release almost everything stayed the same. Even lens list is still not sorted and is close to impossible to browse, there were no "K" lenses there, and there were even several mistakes nobody cared to fix for a long time (such as 1335mm lens).

And then started that avalanche of submissions of, er... questionable quality. I don't think am an artist and I never liked their idea to call all Pentax photographers submitting photographs "artists" (which also implies that if you are using Pentax equipment you are automatically an "artist", so you can buy the status by buying Pentax, right?). In addition, after seeing some accepted submissions, that "artist" assumption become in fact laughable. (I bet that competition is browsing Pentax-proclaimed "art" and laughing out loud.) Not a surprise: after all, Pentax openly claims that they are not good at marketing and self-promotion. Oh well.

And the last straw: an invitation to become a "Pentaxian". What?!?! That made me feel bad and after a bit of contemplation I decided to pull the plug. I started photography hobby with Pentax and I have had some sort of emotional attachment to Pentax. But after PPG went live and especially seeing "Become a Pentaxian" campaign I do not have it anymore. I now see Pentax as just another corporation manufacturing good equipment and fighting mercilessly for their market share, nothing more, nothing less.

Bottom line: in general I have decided to stay away from "corporate-centric" or "brand-centric" self promotion in the future, photography related or not. Once a corporation starts paying me I may rethink the idea. What Pentax has done with Benjamin Kanarek is perfectly OK approach and that is what Pentax should do more with other professionals and real artists, not promoting me to an "artist" or "Pentaxian" and creating an illusion. As long as I am paying them -- no way.
08-23-2007, 06:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rprii Quote
Wow! Considering all the problems they have had with the site, I am really surprised that the application is smart enough to do that . . . glad you did not have to make a special request
Considering the delay I won't be surprised to learn that someone had to update the list of "artists" manually! :-))) But again, maybe my browser just had the list cashed for some time.

08-23-2007, 08:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

(Without explicitly asking them to do it of course.)
That's what I had to do. Send an email to the same address you used to request an account.
08-23-2007, 12:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Are you kidding?

You really don't want your photos featured alongside such timeless treasures as this?:

I WISH I was kidding, but this shot was actually submitted this morning.
08-23-2007, 12:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

unbelievable............
08-23-2007, 01:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Tom,
what's wrong with that shot? it's a nice - er.. well - light blue sky and trees, reflected in a beautiful pool of - er... algae, and edge to edge is the sharpest picture I've ever...

sorry, I was just kidding, but the more I look at that photo, makes me feel ill.

I've got some shots in (the Pentax gallery) myself. And while sometimes they rejected what I thought were my best images, I didn't submit absolute crap (like above) either.

Maybe they would be better off limiting people to 5 submissions per week. Would give time to review existing submissions, and maybe force people to think harder about what they submit.
Just a thought.

Last edited by khardur; 08-23-2007 at 01:15 PM. Reason: bad grammar - and to think I type for a living
08-23-2007, 02:19 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is another beauty . . .

QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
Tom,
what's wrong with that shot? it's a nice - er.. well - light blue sky and trees, reflected in a beautiful pool of - er... algae, and edge to edge is the sharpest picture I've ever...

sorry, I was just kidding, but the more I look at that photo, makes me feel ill.

I've got some shots in (the Pentax gallery) myself. And while sometimes they rejected what I thought were my best images, I didn't submit absolute crap (like above) either.

Maybe they would be better off limiting people to 5 submissions per week. Would give time to review existing submissions, and maybe force people to think harder about what they submit.
Just a thought.
Here is another beauty from yesterday . . . just imagine what this artist could do with a Bigma
Attached Images

08-23-2007, 02:51 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
You really don't want your photos featured alongside such timeless treasures as this?:

What the hell is it??? You're Kidding this was accepted. I've sent some really nice shots in and all were rejected. So I haven't submitted any more. I really don't think these people know what art is. And the picture of the birds before I had my eye surgery I still took better photo then that and I didn't think they were acceptable. Why would some one even consider these good shots???
I'm glad I don't have anything on the site.
08-23-2007, 03:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
That's priceless!
08-23-2007, 03:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
What the hell is it??? You're Kidding this was accepted. I've sent some really nice shots in and all were rejected. So I haven't submitted any more. I really don't think these people know what art is. And the picture of the birds before I had my eye surgery I still took better photo then that and I didn't think they were acceptable. Why would some one even consider these good shots???
I'm glad I don't have anything on the site.
It was submitted...no way in h*ll it'll be accepted.....if it is, I'm out and buying a D300!

Last edited by PaulAndAPentax; 08-23-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Closed Thread