Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2010, 09:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My Favorite Focal Length for Studio Fashion

Everyone I know in the business have their preferences regarding focal lengths for different applications. I tend to work quite a bit shorter than most when it comes to working in closed quarters in a studio environment. I specify this for a reason. Studio work is a fixed space that you set up lights in and know what those dimensions are for the whole day of the shoot. Unlike interior location shoots where you often have to change settings and adapt your focal lengths to the circumstances.

It is for this reason, that I often find myself using a wide angle zoom in non studio environments. My focal length of choice in 75% of my studio shoots is around 60-75mm i.e. 40-50mm in the 1.5 ratio APS-C sensor cameras. But I tend to shoot closer to the former. I have read on several forums that the majority of shooters tend to shoot quite a bit longer i.e. 90-120mm i.e. 60-80mm 1.5 ration APS-C sensor cameras. I find that getting in closer to the model, allows you to communicate on a different level which in my opinion is more immediate. I am also not that fond of (at least at this juncture in time) that compressed long focal length look. All of the major brands have focal lengths that fill this criteria.

I have on occasion shot shorter than the above at around 30mm (45mm) APS-C, with very pleasing results, but for this focal length I need to work in studio's with very high ceilings, as I more often than not am sitting or lying on the floor when shooting. I also need the much larger seamless when using this wider focal length or just work off of a bare studio cyclo wall.

Shooting at these shorter focal lengths most certainly have a distinctively modern edgy look about them (at least for now)...So don't be afraid to experiment with shorter than the recommended norm for fashion work. It may give you a bit of the edge to stand out from the rest of the very highly populated crowd.

Would love to get your feedback...

Benjamin Kanarek Blog | Benjamin Kanarek Blog

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot G6  Photo 
08-09-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
MSM
Veteran Member

@Ben: Thanks for the tip. I saw some of your video's on your site. One of the clips looked like you were using the 40 mm. It was a brief shot and I wasn't sure if it was the 40 or 70 mm. Now I know.
08-09-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For the majority of true model work I did in the 70s (albeit not on a high professional level), plus portraits, I don't see how getting closer to and in the subject's face makes it more comfortable for most subjects.

I like to give them lots of room to feel comfortable and not intimidated at all.

But I totally understand the unique perspectives that going wider and getting closer provides you, so it depends on the situation.
08-09-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
@Ben: Thanks for the tip. I saw some of your video's on your site. One of the clips looked like you were using the 40 mm. It was a brief shot and I wasn't sure if it was the 40 or 70 mm. Now I know.
It has been pretty much the 40mm for studio and the 12-24 and 16-50 for indoor location stuff. But hang in for my next article where I talk about which Pentax lens I use for Beauty stuff.

08-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
It has been pretty much the 40mm for studio and the 12-24 and 16-50 for indoor location stuff. But hang in for my next article where I talk about which Pentax lens I use for Beauty stuff.
So in another words, when you said this:

"Would love to get your feedback..."

You didn't really mean it, right? And we're supposed to "hang in" for your next article?

How FRENCH of you!!!
08-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
So in another words, when you said this:

"Would love to get your feedback..."

You didn't really mean it, right? And we're supposed to "hang in" for your next article?

How FRENCH of you!!!
I'm not French...I am Anglo Canadian and why so bitter?
08-09-2010, 02:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

is that your da 40mm with the serial no. 18? that is too cool

08-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I know it's not textbook, but I really like the look of portraits when they are correctly taken with wider angle lenses. The FA31 is still one of my favorites for taking photos of people from a medium range.
08-09-2010, 06:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Well Ben, I am in the process of setting up a small studio here in my Downtown Gallery, and although it will be strictly amateur and not a for profit operation, I plan on using some good equipment and some good glass. I think the DA*50-135 might do well for portraits, but my real hope is in my Nokton 58mm f1.4. I love this small lens, and think it may offer the best qualities I am looking for unless I venture into the Ltds.
It is just under the range you mentioned, but not by much.......

Sorry I don't have a squirrel for you in this reply.....oh wait!...I do have a Nokton 58mm Squirrel at F1.4.....those are not sensor specks, they are tiny mosquitoes behind his ear.
[IMG][/IMG]

Best Regards
Rupert
08-10-2010, 05:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I know it's not textbook, but I really like the look of portraits when they are correctly taken with wider angle lenses. The FA31 is still one of my favorites for taking photos of people from a medium range.
The FA31 is beyond excellent...But, this may seem strange, but when shooting interior location shoots, one of my all time fav's is the Pentax DA 12-24

Image Below shot with the Pentax DA 12-24
Attached Images

08-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
The FA31 is beyond excellent...But, this may seem strange, but when shooting interior location shoots, one of my all time fav's is the Pentax DA 12-24

Image Below shot with the Pentax DA 12-24
Do you have any advice for shooting models at this wide range? I've noticed photos that I like taken with the Canon 24 f/1.4 for example always seem to place the subject in the center, which I imagine is done both for optimizing sharpness and to avoid potential distortion at the edges. Would you have any other suggestions from your experience?
08-11-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Well, I appreciate that advise Ben, but I am afraid that it is not workable to any appreciable success with Squirrel shooting......Most Squirrels draw the line around 70mm. I did once get a shot of Mama Festus with the 16mm Zenitar, but she made me delete it....said it made her look fat.

Baby Otie won't mind 70mm....
Attachment 68189

Just wondering.....would you consider sending me a few of your lovely models to shoot......if I sent you a box of Squirrels?
Best Regards!

Last edited by Rupert; 05-30-2015 at 12:05 PM.