Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2007, 04:37 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mtnbearhug Quote
My goodness.. all the choices... I am the only one with my head spinning..

I am a list person myself.. so here are the ones that have been listed thus far.. to make it easier.. (I didn't copy any links , sorry)

ofoto.com
Shutterfly.com (mentioned a couple times)
mpix.com (mentioned a couple times)
ezprints.com
Snapfish.com
Dotphoto.com (good, cheap large prints)
Adoramapix.com
Smugmug.com
PePhoto.com (Good large photo pricing)
White house Custom color (see original thread for link)
Ritzpic.com
Costco
York Photo

please add to this list or add any comments..
Added to the list

08-24-2007, 05:18 PM   #17

I do "one-off" 4x6's myself on my Canon CP-300 which is a dye sublimation printer. It's extra-cool that the paper is actually a 4x6 postcard, so if you want to send it to a friend, you can just fill out the back, throw on a stamp, and send it along. With the clearcoat it puts on top, they're tougher than even a professional matte print.

But at .50 cents a print, it's not the cheapest way to go.

When I want do print more than 10 or so pics from a shoot, I use either Walmart, or my local photo shop, depending on my time requirements.

Walmart is nice, only because I can upload 100+ shots and pick them up at the local store 1 hour later. The price is right, too.

I've just signed up for a Smugmug account, but I haven't ordered prints from them yet. If their prints are as good as their website, I will probably switch over to them for my non-time-critical bulk printing.

-Chris
09-14-2007, 09:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use White House Custom Color (WHCC) almost exclusively. I've ordered everything in between a wallet and a 16x20, and odd sizes as well (like 10x30). Their prices and MPix are pretty much the same.

Top quality prints, incredibly fast turnaround (I've uploaded in early morning hours (1-2 AM) and they're ready to ship by the morning hours), excellent packaging, and free UPS 2 day shipping for orders over $12.

The only time I go elsewhere are last minute prints, small orders I can't bundle with others, or my macro nature shots. For those I go local. I've become acquainted with a local lab that uses Fuji Frontier machine. That machine gives me the most stunning colors for my nature shots, though it costs a bit more than shipping them out to WHCC.
09-18-2007, 07:18 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Has anyone used IPrintFromHome.com? I spent a whole afternoon reviewing places online, and these guys seemed to strike a good compromise between quality printing and price. They seemed aimed more towards the artsy photographer than the holiday-pic mass printer. They even send you a free pack containing a sample of each of their papers (and 35mm slides!) with a photo and Calibration Control Image printed on each. All these are then available on their website so you can make sure your prints come out looking like you want them to. Also, if your pic is a non-standard size, you can decide whether you want it cropped or have whitespace added to make it the right proportions for 5x7, 8x10 or whatever.

As their shipping is flat-rate, I'm waiting to have a sizeable order to send in. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

09-18-2007, 08:29 PM   #20
Veteran Member

at the police station
09-19-2007, 12:37 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I get my local camera shop to print them up for me.

He charges me $40.00 for a 24x36" print, which may sound pricey to some people. However he doesn't roll it up making it easier to work with
Plus I've had 1 rolled up photograph not straighten up for me making it impossible to sell
I should mention that he charges most people $50.00, so if anyone here ends up moving to my area they might want to talk to me about it, and see if I can help them get my discounts there.

I used to go to London Drugs, but had a couple of problems with quality.
Once where their print heads weren't aligned, and they wouldn't re-print it for me.
They claimed that the problem must have been with my photo, even though you could physically see the inks not lining up.
This photo was pre-sold and I had to deliver it right away. I wonder why I haven't been called back by that customer
He's my only non-returning customer.

Plus that's where the photo that wouldn't flatten out came from.

Their prices are good though, and if it wasn't for the print head problem I'd return there
09-21-2007, 08:49 PM   #22

Hello everyone! I want to print a photo 11.5 inch X 11.5 inch (or 12X12). Where can i find a place that does this? Preferably, it would be best if i could do/order it online. I am located in Ontario.

09-21-2007, 09:18 PM   #23
Forum Member

Whoops, my apologies for double posting. I posted and caught this thread afterwards. I second the mpix.com for getting your prints done. The metallic paper is just incredible, and you can download their ICC profiles to get the perfect print.

If i'm in a hurry, and I need a print done within the same day, Costco has a good photo lab with profiles you can download online at Dry Creek Photo for your local Costco.
09-21-2007, 09:57 PM   #24

I have been to every single one of the websites noted earlier in this thread, but i keep on running into the same obstacles. Either they dont' ship to canada, or they don't have the size i want. Mpix seems to be really popular, and their website is pretty impressive. but they don't print 12X12. I need exactly this size. Am i out of luck? I'll try my university and see if that's do-able.
09-21-2007, 10:32 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Tingchaleun,
Your asking for an oddball size. However hear me out.

If you want I can lay out a sheet of 6 images that size for you. This would be printed on a 24" x 36" sheet.
You could also work it out to be 2 images that size, and 1 24" x 24" on the same page
Cut these images apart, and they're the size you want.

I would usually charge for 1 hour of computer time to do this, but I'll give you a freebie this time if you want.
You'll probably be able to do the same thing yourself next time as well.

If you can't get a 24x36" image printed off for you, London Drugs can do it at around $30.00 Canadian.
They're based out of Western Canada, but do have an on-line photo lab. They will ship it to you at a very reasonable price.

Unless you buy your own photo printer or find someone with a 12" roll printer this is your only reasonable alternative.

If you want me to lay that page out for you please send me a PM, and I'll tell you what size I would require, and where to e-mail it to.
09-22-2007, 05:47 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Glad to see some new options to try. I was a die hard Sony Imagestation user, but they are shutting down I have tried SO many of them and Sony beat them all in the quality dept. The only near comparison is Clark. I just placed an order with Shutterfly because Sony farmed out their customers to them... we'll see how they do.

I am going to try mpix and adorama next, I have heard good things about both.
09-22-2007, 02:00 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Tingchaleun,
Your asking for an oddball size. However hear me out.

If you want I can lay out a sheet of 6 images that size for you. This would be printed on a 24" x 36" sheet.
You could also work it out to be 2 images that size, and 1 24" x 24" on the same page
Cut these images apart, and they're the size you want.

I would usually charge for 1 hour of computer time to do this, but I'll give you a freebie this time if you want.
You'll probably be able to do the same thing yourself next time as well.

If you can't get a 24x36" image printed off for you, London Drugs can do it at around $30.00 Canadian.
They're based out of Western Canada, but do have an on-line photo lab. They will ship it to you at a very reasonable price.

Unless you buy your own photo printer or find someone with a 12" roll printer this is your only reasonable alternative.

If you want me to lay that page out for you please send me a PM, and I'll tell you what size I would require, and where to e-mail it to.
Thanks Little Laker, that is a genius idea. I was lost when you mentioned "computer time". Do you mean i would have to stitch together 6 separate photographs into a 24X36 collage? Or, is it even possible to print on a 12X18 and request that the image not be stretched? If that is the case, then i could just go to a local grocery store to do this and see what they say.

Last edited by Tingchaleun; 09-22-2007 at 02:11 PM.
09-22-2007, 02:05 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It doesn't have to be two of the same size. As long as you can handle the cutting part, you can throw in just about any photosizes as long as you allow yourself room to cut/trim.

We do this regularly when we need odd sizes. If we can't throw in images to fill, we just pad the empty parts black/white and trim it out as needed.
09-22-2007, 03:47 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Tingchaleun, I forgot that they print up 12 x 18" photo's

You could try just sending them the actual 12 x 12 image and hope for the best.
But I wouldn't trust any worker working at on-line photo developing service to do the right thing.

Since your already paying for that additional 6" x 12" paper you may as well get something else developed on it.
Or like Frogroast says fill it with Black or something so they aren't tempted to stretch the image to fit.
Just leave a little room between the images for the cut. Around 1/8" is usually all that you need.

When I've wanted the developers to stretch images before they haven't and vice versa, so I always lay everything out like I want it now.
I haven't had a problem since I started doing this.
09-23-2007, 09:26 AM   #30
Veteran Member

My first from Adoramapix

Just got my first 8 x 10 and 8 X12 pictures back from Adorama. They were in my mailbox in less than 4 days, they were dirt cheap. and the quality seems to be outstanding.

The color is exactly what I saw on my monitor so guess I'll keep using them.

Regards,

Ken