Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2010, 07:55 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
72Hr turnaround times for CR Kennedy

I've seen some threads givving CR kenedy some slack and how (to a certain extent ) Pentax is not "Pro" because of slow repair times etc.

If i may, here's my two rupes worth.

This year I’ve had some horrible accidents happen to my gear, Firstly, in March I had my K20D with 16-45 on a tripod (fully extended), the tripod toppled over and camera landed lens first into the ground. The 16-45 had a clump of dirt stuck to the filter but was fine and still is (now that impressive) but my K20D was not so lucky. My K20 was bricked and would not even turn on (and I was 4 day out from a surf contest I was meant to cover. . .) Upon closer inspection the shutter box seemed to be out and the spring holding the aperture leaver fell out, along with the bottom plate of the camera (I had a grip attached) was cracked and there was a bulge where the tripod mount was from the force of the impact.

I took the camera into CR Kennedy here in Sydney and explained to them what happened. I know a few of the guys who work there at CR Kennedy, from calling them up every now and then asking when new stock and prices of items. so I asked politely if it was possible to get this fixed as soon as possible.

CR Kennedy had the Shutter box replaced, base plate replaced, Main board replaced and fitted new weather sealed o-rings to my AF switch along with a sensor clean and got the camera shipped back to me within 4 day. When I got my camera back I noticed that at high ISO there was some banding. Brought it back to them and they had the camera sent back to me, fixed in 3 days. That is, handing in the camera to them at 4:00pm, then CR Kennedy had my camera overnight airmailed to the repair centre in Melbourne, Got the Head Tech to call me and apologise for the return of my camera in a defective state and explained that it was due to the fact that the sensor was not calibrated to the new main board (a test that they admitted to missing) had the camera recalibrated and send back to Sydney and ready to be picked up in the morning.

A month later my Metz 48 as well also bricked, one week out from a music festival , I took the flash in, explained the problem. CRK then sent my unit to Melbourne that day had it replaced with a new one with a new warranty and sent to my door all within 3 day. They even provided me with the air mail tracking number.

All in all I've had some pretty good experience with CRK, They have replaced parts for me that were not asked to be replaced (orings etc) and i've had some very speedy returns with units, What it comes down to is being polite and asking if there is anything that can do in order to speed up this case. ask for the Repair number, that way when you call them next then can track the progress of your repair.
Sure there has been cases where repairs have taken months but if you call then often and ask politely the status that will keep them on your toes because sometimes your repair may get forgotten. They now send repairs via Australian Air Express to Melbourne from Sydney and vica-versa every night.

Some people you many want to talk to if you have any problems.

Trudy: Receptionist at CR K here in Sydney, In the unfortunate event you have a issue that is the person you will be talking to.

Corey: Sales, Sydney ( I think) and also passionate about photography aswell (although being a Canon shooter :P) If you have an unusual problem/ repair notify him about it, He'll make sure you are being looked after.

George G: NSW sales rep: any problems re. Unsatisfactory service contact this bloke. Also knows when new stock and prices come in.

Rob: Head repair tech in Melbourne. Before you send you equipment in to be repaired, contact him as explain the problem, he will either tell you a self- solution or if it needs to be sent in for repair, if it does need to be sent in for repair ask him what parts in possible would need to be replaced, that way he can check if that part is in stock in there warehouse (and then can leave one aside for you) or if it needs to be order in and if it does need to be ordered in he my do it there so by the time your equipment reaches Melbourne the parts should be in stock.

So in sum-up:

Be persistent but polite and respectful.
Keep in contact often
contact the right people
If you have a legitimate reason for a speedy repair eg. Work etc, let them know. CR Kennedy also handle Lecia and Hasselblad so they know how important it is to be efficient with turnaround times for working photogs.
And have a bit of faith, the guys at CRK tend to do a good job.

hope this helps

http://www.crkennedy.com.au/v1/
(02) 9552 8300

Last edited by Ben Hunt; 08-13-2010 at 08:23 AM.
08-13-2010, 08:25 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
To the Mods, I think this may be in the wrong place, if it is, could you please move it, thankyou
08-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks for that - it's good to hear that CRK can provide that level of service.

As they distribute not only Pentax stuff, but also Sigma lenses here in Australia, there are a lot of dealings with CRK either directly or via a retailer among the Aussie Pentax users. I've not had any need for severe repairs like the ones you needed (yet) but I do need to get a couple of Sigma lenses recalibrated.

Given that I'm in Brisbane, I have to deal with the local retailer (in my case it's Digital Camera Warehouse) who then has to deal with CRKennedy. Those contacts you posted are very useful - many thanks for those. It would be worth a polite phone call, methinks, just to make sure that there is no breakdown in communication between me handing the lenses in here, and them getting to Melbourne.

And you're right - gentle, polite, and respectful approaches will usually get things done, whereas angry, annoyed, aggressive antics tend to be counterproductive.