Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2010, 03:33 PM   #16
Pentaxian

I subscribed to Modern and Popular in the '70s, OP in the 80s, and this year started back with Shutterbug and OP. I added Popular about 3 mo. ago, partly to get some frequent flier miles. Got the miles, but the first magazine hasn't shown up yet.

I enjoy both Shutterbug and OP, although I'd try to find a deal, and wouldn't hesitate to let them expire if I could then find a better "new subscriber" deal somewhere.

Paul

08-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Here's another vote for Photo Techniques magazine, a UK one. I buy it in the local Barnes and Noble shop and like it because it has very detailed articles on technical and compositional subjects.
I totally agree. American magazines are 90% about making advertising dollars. The Brit publications much less so. Go to someplace the has a lot of magazines, like a Barnes & Noble or a magazine stand. Quickly go through any magazine and notice what percentage is about selling stuff. That includes reviews.

I realized that when I dropped my magazine subscriptions that I also dropped a lot of gear envy and craving. Yes, waiting for that next issue in the mail can be a good feeling. However, there are some superb online resources that far surpass most magazines in how-to information, both in depth and breadth.
08-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I went to a Barnes and Noble the other day to look at the photography magazines and also noticed that the UK magazines are much better than Pop photo, shutterbug or outdoor. But they are also $29.99 to buy them here in the states (or at least at Barnes and Nobles). The UK magazines seemed to have a lot more on photography how to and tips whereas the US magazines were 50% ads, 40% reviews of new toys and 10% how to.
08-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Yeah but the brit magazine are also $12-15 a piece, versus $5 for the american ones. There a reason that there is so much ad space in magazine, it's the only way they make money. The less people buy magazine, the less the ad space gets sold and the lower each space is worth. So not buying magazines because there are too many ads is just another nail in the coffin. The more people buy a magazine, the higher the circulation of that mag, and therefore the more each individual ad space is worth. So, then they can charge more for ads, and not need to run so many of them to meet budget needs. Subscription rates and stand sales are nickels and dimes compared to the ad income. The only reason even have subscriptions is so that they can go to advertisers and say, "this is how many people read our magazine a month." So by supporting magazines and continuing to buy them, you actually help the problem, not because of your $5, but because you help raise the number of readers, and therefore value of ad space. Magazine are a terrific resource, and it would be terrible for them to go the way of the buffalo. then we would be left with the internet where there is too much info, and not much of it is reliable; and last time I checked, there are just as many ads...

08-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Yeah but the brit magazine are also $12-15 a piece, versus $5 for the american ones. There a reason that there is so much ad space in magazine, it's the only way they make money. The less people buy magazine, the less the ad space gets sold and the lower each space is worth. So not buying magazines because there are too many ads is just another nail in the coffin. The more people buy a magazine, the higher the circulation of that mag, and therefore the more each individual ad space is worth. So, then they can charge more for ads, and not need to run so many of them to meet budget needs. Subscription rates and stand sales are nickels and dimes compared to the ad income. The only reason even have subscriptions is so that they can go to advertisers and say, "this is how many people read our magazine a month." So by supporting magazines and continuing to buy them, you actually help the problem, not because of your $5, but because you help raise the number of readers, and therefore value of ad space. Magazine are a terrific resource, and it would be terrible for them to go the way of the buffalo. then we would be left with the internet where there is too much info, and not much of it is reliable; and last time I checked, there are just as many ads...
Buying a US subscription could also have an adverse affect if the magazine company is greedy (which they may or may not be). If Pop Photo sales goes up by 100% this year compared to last year they might see that as an opportunity to tell their advertisers, "look, we increased sales by 100% and therefore more people are seeing your ads and that is why our $ for ads have gone up". It will give Pop Photo more incentive to do more advertising.

But in any case I think both of our arguments are irrelevant because if what you say is true and more subscribers will = less advertisements, it will take a long time to phase out the advertising in a US magazine.

I just wish the UK magazines were not so expensive. I saw one that was thick and full of numerous articles on "how to's". I really wanted to buy that mag but it was $29.99.
08-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
I have read some short books and websites on photography but was considering a monthly subscription to either Popular Photography or Shutterbug. Are any of these magazines or any other ones for that matter worth it? I want a magazine that will not only show whats new and for sale but will have good articles/reviews, and more importantly good tips for general photography. I am always wanting to read and learn more about photography. Can someone please point me in the right direction?
I get Popular Photography, and if I were a Photoshop user it might be helpful, but other than articles on Photoshop and some somewhat shallow articles on new equipment, I wouldn't recommend it. I happen to use Paintshop Photo Pro X3 as my post processing software and the publication never talks about any processing software other than Photoshop. I'll glance through it when it comes in, but beyond that, I don't get much good out of it.
08-19-2010, 01:51 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
I totally agree. American magazines are 90% about making advertising dollars. The Brit publications much less so. Go to someplace the has a lot of magazines, like a Barnes & Noble or a magazine stand. Quickly go through any magazine and notice what percentage is about selling stuff. That includes reviews.

I realized that when I dropped my magazine subscriptions that I also dropped a lot of gear envy and craving. Yes, waiting for that next issue in the mail can be a good feeling. However, there are some superb online resources that far surpass most magazines in how-to information, both in depth and breadth.
I tend to find this the case as well. The US mags seem to be loaded with fluff, gear related articles (direct or indirect) and marketing; Bold proclamations on the cover, but lacking on actual content inside. The 'brit' ones seem much better (more walking the talk). This is not only with photography, but many other areas of interests as well (ie. cycling; triathlons; homes and funishings; wargaming; etc)

I've had luck to gather a years worth of dated Practical Photography mags from the local library sale at approx $0.60 per copy. You may want to check if your local library does this as well. At least the theory is applicable but the gears are outdated so no LBA for them

Overall, mags would have to cater for the fresh readers, so they tend to be on the more basic side and repeat themselves every now and then. Actual photography books of specific interests, and the internet would be better after perhaps a one year worth of mags.

08-21-2010, 03:59 PM   #23

"Practical Photography" (I think it is a UK magazine) I enjoy. If you have access to it, I suggest buying one or browsing one at least and see if you like it.

It is very much an middle range magazine, that focuses on technique and subject matter. There is a little for beginners and a lot for enthuisiast/pro. I've never been disappointed with it when I get a copy.

Edit: I am of the type, where I prefer to ocassionally browse the magazines and may buy something that appeals. I do not subscribe to any magazine.
08-21-2010, 08:51 PM   #24
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

For me, I kind of enjoy some of the ads......and I have found some nice Free software in some issues, that were worth more than the cost of the subscriptions. Along with building a little enthusiasm when I get a new idea, it seems a small price to pay for a couple of subscriptions. Granted most of the merchandise and articles do not relate directly to me or my shooting, and I am never going to go on an African Safari........but I am not ever going to get a go at a Playboy Model either....sometimes just looking is a good thing! Mrs Ruperts opinion may vary......
Regards!
08-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #25
Site Supporter

One thing I don't like about mag subscriptions is that you don't get the extras that come with the news stand copies such as CDs, guides, etc.
08-24-2010, 09:41 AM   #26
axl
Veteran Member

I used to by buying magazine here in UK. After while it gets boring. They bring out the same topics periodically and then you just stop buying it. I'd say 1 max 2 seasons are worth it...
08-24-2010, 02:58 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I used to by buying magazine here in UK. After while it gets boring. They bring out the same topics periodically and then you just stop buying it. I'd say 1 max 2 seasons are worth it...
I would really like to buy some UK photo mags here but they are $29.99 each. I went to a Barne's and Noble's and I cannot remember the exact names of the mags but the UK ones were much more informative than the US mags.

Maybe i'll just buy an issue here and there, but still, $29.99, I might as well buy a bunch of books for that $.
08-24-2010, 03:08 PM   #28
Veteran Member

US$30?? Wow. We get them in New Zealand at about US$8-10 equivalent, I think. But then we get all the UK mags and no US ones I know of.

Last edited by CWyatt; 08-24-2010 at 04:15 PM.
08-24-2010, 04:06 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
I would really like to buy some UK photo mags here but they are $29.99 each. I went to a Barne's and Noble's and I cannot remember the exact names of the mags but the UK ones were much more informative than the US mags.

Maybe i'll just buy an issue here and there, but still, $29.99, I might as well buy a bunch of books for that $.
The UK offerings seem to range from ~ $8 to 15 at the local B.A.M.
08-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
US$30?? Wow. We get them in New Zealand at about US$8-10 equivalent, I think. But then we get all the UK mags and no US ones I know of.
If you get the UK mags then you don't want the US mags, haha.

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The UK offerings seem to range from ~ $8 to 15 at the local B.A.M.
What is B.A.M.?