Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2010, 09:58 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
. . .

What is B.A.M.?
Books-A-Million

Books-A-Million Online Bookstore : Buy Discount Books Music Movies Magazines : Booksamillion .com

08-25-2010, 05:25 AM   #32
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would really like to buy some UK photo mags here but they are $29.99 each. I went to a Barne's and Noble's and I cannot remember the exact names of the mags but the UK ones were much more informative than the US mags.

Maybe i'll just buy an issue here and there, but still, $29.99, I might as well buy a bunch of books for that $.
If you are not after new reviews but after how to articles I'll see if I don't have some of my older ones lying around. If you would pay few pennies more than shipping I'll happily send them to you. Let me know.

Peter
08-25-2010, 09:04 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
If you are not after new reviews but after how to articles I'll see if I don't have some of my older ones lying around. If you would pay few pennies more than shipping I'll happily send them to you. Let me know.

Peter
Thank you for the consideration and I will get back to you on that soon.
08-25-2010, 11:01 AM   #34

Some UK recommendations....

I went to a Barnes and Noble the other day to look at the photography magazines and also noticed that the UK magazines are much better than Pop photo, shutterbug or outdoor. But they are also $29.99 to buy them here in the states (or at least at Barnes and Nobles). The UK magazines seemed to have a lot more on photography how to and tips whereas the US magazines were 50% ads, 40% reviews of new toys and 10% how to.
I won't tell you how much they charge for Pop Photo and Shutterbug here in the UK, but let's just say that it's enough that they must remain a (very) minority interest!

Of the UK mags, the best magazine by far about photography, but not about kit, is The British Journal of Photography. It's expensive even over here, but it's like taking a monthly trip to a thought-provoking photography gallery. The production values (quality of the print, everything) are vastly in excess of any other widely-available photography magazine I've seen and it's worth picking up at least every now and again.

The best magazine that does a nice combination of photography, technique and kit is the only weekly one that I think is still in existence: Amateur Photographer. Quite often, there is more worth reading in this weekly magazine than there is in some of our monthlies. The camera and lens reviews are the best I've seen outside of the web.

The glossy monthlies can also be interesting on occasion, and tend to have some good issues intersperced with ones of less interest. Photography Monthly has its moments, as does Digital SLR. Black and White Photography and Outdoor Photographer (not the same as their US counterparts) can also be good. After a while some of the monthlies do tend to fit into a standard form though: it's June! Let's do an issue about wedding photography! It's the Summer! Let's do a special on landscapes! And don't forget to slavishly obey the rule of thirds! And all shots of water must be taken with an ND filter because it is essential that you turn a moving transparent liquid into a solid mass of milk.... You get the picture.

08-25-2010, 01:11 PM   #35
Veteran Member

The British Journal of Photography also has a good website and good facebook updates.